Walking the wall in Dubrovnik with a walking boot

We'll be in Dubrovnik on a cruise in about a month and my husband just tore his achilles tendon and had surgery on it today. He'll get the cast off in 2 weeks and will be in a walking boot for about 4 weeks after that. It's gonna make the whole trip a bit more challenging, but my biggest concern is the wall. Has anyone climbed the steps and walked the wall with a boot? How physically challenging is it? He's in good shape otherwise.

We'll be in Dubrovnik on a cruise in about a month and my husband just tore his achilles tendon and had surgery on it today. He'll get the cast off in 2 weeks and will be in a walking boot for about 4 weeks after that. It's gonna make the whole trip a bit more challenging, but my biggest concern is the wall. Has anyone climbed the steps and walked the wall with a boot? How physically challenging is it? He's in good shape otherwise.

The seaside portion of the wall isn't too bad. Yes, there are stairs but not as many. The other half is another story. A lot more stairs (there are 650 total.) Part of the stair challenge is the riser height is not always the same, nor is the tread width. On top of that, you have periods where there are no stairs bur fairly steep inclines.

Hubby can probably manage the first half; but I'd skip the second half. From the Pile gate (wall entrance) the traffic moves counter-clockwise (yes, it's enforced) along the seaside first.

From my own personal experiences I will tell you NO! The most difficult part is the very beginning with more than 65 very tiny steps to reach the top. Once he makes up to the top, there is only one way to travel - the sea side. That side, yes is easier, but not by much. Once on top, he will not be able to go down until he reaches the next point, which is half way.

I have been walking the walls for the past 3 years, I know it very well and I would not want to see your husband trying to walk in an area which is far too difficult for someone with an injury. The slightest slip, a fall on those rocks and the balance of your cruise is a mess.

You can see some of the same views from the Rupe Museum, try going there. Also there is the Cabrio bus, a 2 hour bus tour which is lovely. And finally there is the cable car, that view is well....you decide.

First,,,hubby is a Podiatric surgeon,,,and would never allow his patient to do this so soon after surgery,,,one slip,,,and more injury and more surgery,,plus, wrecked trip....

I m in good shape and found the stairs,crowds,heat,etc...just not worth it,,,and only did half....views can be found by taking walks up hill ,bus,etc...

Remember, you may have 4.000 people all wanting to do the wall,,,at SAME time,,,unless VERY early....

Much to enjoy,,,without risk...;)

I'm so sorry for your husband (and you), that's rotten luck. As he won't be doing the walls, in case it's any interest I made this from my day there

I hope your injury heals up quickly, and in the short term that it doesn't impinge on your fun for the rest of the cruise.

All the best

Thanks for the well wishes. I really enjoyed the video. You're right, my husband's injury came at a very inconvenient time since this Mediterranean cruise has been a dream vacation of ours for years. It could be worse though so I guess we'll make the most of it. His doctor said he can't reinjure it walking as long as he keeps the boot on. We'll just move a lot slower than normal! It's still a month away so hopefully he'll have gotten used to walking in the boot and won't have too much discomfort. Thanks again everyone for your thoughts and advice!

Thanks for the well wishes. I really enjoyed the video. You're right, my husband's injury came at a very inconvenient time since this Mediterranean cruise has been a dream vacation of ours for years. It could be worse though so I guess we'll make the most of it. His doctor said he can't reinjure it walking as long as he keeps the boot on. We'll just move a lot slower than normal! It's still a month away so hopefully he'll have gotten used to walking in the boot and won't have too much discomfort. Thanks again everyone for your thoughts and advice!

My other stops were Corfu, Olympia, Athens, Santorini, Ephesus & Messina and if you're going to any of these similar-style videos are here http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1191713

All the best to you both, it doesn't sound like the boot will get in the way of you having a fantastic experience.

Agree with your call. Remember, you can still visit the city including the Plaka which is some ground level walking. You can also take a cab (too short for a normal cab ride but you may need it) to get to the tram car to go up on the mountain for a fabulous view over the city below. It only opened a few weeks ago after having been bombed out in the war, so it is not in many guide books. Just ask for directions to it in town, or once in town look up the hill to where the cables and pillars are. The cable car starts where the cables disappear into a building. They only take kuna or a credit card, no dollars or euros.

I recently read about a Pirates boat excursion where you sail around Old Town and see the city from the sea. Sounded very relaxing and something you might consider.

My other stops were Corfu, Olympia, Athens, Santorini, Ephesus & Messina and if you're going to any of these similar-style videos are here http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1191713

All the best to you both, it doesn't sound like the boot will get in the way of you having a fantastic experience.

Cornishpastyman1 - I thoroughly enjoyed your videos and your cute family. I also have videos of my trip, but i think they may be too long. Do you know the time limit on YouTube?

Archived