Classica Far East Cancelled?

Ozza Alf

Had a phone call from TA today informing me that the cruise we were booked on (Costa Classica Far East out of Hong Kong on Jan 16 2012) has been cancelled due to "Deployment issues"!

Does anyone know anything about this???

Another CC member wrote a couple of days ago that her Classica Christamas 2010 had been canceled.

Costa will only have the Classica in the Far East after October 2010, as the Romantica is heading back to Europe after a winter season in the Indian Ocean. The Classica is shown cruises up to October 2011, but there are none from end of November 2010 to end of January 2011. Either it is totally booked out locally or someone has chartered her for this time frame.

Don't know what Costa is doing (bring all ships back to Europe?), they are pulling out of Canada / NE USA next year after only a very short time.

Ron

Costa have treated the Far East market to their older ships in Allegra initially, and more recently Classica & Romantica which offer a 3 1/2 star cruising experience at best , despite the best efforts of the on board staff.

One could get away with offering older vessels when Star had retreated to just gambling cruises, and effectively Costa were the only full time line in the Asian area.

However times have changed with Princess , Royal Carribean amongst others now offering a much stronger presence in Asia with a wide range of itineraries, departure ports, and in many cases much younger and more attractive ships for far East cruising.

So looks as if the heat in the kitchen has affected Costa to the extent that they either need to get a younger more attractive vessel into Asia or get out of that market until such time as they can front a younger vessel . Looks as if they opted for the easier option, and have withdrawn for the time being .

Both Classica and Romantica are really totally unsuited to Asia with so few balcony cabins, and no promenade deck, one feels like you are captive within a Westfield Shopping Mall .

Hi,

I have read both of the linked threads and would like to add my comments.

We booked Costa Classica Far East for 3rd Nov 2011. We also pre-booked excursions.

Approx. 4 weeks ago we had a mail from Costa saying ALL excursions had been cancelled. We tried to access our cruise details on the Costa site and access was denied. This set alarm bells ringing, as you would expect. We spoke to our travel agent you knew nothing!! They rang Costa who told them it was a glitch with their IT system and to give a week and retry, which we did to no avail. Again rang the TA, who again rang Costa, this time we were told that some of the ports of call had changed docking procedure/process/policy and the cruise was cancelled whilst they sorted it out. Yesterday I again rang the TA, who still had no information from Costa and rang them to find an update, we are still waiting.

I looked on here to see if anyone else had more information and I can see by the threads that we are not alone. It is a little concerning that some people have been offered alternatives when Costa have not even officially notified us of an issue and our TA is as much in the dark as we are.

I do not know who runs Costa's PR department, but they should be fired. What has happened to Customer Service. The information is obviously out there, Costa should have kept all customers fully informed. Surely an old established cruise line does not overnight decide to cancel itineraries without thinking through all of the options.

Any more info would be appreciated,

Bye, sad & ignored.

First welcome to CC, it is shame that your first post has to be on such a negative point.

Sadly to say you are not the first and most probably not the last passenger to hear such news. If only Costa would come straight out and tell the reason, most people would at least try to understand, what I find most frustrating in such cases it not knowing.

Hope you get some satisfaction.

Ron

Hi All

I'm feelong a bit nervous as we are due to sail on Oct 23!

It looks as if ours will possibly be the last sailing.....that does not feel very comfortable! I have spoken to Costa who say all next years Far East on Classica have been withdrawn,the staff possess not to know why. My t/a this moring said: don't worry yours is still going ahead,and again say they don't know why. If for some reason the cruise does go ahed and some ports have been cancelled I will have to think about cancelling my cruise and rebooking else where! I think I should have cause for a complete refund if there is a substancial change. What does every one else think and have they ever been in this position?:(

regards

Josie

I am not sure what "cause" for a refund (if there is a substantial change in the itinerary) means. You certainly do not have the right to a refund. Heck, they can change all the ports, even change the ocean, and you do not have the right to a refund. Cruise lines have done that incidentally. There have been times when a Caribbean cruise was changed to a cruise of New England/Canada, at the last minute, due to the weather.

