Princess Air - Flexiable or Restricted?

phabric

For comparison look at booking the same flights directly online. American has a good comparable fee structure where you can see what the terms mean and what the impact is on price.

Restricted means the tickets are for that flight only, and fairly large change fees are in effect should one wish to move to a different flight. Flexible brings down the change fees and allows one less costly options should you later wish to change the flight (e.g. if you decided to fly in the day before).

Restricted tickets are often the cheapest, as one locks in to that flight and prepays well in advance.

Doing some comparisons I found Princess EZ air close to the prices I would pay booking directly online. One could consider the difference as paying for that "next port" option as an insurance policy. If flying in the same day that may prove invaluable.

I read somewhere on CC about Princess New Air that you had to pay off your cruise before buying air with Restricted (?). Flexible would be good IF the price went down.

Our cruise is not until Aug 16,2011. We plan on flying a couple of days before and flying back on disembarkment day. I am watching the prices now to see what prices might be. In the past, I could get a better deal booking air myself. We always take insurance that includes air. Plan on taking direct flights.

The way I understand it is that the Flexible pricing is NOT guaranteed until the cruise and the air are paid in full, so you are able to make changes up until final payment - but with NO guarantee of the fare. With restricted you are locked into your pricing and your flight - changes will incur a fee but prices will not change. Because it's new it's still not fully understood - if you have a question, call Princess. And then call them again ;)

Princess eZAir - Air Program Overview

Princess redesigned their air program with more flexibility and choice. Flights can be reviewed in real time and you can choose your number of stops, class of service, etc. at the time of booking - without paying additional customization fee. No more surprises. Flights become available to book between 320 days before the end travel date and 4 days prior to the cruise.

eZAir provides Next Port Protection. If there is an airline delay, Princess routes you to the next appropriate port of call (in compliance with the Passenger Services Act, natch, and subject to customs agent availability at the next port). If PVP is purchased, it will cover the air, in addition to the cruise.

Princess eZAir: Restricted Air

Passengers choose a typically lower-priced restricted option that gives access to competitive fares. These tickets are generally not refundable (e.g. no cash back), and are subject to change and cancellation fees. In addition, restricted air tickets are only available for purchase once a booking has been deposited and must be paid for at the time the air booking is made, in order to lock in the schedule and air rate.

Highlights of the Restricted Air option:

• Next Port Protection
  • Competitive rates.
  • Ideal for those who know their plans won't change.
  • Payment is due when the air is booked to lock in the schedule and fare.
  • In order to change the flights, it is necessary to cancel and rebook, incurring cancellation fees.
  • Air charges are non-refundable (e.g. no cash back).

Princess eZAir: Flexible Air

Passengers choosing the Flexible Air option (generally a higher fare, but not always) will have the benefit of a fully refundable air ticket that can be changed or canceled without charges up to 45 days before the first flight, allowing them freedom in their travel plans. Tickets are not payable until the final cruise payment is due.

Here are some of the highlights of the Flexible Air option:

• Next Port Protection
  • Air charges are fully refundable up to 45 days prior to the first flight. Within 45 days prior to the first flight, change and cancellation fees will apply.
  • Payment is due at the booking final payment date*.
  • Special requests can be accommodated with no additional customization fee.

*If air is added to a booking and the final payment due date for the voyage has passed, full payment for air will be due at the time of booking.

One important note: air price for Flexible Air is subject to change until the booking is paid in full.

Archived