Setting up cash account before cruise

Rhitson88

For people (like myself) who would rather set up the cash account rather than a debit card on file, is it possible to set it up after you get onboard at the pursers desk or do you need to set it up when getting your key cards and all other documentation before boarding?? Just wondering, thanks. I understand if its not set up then you will not be able to buy anything and thats fine. We just wanna take care of some other stuff and would rather set it up after the chaos.

Does the purser's desk accept Travelers checks as payment on the shipboard account. We use our credit card but are traveling in October with daughter and boyfriend. They want to pay with Travelers checks. I told them that this could not be done but after reading your post, I am wondering if it can?

We always pay by cash or TC's and simply go to the pursers desk sometime during the afternoon/evening to put some credit on our accounts. Just tell them when you check in that you are paying cash. We have never had a problem over it.

Ok, so I just let them know I want to use cash but want to check in first, correct? Just want to make sure. Don't wanna get there and there be problems.

I booked all of our excursions, figured out what the tips would be, added about $20 each for alcohol or other things. Added it all up, and funded the ship board account before we went on the cruise. I will give them a credit card in case we go slightly over, but we are usually pretty close.

I just called Princess and asked if I could by ship board credit and they said sure.:D

Does the purser's desk accept Travelers checks as payment on the shipboard account. We use our credit card but are traveling in October with daughter and boyfriend. They want to pay with Travelers checks. I told them that this could not be done but after reading your post, I am wondering if it can?

Yes, they absolutely accept Traveler's Checks for payment. I believe they have to setup an account with a debit/credit card, but can pay their bill at the Purser's desk with TC's...

Yes, they absolutely accept Traveler's Checks for payment. I believe they have to setup an account with a debit/credit card, but can pay their bill at the Purser's desk with TC's...

Are you sure? I think that as long as you say you want to have a cash account you do not need to give them any card. This is how it was on Carnival at least and I would doubt it would be any different. I would assume they would put as much credit on the room as the TC would be for without needing a card. I could be wrong but like I said, this is how it was on Carnival.

Are you sure? I think that as long as you say you want to have a cash account you do not need to give them any card. This is how it was on Carnival at least and I would doubt it would be any different. I would assume they would put as much credit on the room as the TC would be for without needing a card. I could be wrong but like I said, this is how it was on Carnival.

Well, I may be absolutely wrong, but I believe the Cruise Personalizer requires a credit/debit card number. When I've needed to setup a cash account, I've entered my debit card number in the Personalizer, but once onboard, a quick trip to the Purser to give them some cash (I think they required $250 to start) was all it took. From there, I just monitored my shipboard account and added cash when needed.

Well, I may be absolutely wrong, but I believe the Cruise Personalizer requires a credit/debit card number. When I've needed to setup a cash account, I've entered my debit card number in the Personalizer, but once onboard, a quick trip to the Purser to give them some cash (I think they required $250 to start) was all it took. From there, I just monitored my shipboard account and added cash when needed.

Oh ok. Then yeah that does sound about right. I had to also put my debit card through the personalizer, but what about for people who do not have a debit or credit card? Or do not want to put their debit card on file? Because you know those people are out there lol. They have to be able to let them just set it up after they board right? Its not like they will deny them access. Just won't be able to use there key card for any charges I guess.

Oh ok. Then yeah that does sound about right. I had to also put my debit card through the personalizer, but what about for people who do not have a debit or credit card? Or do not want to put their debit card on file? Because you know those people are out there lol. They have to be able to let them just set it up after they board right? Its not like they will deny them access. Just won't be able to use there key card for any charges I guess.

I'm not sure. I've always provided my credit card #, charged against the account, and then paid it off in cash by visiting the pursers desk on the last day of the cruise.

To print out Boarding passes you have to use a debit or credit card. If you absolutely do not want to use that card onboard, simply remove it from your profile after printing out the boarding passes

When checking in, you can tell the person you want to use a cash account. You can do this whether or not you removed your card from your profile.

When boarding, go to the Purser's office and plunk down the money; cash, traveller checks or use your debit card as if you were at an ATM for a set amount of money. On Princess, they require $300 per person to start. Then add more money if and when needed.

IMO, it is better to use a debit card for specific amounts of cash transfers than to keep it on file; the hold process can sometimes wreak havoc with debit cards.