On the other hand, if you think Costa ought to give you the option of a refund if there is a substantial change, I agree that would be a wise gesture.

Bill

Hi All

It looks as if ours will possibly be the last sailing.....that does not feel very comfortable! I have spoken to Costa who say all next years Far East on Classica have been withdrawn,the staff possess not to know why. My t/a this moring said: don't worry yours is still going ahead,and again say they don't know why. If for some reason the cruise does go ahed and some ports have been cancelled I will have to think about cancelling my cruise and rebooking else where! I think I should have cause for a complete refund if there is a substancial change. What does every one else think and have they ever been in this position?:(

regards

Josie

We are booked on Classica departing Jan 9 2011 from Singapore. I just paid the balance last week! Perhaps I better contact my t/a and check it is still going ahead:confused:

Hi All

regards

Josie[

I have just phoned Costa and 23 October 2010 cruise to Far East is still going ahead. HURRAH. Apparently there is an itinery change on next years Far East cruises.

Costa website shows Classica currently furthest out listing departing Shanghai Oct 2, 2011 for Singapore, then nothing after that in Asia.

By comparison Costa show European departures up to November, 2011.

Costa are dragging the chain generally in getting out their programs across the World compared to Princess who have had their European, Asian, Exotics and Australian programs for 2011-12 out for months .

Well after Costa pulled my Xmas 2011 cruise aboard Classica, I opted for the Mediterranea in November 2011.

However....since discovering that the 2011 replacement cruise that was offered has now finally been placed on the website, I did the math and came up with a decent figure, so rang my agent, who in turn rang Costa.

Long & short of it is that I am now on Classica's Shanghai to Singapore cruise on October 24 2011. They have honoured the original discount (20%) as a result of the cancellation and added a nice extra percentage off too since they mistakenly offered this cruise without it being costed up.

So I am now back on Classica for her repositioning, flying out on October 23, boarding on the 24th, 2011.

Costa also swapped the deposit from Mediterranea without penalty too and accepted they made the error when offering the replacement 2011 cruise and have been more than reasonable in their discounting. And they have upgraded me to an I3 grade cabin too FOC. The Classica cruise has worked out £50 less than the Mediterranea cruise, despite the distances, cabin grade etc...so great value as far as I am concerned.

:)

• 4 weeks later...

Costa have finally declared their hand as to what is going on in the Far East .

Romantica returning to Europe pretty soon, leaving Classica till later in 2011 which will also then return to Europe.

When Classica returns to Europe it will be replaced in Asia by a single larger vessel , as yet un-specified.

One would hope that the projected larger vessel is not only much younger than Romantica & Classica, but also more suited to Asian cruising with far more Balcony cabins and a promenade deck .

Costa have finally declared their hand as to what is going on in the Far East .

Romantica returning to Europe pretty soon, leaving Classica till later in 2011 which will also then return to Europe.

When Classica returns to Europe it will be replaced in Asia by a single larger vessel , as yet un-specified.

One would hope that the projected larger vessel is not only much younger than Romantica & Classica, but also more suited to Asian cruising with far more Balcony cabins and a promenade deck .

This is really what I have been waiting to hear. Glad now that we didn't take up the offer of the replacement Romantica cruise which did not have the itinerary that we wanted. Just have to wait and see I guess.

One point though, all the Romantica & Classica cruises were all but sold out from Oct 2011 to Jan 2012, so why the need to replace them with one new vessel?

Thanks for all your replies.

Costa withdrawing from Far East, Caribbean and New England???

What is going on?

I personally think that Costa was getting to adventurous and spreading its wings to far for the parent company Carneval, and been told to concentrate on its core cruising area of Europe.

What do others think?

