Booking train tickets in advance?

caribbeansun

We have decided to travel from Venice to Zermatt (via Milan and including the Bernina Express and Glacier Express).

For any of you that have traveled from Italy to Switzerland do you usually book and pay for your train tickets in advance or do you wait and book upon arrival?

Given the routes we are traveling I'm inclined to book ahead of time but then the question becomes using what service and how do you reserve seats when connecting through two rail systems?

I have found the RailEurope site and the individual sites for Switzerland being SBB and Italy being Trenitalia.

Sorry for what must seem like novice questions - neither of us have ever done this before so would greatly appreciate any insight from those that have done something similar to this.

Thank you in advance.

The Italian web site does not like U.S. credit cards (I have no idea where you live, of course). I have heard rumors that some people have had success with U.S. debit cards, but that might be an urban rumor. I've never tried to use the Swiss rail site, so I can't comment on it, sorry.

RailEurope imposes massive mark-ups, so I avoid them on principle.

I almsot always buy my rail tickets once in Europe. I usually use a local travel agent -- in Italy, at least, this costs no more than waiting in the often long lines at the international window at train station.

Lately Trenitalia makes it difficult to buy online for foreigners. Several years I was able to buy with a department store issued MC but major bank issued CC (both Visa and MC) failed. You can certainly try; nothing is to lose. If you manage to buy then there are discounts for advance purchase.

I can also suggest buying separate ticket for Italian and Swiss portions of your trip. Swiss rail SBB (http://www.sbb.ch/en/) has lots of promotions (1 day pass, saver pass, etc) that wouldn't apply to international travel.

We agree with the other posters. Normally we just wait until we arrive in Europe and purchase our tickets (if on a cruise we do this at the first port of call). There is a slight risk tbat you may not get the exact train you want, but is usually not a problem as long as you buy at least a day in advance. Otherwise you almost are forced to use RailEurope's web site and pay the higher costs.

Hank

Don't know when you are going to take the Trenitalia train, be sure to check their strike date, they usually post ahead of time.

We bought our tickets via Trenitalia website and tried to take the advance of 30% discount (15 days before departure), first, I tried several times by using my MC, didn't work and kept saying decline, I almost gave up but one day, I tried again and it works!

Good luck.

Thanks for the input - I was worried about reserving a spot on the Italy portions as there is only one Bernina train on the day we are traveling - may have to settle for a regular train if we miss the connection.

And now things either got easier or more complex as it turns out the Glacier Express that we had planned on taking from Pontressina to Zermatt isn't going to run after Oct 31st this year so that's not going to happen - oh well.

Back to the drawing board...

We have decided to travel from Venice to Zermatt (via Milan and including the Bernina Express and Glacier Express).

For any of you that have traveled from Italy to Switzerland do you usually book and pay for your train tickets in advance or do you wait and book upon arrival?

Given the routes we are traveling I'm inclined to book ahead of time but then the question becomes using what service and how do you reserve seats when connecting through two rail systems?

I have found the RailEurope site and the individual sites for Switzerland being SBB and Italy being Trenitalia.

Sorry for what must seem like novice questions - neither of us have ever done this before so would greatly appreciate any insight from those that have done something similar to this.

Thank you in advance.

Trenitalia only works if you are registered with MasterCard Secure or Verified by Visa.

My credit card was rejected. But my friends credit card was already registered for MasterCard Secure.

It worked properly when we used his credit card.

You get local highly discounted tickets when you book via local websites instead of Rail Europe.

Esspecially remember to book Glacier-Express reservations if you want to use this train for Zermatt.

A good way is to get to Tirano - using Bernina Express to St. Moritz - and from here Glacier Express to Zermatt.

Best way to see the Alps.

But check on Swiss Railways Website for the passes. We bought passes for Switzerland and it was cheaper than using individual tickets.

Have a great time on Glacier-Express. We had.

Regards

HeinBloed

Archived