A good question... I was just talking to a friend and he didn't put in a credit card number into the Personalizer for our recent cruise and the Personalizer said it was complete. At the pier, he gave them the credit card that he wanted to use, so it does appear that if you don't put in a card, you can complete the Personalizer process. At the pier, I'm sure they'll ask for a credit card, but I guess you can tell them you want a cash account and once onboard, you'll have to plunk down some cash at the Purser's desk before you can actually buy anything onboard.

I always pay cash and indicate this when I go online to do the pre cruise info. Until yesterday and there was no where to tick a cash box and you have to add a credit card. Which I had to do and will pay cash when I get there.

I always pay cash and indicate this when I go online to do the pre cruise info. Until yesterday and there was no where to tick a cash box and you have to add a credit card. Which I had to do and will pay cash when I get there.

We used to give a credit card number, but several years ago Princess messed up and left us out of pocket. We never give a CC number now and always pay by cash and travellers cheques. We leave the space on cruise personaliser for the credit card empty and have never had a problem printing our boarding passes. We do always have OBC due to Future cruise sales so maybe that makes a difference.

To print out Boarding passes you have to use a debit or credit card. If you absolutely do not want to use that card onboard, simply remove it from your profile after printing out the boarding passes

When checking in, you can tell the person you want to use a cash account. You can do this whether or not you removed your card from your profile.

When boarding, go to the Purser's office and plunk down the money; cash, traveller checks or use your debit card as if you were at an ATM for a set amount of money. On Princess, they require $300 per person to start. Then add more money if and when needed.

IMO, it is better to use a debit card for specific amounts of cash transfers than to keep it on file; the hold process can sometimes wreak havoc with debit cards.

Wow, 300 is pretty hefty. What if you don't want to put $300 down is really another question I have now. Because I honestly do not think I will come close to using $100 of it so will they just not let you put anything down and then they run the risk of you not spending any money at all on the ship? Now I really wanna know especially if its pp, no way I am dumping $600 for me and my fiance if honestly we will only use $100 IF THAT. Maybe I should call Princess or has no one ever tryed putting less than $300 to start the account? Thanks.

Wow, 300 is pretty hefty. What if you don't want to put $300 down is really another question I have now. Because I honestly do not think I will come close to using $100 of it.

Assuming you do not remove the daily hotel charge ("auto-tip" of $10.50/day/person ($11.00 for suites and mini-suites)) you will stay within your expectations as long as you do not purchase sodas, alcoholic beverages, Princess shore excursions, photos by ship's photographers, etc.

The last evening, you can get back all of your deposit that has not been spent. So basically, you are just loaning that cash to Princess for slighly less than the length of the cruise.

Wow, 300 is pretty hefty. What if you don't want to put $300 down is really another question I have now. Because I honestly do not think I will come close to using $100 of it so will they just not let you put anything down and then they run the risk of you not spending any money at all on the ship? Now I really wanna know especially if its pp, no way I am dumping $600 for me and my fiance if honestly we will only use $100 IF THAT. Maybe I should call Princess or has no one ever tryed putting less than $300 to start the account? Thanks.

Yes, from what I understand, it'll be $300 per person to establish a cash account. And honestly, you'll probably use it too...

Are you taking the 7 day or 14 day voyage on the Emerald Princess? If it's the 14 day, there goes half of the deposit just for tips. I'll betcha you'll want a nice romantic dinner at Sabatini's or the Crown Grille... or maybe opt for the Chef's Table... Then there's photos, drinks, souvenirs, etc.

And remember, you'll get back whatever is left at the end of the voyage. Have a great cruise!

Yes, from what I understand, it'll be $300 per person to establish a cash account. And honestly, you'll probably use it too...

Are you taking the 7 day or 14 day voyage on the Emerald Princess? If it's the 14 day, there goes half of the deposit just for tips. I'll betcha you'll want a nice romantic dinner at Sabatini's or the Crown Grille... or maybe opt for the Chef's Table... Then there's photos, drinks, souvenirs, etc.

And remember, you'll get back whatever is left at the end of the voyage. Have a great cruise!

Lol not really. We don't really care for the specialty resturaunts. Were going to try them but from what I have seen from quite a few people they said do not waste your money. So we won't be. And we don't drink. $100 is what we planned on spending for photos. But I guess your right with the autotip, it would come out of that. So not so bad. I will just look at it that way. I am going on the 7 day cruise with Emerald.

Archived