10 Night Caribbean Calypso # of Formal Nights

Argus

Hi,

For the Jan.3rd 2011 10 Night Caribbean Calypso cruise on the QM2, does anyone know what the breakdown will be for the number of formal nights etc? Never too early to start our packing list...lol

We are also booked on this cruise in a category A2 - there should be 3 formal nights

on this cruise. I can't wait. I love the ship and the ports are great. Just drive to the ship and we are on the best ship in the world to the caribbean. I heard the A categories are great. We are on deck 11

Dave and Kathy

Hi,

For the Jan.3rd 2011 10 Night Caribbean Calypso cruise on the QM2, does anyone know what the breakdown will be for the number of formal nights etc? Never too early to start our packing list...lol

I believe this cruise has 6 nights at sea. The first and last nights are usually elegant casual, leaving a max of 4 formal nights. There are 4 nights after visiting ports which are normally elegant casual or occasionally semi-formal. I don't know if that will help with your packing list, but I've found that the dress code can change from the original notice until fairly close to your embarkation date anyway. ;)

Port days are not necessarily excluded from being formal nights. My 9-night NE/Canada cruise has 3 sea days (including the last night) and 5 formal nights. Three of the port days are slated to be formal nights, including the Black & White Ball.

Hi all,

Thanks for your responses. Cunard has stated that the details for the cruise are not yet available as of yet, but based on similar

previous cruises, there should be 4 formal, 3-4 elegant and the remainder

semi-formal evenings. Either way I am sure we will over pack.

Now lets see if the upgrade fairy brings us from our P1 to a Q.

Port days are not necessarily excluded from being formal nights. My 9-night NE/Canada cruise has 3 sea days (including the last night) and 5 formal nights. Three of the port days are slated to be formal nights, including the Black & White Ball.

Hi Underwatr. Wow, that's quite a challenge, dressing formal on the last night of your cruise, considering that passenger are requested to have their bags packed for disembarkation as early on the last night as possible.:eek: Five formal nights during a 9 night cruise with 5 ports of call sounds to me a bit out of the norm, even a bit excessive (in my humble opinion) considering the scheduled departure time from 3 of the 5 ports appear to be after 5pm. Perhaps because this cruise is between r/t TA crossings, things are different? Anyway, please come back after your voyage and let me (us) know how it worked out.

I've been on 2 short QM2 cruises to Canada, but I've not sailed to Quebec. That must be a thrilling voyage! Can't wait to read your report of the voyage between Halifax and Quebec. I've been told it is very beautiful, and I hope some day to see it. Lucky you; only 10 days from now, you'll be sailing :)

Bon voyage!

Salacia

P.S. On a 9 night cruise, if you have 5 formal nights as you said, that leaves 4 nights to be either semi-formal or casual. Kind of unbalanced, no?

Bon voyage!

Salacia

P.S. On a 9 night cruise, if you have 5 formal nights as you said, that leaves 4 nights to be either semi-formal or casual. Kind of unbalanced, no?

Always take what Shoreside says about the order of the formal and not so formal nights with a grain of salt... :cool:

Always take what Shoreside says about the order of the formal and not so formal nights with a grain of salt... :cool:

LOL NomDePlume, I hear that! I've often wondered if Shoreside has a mischievous sense of humor regarding dress code instructions. On either my first or second QM2 cruise, passengers embarking in Southampton were given one set of dress codes while passengers embarking in Red Hook were given different instructions. On the first night out, most of the Brits/Europeans were dressed to the gills in formal attire. Those of us who joined the voyage in Brooklyn were dressed in elegant casual. It would have made a great scene for a comedy.:D Especially the number of times the sign was changed at the enterance to the MDR reading Tonight's dress code is :eek:

And that is why I always over pack (at least that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!).:cool:

Cheers,

Salacia

I broached the subject with the Senior Hostess on my return to the States and she explained that it is not always possible to hold to the order dictated by Shoreside, as they have to deal with emergencies and other staff impediments without the pool of replacements that may be available to a shoreside venue--pretty hard to fly in someone to replace an ailing or missing star performer, or even a whole part of the band...

I always bring one extra formal and semi-formal piece. It was so much easier to cross on QE2 when one did not have to worry about the dreaded "elegant casual"... Cruises are, of course a total other nightmare...

partial quote

It was so much easier to cross on QE2 when one did not have to worry about the dreaded "elegant casual"... Cruises are, of course a total other nightmare...

NomDePlume, I never had the privledge of sailing on QE2...do I understand your post correctly in that "elegant casual" was never on the evening dress code? Oddly enough, I can see how that would simplify packing.

NomDePlume, I never had the privledge of sailing on QE2...do I understand your post correctly in that "elegant casual" was never on the evening dress code? Oddly enough, I can see how that would simplify packing.

The first and last nights of a crossing were semi-formal--all the others were formal. Easy. And as for packing on the last night, it's just as easy to tuck in a cocktail dress as a casual outfit...

In my brief experience with Cunard, the last evening is often listed as a Formal in documents produced shoreside but it has never ever happened. It always gets down graded to Elegant Casual. The crew don't want a formal on that night as they are busy setting things up for changeover. A big pinch of salt is needed.

In my brief experience with Cunard, the last evening is often listed as a Formal in documents produced shoreside but it has never ever happened. It always gets down graded to Elegant Casual. The crew don't want a formal on that night as they are busy setting things up for changeover. A big pinch of salt is needed.

Ah!--but I was speaking of crossings on QE2... ;)

Wow, that's quite a challenge, dressing formal on the last night of your cruise

It's not quite that extreme, although the majority of in-port days are formal. Here's the layout:

1. Embarkation - Elegant causal

2. In-port - Formal (Black & White Ball)

3. In-port - Formal

4. In-port - Semi

5. In-port - Formal

6. At sea - Formal

7. In-port - Elegant Casual

8. At sea - Formal

9. At sea (pre-debark) - Elegant Causal

I've heard that the mix can change, but I've packed (and shopped) for the above mix so I'm sort of hoping it sticks.

(Shrug) First cruise, so it's all I know so far...

Archived