Capri & Pompeii on our own from Salerno

mrygal

Hi all. I previously posted asking for tips from Naples port but apparently the port has changed to tendering in Salerno. Considering this, do you guys still think this is possible or should I just suck it up and do the cruise ship excursion that promises Capri, Pompeii and Sorrento? Its pretty expensive and I know they'll spend a portion of our valuable time dragging us into pointless shops or factories. But is it my best option? Thanks.

You're looking at a lot of time on the road, regardless of whether you use the ship's tour or do it on your own. Even with a car or bus driving directly, you're looking at about four hours of travel time. How long is your port day?

One complicating factor is the limited number of ferries between Salerno and Capri. You didn't say what time of year you will be there, normally I suggest going to Pompei in the morning to avoid the heat, but due to the limited ferry options I think I'd suggest going directly to Capri as soon as you get off the ship.

From Capri, take a ferry to Sorrento (these are fairly frequent), then the Circumvesuviana train to Pompei.

Now is when it gets a little confusing. Coming back from Pompei to Salerno you need to switch train lines and take the state railroad (Trenitalia) from the new town of Pompei, about a mile from the excavations. This is necessary because the Circumvesuviana line ends in Sorrento.

Thanks Eurocruiser. Our trip is at the end of Sept. It sounds like it might be a little too complicated for a 7a to 7p window ( and we're tendered so that really leaves us even less time ). This sounds like a high risk situstion in terms of missing the ship. I think we'll bite the bullet and give in to the ship's excursion. Darn it!

If you want to see Capri and Pompeii I would highly recommend that you take the ships tour. I too think it is too much to do on your own. The thing about doing this on your own is that if time is on your side that is great. But if you attempt to do this on your own I will guarantee that you will spend part of the day worrying whether or not you will make it back to the ship and essentially ruin your day. So, I agree you should bite the bullet and take the ships tour.

Enjoy!

Keith

Archived