US Grant or Westin

mexico5

Hi, we are either going to stay at the US Grant or the Westin Gaslamp for our precruise in San Diego. We have stayed at US Grant before and that was a nice place and we love the location of both of the hotels. They are basically the same price...has anyone stayed at both before or the Westin Gaslamp? Not much about these on the Ports board.

Also if I could ask...do any Canadians recall if SAN has a duty free shop while in your terminal? I could be wrong but it seems like last time we were there there was not one! I think it was the only airport ever NOT to have a store for us to buy our cheap US liquor at. I won't pack it in my suitcase so duty free is my only option.

Thanks!

Reviews on Tripadvisor.com are pretty equal, with a slight edge to the Grant. But you'd need to look at the individual reviews by travelrs to see what they liked or disliked about each. We recently stayed at the Omni, getting it for $80 plus taxes/fees through Pricelne. Very, very nice (but best to get a city-view rather than bay-view room, to be further from the train/trolley tracks). Just before that stayed at the very elegant, albeit expensive, Grant Hyatt, during a conference.

There is no duty free shop in the cruise terminal.

I have been told by other Canadian visitors that our normal stores have VERY good prices compared to prices in Canada.

Perhaps that is the reason there is no liquor store with duty free.

• 2 months later...

Thanks! Still haven't decided between the 2 hotels so will probably base our decision on the cheapest price!

We couldn't buy any duty free at SAN airport (IF they had it) because we now have to have a connecting flight back to Calgary. Because of that we also can't buy it in a regular store either! Too bad because alcohol is so expensive here!

Can't wait for our first HAL cruise in December!

Here's some information on the Westin from this board: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1275965&highlight=westin

I would stay at the US Grant if the price was the same. It's a higher category in Starwood (I think it's a 5, vs. a 4 for the Westin) which makes it in theory a more luxurious hotel. The lobby is amazing, but I've never been in a room, so don't know whether they are as well.

Archived