US Grant or Westin

mexico5

Hi, we are either going to stay at the US Grant or the Westin Gaslamp for our precruise in San Diego. We have stayed at US Grant before and that was a nice place and we love the location of both of the hotels. They are basically the same price...has anyone stayed at both before or the Westin Gaslamp? Not much about these on the Ports board.

Also if I could ask...do any Canadians recall if SAN has a duty free shop while in your terminal? I could be wrong but it seems like last time we were there there was not one! I think it was the only airport ever NOT to have a store for us to buy our cheap US liquor at. I won't pack it in my suitcase so duty free is my only option.

Thanks!

From a straight "nice" perspective, Westin is a little nicer.

As far as "character", US Grant has more.

FWIW, there are two Westins ... one in Horton Plaza and one Downtown. (About 5 blocks from each other.) I have stayed in Horton, but not downtown. I suspect downtown would be just as nice, but even less character - it is a businessman's hotel through and through.

Thanks for your replies!

KK I was actually referring to SAN the airport terminal...anyone know about duty free there?

The Westin Gaslamp is the one at Horton Plaza...that's the area we like. I will check out the Marriott is it is in the same area!

Thanks!

The Westin Gaslamp is the one at Horton Plaza...that's the area we like. I will check out the Marriott is it is in the same area!

There are actually two Marriotts a couple of blocks away from each other, too. The Marriott Marina gets great reviews and is right on the water, but is a HUGE convention hotel without much character. The Marriott Gaslamp is closer to the action of the district, significantly smaller, and has a boutique feel that will absolutely make you forget you're even in a Marriott. It has a hip rooftop bar and a great restaurant on the street. I've stayed there several times and find the staff to be top-notch--can you tell it's my top choice in San Diego?!

There are actually two Marriotts a couple of blocks away from each other, too. The Marriott Marina gets great reviews and is right on the water, but is a HUGE convention hotel without much character. The Marriott Gaslamp is closer to the action of the district, significantly smaller, and has a boutique feel that will absolutely make you forget you're even in a Marriott. It has a hip rooftop bar and a great restaurant on the street. I've stayed there several times and find the staff to be top-notch--can you tell it's my top choice in San Diego?!

We love the rooptop bar. A large firepit to keep you comfy on cool nights.

Thanks for the great info! That's weird about no duty free at SAN airport...but we will survive.

We're only staying one night before the cruise so I shouldn't care about the hotel, but I do. My DH says our vacation starts as soon we are on the plane and he always wants a nice hotel to start off our vacation on a good note!

There is no duty free shop at the San Diego terminal. However, many of my flights out of San Diego to Vancouver have a one-two hour layover in either Seattle or San Francisco, which do have duty free shops. Only time that doesn't work is if I have a direct flight San Diego to Vancouver, but sometimes you can buy "onboard" as many of the airlines have their own duty free program on board.

Archived