St thomas

Princess Cay

or

Crown:

Cozumel

Belize

Grand Caymen

Roaton

My question is between the two itinerarys is there better weather in one or the other? I keep hearing about missed ports on the Crown itinerary. Any one have a preferance over itinerary any why?

Thanks.

I am taking my adult kids on their first cruise and want it to be the best choice for weather and itinerary. I know, I know, Mother nature always has the final word lol.:D

Kris

We've been on both itineraries and think that for a first timer (the kids) the Ruby is more of a traditional carribean route. We really enjoyed Turks, the ship pulls right up on the beach (almost). Great shopping in St. Maartin and the private island is a fantastic beach day. I would go with the Ruby.

We got married in St.Thomas in January and the weather was beautiful! We took two cruises, one for the wedding and one for the honeymoon and I don't remember having a bad day in the two weeks we were gone. I'm sure you'll have a great time no matter what!

Having cruised both many times, there are negatives on each. For the Crown (we have cruised on the Crown four times and love the ship) there is not much to do in Grand Cayman except water sports, shopping, or the tour to Hell. In Roaton there is the beach, but to see anything else you will need to either rent a car or schedule an excursion. Cozumel is good, depending on where the ship docks. If you like Mayan Ruins, an excursion to Tulum is a must.

The Ruby is a beautiful ship. Cruised on her twice. Princess Cay is a lovely spot. Food is good and beach is beautiful. St. Thomas has lots of history, as well as water sports and shopping. St. Marteen is unique. You will need to take a cab or book an excursion to experience both sides, French and Dutch. Turks are wonderful.

Weather is January is much better than Oregon! If time allows, plan to spend a few days in Florida before or after the cruise.

Shirley

For a first cruise I would really recommend the Ruby's itinerary. Plus it's a newer and beautiful ship. The itinerary is better for first time cruisers because it has more "Americanized" ports. There is more to do, and less chance you will miss a port. There is a 50/50 chance you will miss Grand Cayman because of the tendering and weather on the Crown's itinerary. It is also nice to just hang out at Princess Cay and enjoy a beach day, makes you realize that all your hard work to take a vacation is worth it, just to look out at the ocean and beach and spend some good quality time with your family relaxing. My personal only concern would be what day you would be in St. Thomas. If it's a Tuesday, it may be super crowded. That's the day the Oasis has been docking there and usually there are a bunch of ships plus the Oasis, then it is super crowded there, especially if you want to do any shopping, quite the nightmare. When we were there this past January, we had a first there, we were the ONLY ship in St. Thomas. It was just weird and kind of wonderful.

I would not worry about the weather for either itinerary. You are in the same general area for both, and we cruise every January and it is just a gorgeous time of year in the Caribbean. It is not the rainy season, so you may have some sprinkles, but usually they do not last long, just you, your wonderful family and the sun! Have a great time.

That was just my two cents worth. :rolleyes:

Generally, I find the water chilly in Jan/Feb/Mar. This past winter was brutal, even down south and the Caribbean. Last February, it was 56 degrees in Roatan! Did the western carib and didn't swim once. Anyway, to answer your question, I prefer the Ruby. As for itinerary, I like both.

Hi There,

If first time then the Ruby, if you have been before then the Crown.

Hi colo

Roatan is a great stop, we docked at the old port and went on a tour,

monkey farm was interesting, there is a good museum as well as a wild dolphine tour.

yours Shogun

Generally, I find the water chilly in Jan/Feb/Mar. This past winter was brutal, even down south and the Caribbean. Last February, it was 56 degrees in Roatan! Did the western carib and didn't swim once. Anyway, to answer your question, I prefer the Ruby. As for itinerary, I like both.

We find the Caribbean in the winter about the same. The only time we have found the waters warm is if we go way down to the Southern most part of the Caribean islands.

I agree, I would go with a Southern route. But in looking at your choices, I would go with the Western route (Crown). I've done 2 Christmas cruises. One from San Juan, the other from Ft. Lauderdale. The weather was warm on both. On the more Eastern route, the water was a little cooler on Princess Cays. I didn't go in for long. The beach was still great, but I like my swimming water a little warmer. I have not been to Turks and Caicos, but my guess is that it would be the same.

We did the Crown Eastern Caribbean in Feb 2009. Princess Cays was cold,it was cold in January, I talked to the life guards who said the last two weeks in January were very cold,they couldn't believe people were even swimming. The guards were hoping no one needed assistance in the water as they didn't want to go in the water to get them it was so cold.

January in the Bahamas can be a crap shoot.

Thank you all for the speedy and comprehensive answers. We were on the Island in Feb. and though we didn't miss Grand Caymen it was really cold.

I have not cruised out of Puerto Rico [i think air fare is more from Oregon, not sure ] but I love the itinerarys from there.

Thanks again, your answers have helped alot.

I'm not sure about how feel about Princess (even though we will fly to London tomorrow to begin a 12-day cruise of the British Isles on the Crown).

We have done both routes several times. I urge you to take the Southern Caribbean. The ports are far nicer. My own all-time fave is St. Martin (even though we nearly missed it at Christmas on Celebrity Mercury due to high swells).

We love the Caribbean. But, then, we have now become such seasoned cruisers that we no longer much care where the ship is going as long as it's sunny and warm in the middle of the winter. I think that overall the water temperature is fine in shallow beach areas. The coldest spots may be the cruise lines' private islands because they are deep into the Atlantic near the Bahamas. But once you dip in, it's fine.

Many Princess cruises, daughter married on St. Thomas (while on the Caribbean Princess).

St. Thomas is a beautiful US island. Look up Sonny Liston for a tour of the island. It was very fun and excellent. St. Martin is very nice also. Anyone who has never cruised, these two islands are probably two you should see. Weather in the Caribbean is usually within 5 degrees of high or low (average).

So many cruises, so little $$$$. We were in Aruba when we did the panama Canal and it was the warmest port, not counting Columbia.

I like the thought of some of the ports where we can see some ruins and the cave tubing sounds cool. Decisions, decisions. But, if we are building an itinerarty around Cozumel and then don't make it there it will be dissapointing, no I guess not really because I actually love the sea days and I will be there with family so it is all good. I guesss I will put it to a vote or toss a coin.

Thanks so much to all of for such great and helpful advice. This is what this site is all about.

We are doing the western and southern on the Crown in Jan 2012. All the ports we have been at in Jan have been great water temp. except for Princess Cays has always been cold in Jan but we still went in, always better them Wisconsin in Jan. We have done 5 cruises in Jan to western, eastern, and southern and have had no problem with cold water.

Archived