One day it's sold out, the next day it's selling?

I have been watching the carnival website for considerable price drops for a balcony on the 9/11 sailing on the Destiny. For quite some time the OV catagory has been sold out, while all other catagories have remained available. This morning on the Carnival website it is showing inside cabins as sold out and they are selling OV. How does that happen?

What you see on the website is not all that is available. It's quite possible that a group of cabins were being held for specific purposes, and once those "specials" are completed they release the cabins that were not used. ((ticket master does this on ticket sales) Holding cabins also forces a person that wants to go on a cruise to perhaps choose a cabin that they wouldn't normally want, or to pay more for another type of balcony. If cruise lines put every cabin on sale available at one time, then the ship would fill up in a very strange way, so they release the cabins sporadically,, once sections become full.

It sounds to me like Carnival has started upselling, where for a discounted price, people are moved up ... freeing lower categories that can be sold for cheaper without dropping the price for those of us who watch for price drops.

In this case since your cruise is 9/11, its unlikely to be TAs releasing cabins, since its so close to your sail date.

Have you checked on your roll call?? whenever there are upsells going on, usually people are posting that they are getting calls or emails ... so you know its going on or not.

As of the other day our roll call had 3 people posting. I figure this sailing must be filling with new cruisers who are not familiar with CC. My better thought was there were only 3 people sailing! LOL

Often, as a cruise approaches TAs will release blocks of cabins that they had been holding. When these are returned to Carnival they show up on the web site as being available...

:)

Are you saying that TAs might sometimes have cabins available that Carnival itself is

not selling direct? That seems like an advantage to using TAs.

Are you saying that TAs might sometimes have cabins available that Carnival itself is

Yes, TA doing group cruises will hold blocks of cabins. But unless you know which TA has which cabins, its not all that beneficial.

If you know of a way to access groups you might find out, otherwise, Id be checking around final payment. Just before final payment, the TAs usually have to release all the group cabins they were holding they didnt sell. The OP is way past final payment, whichever cruise he is on, so thats why I dont think in this case its TAs releasing cabins back. Too far past final payment date.

If you know of a way to access groups you might find out, otherwise, Id be checking around final payment. Just before final payment, the TAs usually have to release all the group cabins they were holding they didnt sell. The OP is way past final payment, whichever cruise he is on, so thats why I dont think in this case its TAs releasing cabins back. Too far past final payment date.

Great info!

If a bunch of cabins become available just around the time that final payment is due does that lead to price drops or does Carnival wait until later

to lower prices?

(sorry if this is a highjack)

I have to say the selling of this sail date (9/11) on the Destiny seems very odd to me. All catagories are now sold out with the exception of suites and the price of suites have rocketed to over $1000. If you check the roll call there are 3 or 4 people in it!

When looking at similar sail dates on different ships there are 7 day cruises selling for much cheaper. I would love to understand the rhyme and reason behind the scenes

Archived