Ron

Costa withdrawing from Far East, Caribbean and New England???

What is going on?

I personally think that Costa was getting to adventurous and spreading its wings to far for the parent company Carneval, and been told to concentrate on its core cruising area of Europe.

What do others think?

Ron

Hi Ron,

I think it will be a big mistake for Costa to pull out of the Far East, my wife and I are going on our second cruise to the Far East early next year, and we are going again 1 year later, if not with Costa then it will be with another company.

As far as I know Costa are the only cruise line who have ships in the Far East all year round, if I'm wrong can someone please tell me of any other companies that do.

Thanks in advance,

David

Hi David,

Costa recently issued a press release saying that the Classica will be repositioned back to Europe in November 2011 and only stating that a larger ship will replace her - why not announce it at the same time.

DW and I want to do a far eat cruise - but not on the Classica, we are hoping that the Mediterranea will be there as it is our favourite boat.

There is another company cruising year round in the far east (and only in far east):

http://www.starcruises.com

Ron

Costa have recently cancelled my Far East cruise on Romantica next April, missed it this year because of the volcano. They offered me similar dates in April on Classica, no good for me because I like a balcony and all suites booked out. I enjoy Costa cruises , they have fantastic destinations, but I think a little honesty on their part would go a long long way. Are you bumping me or is the whole cruise cancelled?.

I have booked a part of the P+O Arcadia world cruise instead of Romantica. Hong Kong to Mumbai. Probably not as lively as Costa, but looking forward to it.

Just come home from a cruise on Mediterrania (beautiful ship, must be one of my favorites, and a fantastic itinerary), we were told that Costa were starting Round the World Cruises from next year.

Blu*Donau I think that Costa will still do the more unusual ports of call, like they always have done, well lets hope so, and Costa have 2 more larger ships in the pipeline, hopefully with exciting destinations.

C

Just come home from a cruise on Mediterrania (beautiful ship, must be one of my favorites, and a fantastic itinerary), we were told that Costa were starting Round the World Cruises from next year.

Ahhhhhh the Mediterranea, bring back many happy memories.

Costa has already published details about World Cruise starting in December 2011 on the Deliziosa

http://www.costacruises.co.uk/B2C/GB/ShoppingV2/CruiseDetail.htm?&Period=201112&ShipCode=DE&VIti=DE_*_SVN_S_F0B0H0_SVN_MRS_BCN_FNC_SLU_GND_CUR_AUA_CTG_SJO_ACA_MZT_CSC_LAX_HNL_PPG_SUV_AKL_WLG_SYD_ME&Cru=DEA0111228

I certanly hope that Costa keep finding new and exotic ports, I do not like cruises that are line bus routes "there will be another in a few minutes.

Ron

• 3 weeks later...

Hello BenMurphy and fellow cruisers,

This is my first post on Cruise Critic. I'm sorry & wish I had better news. I have to let those of you who are reserved on the Classica's October 23, 2010 sailing (just as I am) know that there have been changes and a lot of negative press in Asia. Changes affecting the number of days of this cruise, the starting date, also two ports have been eliminated as of yesterday, but you won't find this info on the Costa website.

Just go to google and write in "Costa Classica Jeju" (this will explain what happened last Sunday when the ship, travelling from Shanghai, China to Jeju, South Korea, had 44 Chinese passengers who "jumped ship" in order to stay/work illegally in South Korea. They left their passports onboard, but took their luggage with them.

Next, google "Costa Classica Collision October 2010" and read the Daily Mail article about how, after visiting Jeju on Sunday, the ship was returning to Shanghai when it collided at 4AM this Monday with a Belgian cargo ship, opening a 20 meter gash on the starboard side of the Classica, affecting perhaps 15 staterooms, everyone had to rush to their muster stations. You can see the photos in the article.

