Best Luggage to Use for Cruise?

globe9

Hi All,

I usually take a cruise vacation about once a year along with 3 or 4 land based vacations a year. I've been using a Samsonite garment bag for the better part of 10 years now as my main piece of luggage. Still looks almost like new! This thing is bulletproof it seems, but it is quite large and can be bulky when fully packed. It also does not have wheels.

The GF got a cheapie American Tourister rolling pullman(I think it's a 24" size, but it could be a 21"...not sure, but it's NOT huge or tiny...kind of inbetween.) It has the 360 degree spinner wheels and is VERY easy to travel with. However, I have noticed it's already got tears in the material from baggage handlers, etc. It's about 2 years old and she's used it maybe 7 times.

I'm interested in a getting a similar upright pullman for use as my main suitcase. I don't mind spending a little $, but don't want to spend over $200 either for a 24" pullman. Does anyone have any opinions on what is a good brand that will last a long time? I've looked in Wal-Mart, Target etc. and see a lot of American Tourister's, Swiss Army, Jeep brand, etc. Also checked places like J.C. Penney, and even T.J. Maxx who has ALL kinds of brands. I'm just soooo confused at all the different brands and price points out there.

I also heard that some brands that USED to be good, re: Samsonite, are not as well made anymore. Then there are the brands like Travel Pro, etc.

Could really use some help here. Thanks!

I have a Wenger/Swiss Army wheeled garment bag. I've had it about three years and it has stood up pretty well to baggage handlers and all the other normal travel hazards. I would recommend this brand to anyone.

I've used my Skyway luggage a good amount over the last few years and is still in great shape. I usually only carry-on though so it doesn't get the abuse that checked luggage does.

I am impressed and amazed. How do you get away without any checked luggage? Exactly how much carry-on can you carry-on?

Any one else manage to have no checked luggage? Does it help if its a short cruise?

I have bought a lot of different luggage pieces over the last 10 ten years at Dillards. I work there, so I get a 25% off discount. I wait until its 50-70% off and then an extra discount off that, (extra 20-30--50%) (we just had this about 3 weeks ago). I have expensive pieces and cheap pieces and they all have held up well. I have a Delsey set that I love because its bright neon green and I can spot it quickly. I love the spinner wheels..if you travel much, you know its hard when you try to move the suitcase and the wheels only go one direction! My advice is, dont wait until you actually need it, but buy it when it goes on sale and then buy the best you can. All of the pieces I have bought have held up, but a few that I use more than others has gotten dirty and I havent tried to clean. But luggage at the cruise terminals are packed in those crates like sardines, so they will come out beat up like from the airline. I bought my son some Kenneth Cole Reaction a couple of years ago for his flight, cruise honeymoon, and he loves it. Just watch your sizes if you fly much. I like the ones that have the extra zip out space, but you have to watch if you fly! As far as garment bag, my hubby has a garment bag/suitcase on rollers that he likes. I thought his suit might be all wrinkled, but it comes out looking good. Would have to look to see what the vendor is.

I dont know if you could, but I know Sam Moons had several wheelies that you place your luggage on that doesnt have wheels...maybe you could find something like that since you love your luggage except for no wheels...they had about 5-6 heavy duty ones to choose from. That would be ok for when you cruise, but not sure about flying.

Hi All,

I usually take a cruise vacation about once a year along with 3 or 4 land based vacations a year. I've been using a Samsonite garment bag for the better part of 10 years now as my main piece of luggage. Still looks almost like new! This thing is bulletproof it seems, but it is quite large and can be bulky when fully packed. It also does not have wheels.

The GF got a cheapie American Tourister rolling pullman(I think it's a 24" size, but it could be a 21"...not sure, but it's NOT huge or tiny...kind of inbetween.) It has the 360 degree spinner wheels and is VERY easy to travel with. However, I have noticed it's already got tears in the material from baggage handlers, etc. It's about 2 years old and she's used it maybe 7 times.

I'm interested in a getting a similar upright pullman for use as my main suitcase. I don't mind spending a little $, but don't want to spend over $200 either for a 24" pullman. Does anyone have any opinions on what is a good brand that will last a long time? I've looked in Wal-Mart, Target etc. and see a lot of American Tourister's, Swiss Army, Jeep brand, etc. Also checked places like J.C. Penney, and even T.J. Maxx who has ALL kinds of brands. I'm just soooo confused at all the different brands and price points out there.

I also heard that some brands that USED to be good, re: Samsonite, are not as well made anymore. Then there are the brands like Travel Pro, etc.

I use 4 wheelers exclusively now. Much easier to handle.

I look at luggage as a 'consumable' and no longer spend big bucks on them. Before retirement, when my work required me to fly over 100 times per year, I carried a thin nylon folding bag that was over $100.00, 30 plus years ago. 100 flights per year, always checked at the curb. and that no name but expensive bag lasted more than 20 years. Never could find another one like it. But now that I'm an old coot, I like the wheels.

I use a High Sierra duffel that I got from Macys about 3 years ago. I love that thing! I can fit so much stuff in there. And I got it while they were having a pretty decent sale with coupons. Also, check TJ Max and Marshalls if you have one in your area.. They always seem to have real good deals on luggage.

~Regina

We use the large American Tourister suitcase with wheels. Note: These are too big for airline carry on luggage. They work quite well and hold a lot. I think they are about 50 bucks at Wal Mart. We have used early walk off disembarkation with these suitcases.

Hi All,

I just had to go to garage to answer you...

