Venice in a wheelchair

sarar

Has anyone done Venice in a wheelchair? I am a part-time wheelchair user, and only use it for long distances. I can walk up steps and am quite mobile since having my knees replaced.

Thanks

Sara

Yes....you can do Venice while in a wheelchair.....2 years ago, our daughter had to use a wheelchair due to a broken ankle & surgery 6 weeks prior to the cruise...we pushed her everywhere around Venice for 2 days with no problems. When we came to a bridge, she would have to use crutches to cross over the canal - slow, but manageable while hobbling about on 1 foot.

as long as you have someone to assist you, when needed, there should not be any major obstacles that you can not overcome....my daughter had to utilize crutches when ascending & descending stairs/steps....otherwise, the streets are flat for the most part and most locations have plenty of room to maneuver in a wheelchair.

from your description, your mobility issues are far lesser than my daughter experienced...just make sure you use a good quality wheelchair that won't easily break down.

Thanks for that Rebel9040, I have a manual wheelchair so no fear of it breaking down, it will just be the person pushing me that might break down, my dad!! You are right, I can jump in and out of my chair to walk over bridges and do steps, and my dad carries my chair which is small.

Regards

Sara

she uses wheelchair,,,but can walk up streps with help...like you,,,even took vaporetto and gondola ride,,but hubby picked her up for that,,then put wc in back...she used a small,light chair,,not her regular one for tours,etc....just dont go fast and fall in canal,,,just kidding...have a great time...the pigeons will love you and chair in St. Marks Square,,be prepared...my friend sort of freaked out when they landed on it ,,and her...just wanted food.,,,and a place to sit,,,i guess....:eek:

Archived