Finally, google "Typhoon Megi Hong Kong" and read that the largest typhoon of 2010 is even as we speak bearing down on Hong Kong and Guandong, China this weekend. When British passengers on the Oct 23 sailing read the Daily Mail article, they grew alarmed and contacted Costa (I called my excellent travel agent Mark at OVC, and he called Costa and then forwarded their reply, see Costa letter at the end of my post.

My husband and I are cancelling the cruise (luckily we bought insurance), as well as our separate round trip air from Newark to Hong Kong, and the hotel room, because of A) the foolhardiness of flying into a typhoon B) Costa's assurance that the cruise will begin but on Monday the 25th, when anyone who examines the photos of the damage knows that those cabins on deck 5 will not be ready by then. C) Hong Kong has one of the best typhoon warning systems in Asia, and they'll probably close the port and no ships will be able to sail until they lift the restriction. If the airport closes, who wants to be deviated to Singapore or Korea? D) It's not that I'm superstitious, but that's two unfortunate events have happened to the Classica this week, and I no longer feel comfortable about this cruise, where so many of the ports (like Vietnam) have excursions to beautiful sites you have to drive to, if the roads are rendered impassable due to the torrential rains, those excursions will be cancelled. I also confess my doubts about whether Costa will do its best for the passengers. They've never alerted or let on about any of these situations, and there will be unsuspecting passengers who won't even know a typhoon is on route. Be safe, cruisers! Here's Costa's letter of yesterday:

Dear Guest,

On October 18th 2010, while approaching the port of Shanghai, the Costa Classica collided with a cargo vessel. As reported in the media, at no time were the passengers or crew in any danger and the cruise ship reached the port of Shanghai under her own steam.

The subsequent inspection revealed that, on Deck 5, the external superstructure of the cruise ship sustained damages that can be repaired in few days under the supervision of the competent Authorities.

The repair work is currently underway at a shipyard in Shanghai and will be certified by RINA, the Italian Shipping Register, which is an internationally recognized classification and certification body, by the Italian Authority and by the Shanghai Port Authority.

In order to allow the repairs completion, the Costa Classica will now be arriving in Hong Kong on October 25th 2010 instead of October 23rd 2010 as originally scheduled.

In order to ensure the full experience of the purchased vacation, the Guests booked to board the Costa Classica will be provided with two days’ accommodation and full board on October 23rd and 24th in Hong Kong.

In addition, on October 24, Costa Cruises will be offering Guests a complimentary excursion program in Hong Kong with lunch included.

The scheduled cruise is then confirmed with calls at Malaysia, Brunei, Singapore, Vietnam and Hong Kong, with the only cancellation of Manila and Sanya, according to the following program:

Mon 25 Oct., 2010 HONG KONG TBD 18,00 Guests embarkation

Tue 26 Oct. At sea

Wed 27 Oct. At sea

Thu 28 Oct. KOTA KINABALU-BORNEO 08,00 18,00

Fri 29 Oct. BANDAR SERI BEGAWAN 08,00 14,00

Sat 30 Oct. At sea

Sun 31 Oct. SINGAPORE 08,00 19,00

Mon 1 Nov. At sea

Tue 2 Nov. HO CHI MINH CITY 08,00 16,30

Wed 3 Nov. At sea

Thu 4 Nov. DA-NANG 08,00 19,00

Fri 5 Nov. At sea

Sat 6 Nov. HONG KONG 05,00 21.30

Upon your arrival to Hong Kong you may proceed to the Hong Kong Cruise Terminal where you will be met by Costa Cruises shore-side staff and Costa Classica ship staff to assist you and provide you with all the information you need for your stay at the Hotel. In addition, a permanent information desk will be present at your Hotel for all the assistance.

We do recommend you review your rights under Costa’s Terms & Conditions relating to the change or cancellation of all or any part of the cruise. You may review Costa’s Terms and Conditions by logging on to costacruises.com, under “Cruise Ticket Contract”.

We wish you a pleasant holiday.

Kindest Regards

Archived