I'm of the spend as little as you can for as sturdy as you can find...school. Also has to be 10 lbs max weight and middle size to take the 50 lb weight now...keep a spare something around home too for when you get home..have a trashed case and an emergency hits..was so glad I did this ..had 15 min to throw stuff in an old case and drive like a maniac to airport for a family loss..I got the call at 8:30 Am..and walked into sibs home by 5:30PM..a miracle flying from any where west coast to MT.

I would not go used..just too many previous possible issues......

I found one at Ross..name brand.."Olympia"..two wheeler..ugly black and red..and my old American Tourister large handbag type carreyon slips over the sturdy retracting handle. It's such an ugly red trim that I can find it..looks like tennis shoe detailing of the 80's. Bought it in late 2007 and so far so good to Hawaii, Tuscon, and Portland with multiple plane handling...and it made it on and off the Paradise and MT to Lax deal..you can really see a good wheel form a bad one.

Cost: $40.00.

Then just replace as you go...Ross, TJ Maxx or Marshalls all have a pretty good sized suitcase wall..and midrange brands.

If you ever went higher end..like Travelpro..they are pretty sturdy..sjn.

For carrey on roller on shorter trips I have had good luck with a JC Penney Jaguar brand bought 15 years ago..it has been checked as much as carried on.

Look for strudy wheels with some shock absorbtion factor and a handle that is sturdy and when it retracts stays up or down..only issue now with the old Jaques Penneh brand is handle no longer locks in the upright position..have fun..I kind of love looking at luggage..sjn.

I've been stalking some other luggage threads on here for a while...I'm looking to purchase a few pieces myself before our next cruise. From what I've gathered, Delsey is a popular brand because it's lightweight and heavy duty ballistic nylon. The word is that you need to have atleast 1800 denier polyster or the ballistic nylon for the piece to hold up.

Delsey is sold at Kohls and TJ Maxx and the like. Also some good online places (I highly recommend signing up for ebates.com before making any substantial online purchases, even some hotels and airlines...you get % of your purchase cash back quarterly AND some decent discount codes).

I bought my last set on sale at Sears. Don't remember the brand name; soft sided, zipper-type pieces. First time out, a strap broke. Returned it and got another set. First time out, a cut in the fabric. Returned it and got a different brand. Used it a few times; so far, so good. Point being that Sears has a great return policy, along with the manufacturer's warranty, which has allowed me to replace the set each time. And each time the price has increased, but I've never paid any more.

Bought 2 Jeep 21" with spinner wheels at WalMart, $49 each. That's all the luggage we ever take. That includes all the clothes, snacks, Pepsi bottles, etc....Never check it in so we never have to worry about porters/tips, or it dropping in the ocean or it getting put on the wrong ship. They are very light and we just roll them along, find a quiet corner to sit on deck waiting for the rooms to be ready and we are usually completely unpacked by 2 PM.

We did find some crazy colored bandanas that we tie on the handles just in case we get separated from our bags we can pick them out from all the other black bags on board.

Bought 2 Jeep 21" with spinner wheels at WalMart, $49 each. That's all the luggage we ever take. That includes all the clothes, snacks, Pepsi bottles, etc....Never check it in

Sorry -question from a newbie. 21" is not small. Is there no limit as to what Carnival accepts as a carry-on? In other words- can

you carry on whatever you can carry? Is embarcation then like self debarcation?

I got mine at ebags online. The more popular pieces have tons of reviews and some of them are really helpful. They have sales all the time. I'm pretty rough on my luggage, but I like the inline skate wheels on the bottom. Less chance of falling off and they don't bend or bow outwards from the weight of what I have in there...:p

Hi All,

We use the Roots duffle bags.. 1 each for us.. and I can go on vacation for 10 days and keep that bag under 40lbs... (we purchased them at costco) they are not expensive..under 100 bucks

142556182_1_271.jpg

First, realize that no luggage is baggage smasher proof. That being said, I look for well constructed, well recessed wheels as the wheels on the spinners and on cheap bags are too exposed and will not survive a determined effort by the baggage smashers. Second, I have gone hard-side for all our checked bags. The modern hard side bag is both lighter than a decent fabric bag and more durable. The 28 inch hard side we have weighs almost 2 pounds less than the comparable Delsey soft side, which is the lightest well constructed soft side I have found.

Of course, we saw an aluminum 26" Halliburton case that had been ripped in half come onto the carousel at the Rome airport. No, I do not mean the top was ripped off; it was torn in half! I can only speculate on how that happened.

Doc

I find that no matter what kind of luggage we buy baggage handlers will be rough on them and will ruin them quickly.

Therefore kind of figure they will not last long and we will find some inexpensive stuff at Sams.

I'm that way too..the best I can find for 40 to 50 or less...wherever..

I still use some of a Costco 5 pieces American Tourister bottom line set for back-up. $99 in the mid 80's.

I'm that way too..the best I can find for 40 to 50 or less...wherever..

I still use some of a Costco 5 pieces American Tourister bottom line set for back-up. $99 in the mid 80's.

The duffle I posted is under 100 at costco and very reliable.. and fits alot.. for those concerned with weight restrictions you can pack that bag;)

5 pieces for 1 person LOL :eek:

For my upcoming cruise, I just replaced the set of luggage I received as a HS graduation gift 10 years ago: Ricardo Beverly Hills.

I travel several times/year and always check my bag. After 10 years, it shows some wear, but not what you would expect. Ultimately, I had to replace it because the zipper started to tear away from the bag. I considered purchasing this brand again but couldn't find anything at a price I liked in a color I wanted (NO black or navy blue!)

Archived