The search is over

Ozjohnno

Finally! After many months of reading all the threads, taking in all the advice offered and pages of Excel points and data we've finally paid our deposit on our "Holiday of a Lifetime". We'll be travelling Amsterdam to Budapest 6th September 2011 with Tauck. We even have our cabin number allocated. Whilst, here in Australia, we don't have quite the number of companies to choose from we still have our share and it wasn't an easy decision by any means.

Many on this board have pointed out that Tauck is good but they are the most expensive. Now I can honestly say that on the quotes we got from our TA they certainly were not down here. We looked at itineraries, the extra expenses of tips/gratuities and the hidden costs of optional extras with a number of companies and Tauck, in our minds offered us everything we wanted and everything is included in our price. Even though we have over a year to wait we are very excited about taking our first river cruise.

For now it's back to reading all the reports and great guidance that comes from these threads as I'm sure we'll find more and more of our questions answered before we think of asking them. The only thing I find a little disturbing is that around here there are so few of you that have travelled with Tauck on the rivers and take the time to tell us all about it.

Congrats!!! I am sure that you will enjoy this cruise... the worst thing is having to wait almost a year before you go. :D

At the end of the day - you picked what will work for you. September is a great month to travel - and I am guessing that the costs of the flights are a bit more manageable (not summer in either your home country or the continent you are travelling to.)

Although there haven't been as many posts on Tauck as there have been on other lines, there are lots of people who can offer advice on the itinerary... And, you will be able to add to the Tauck reviews by October 2011.

As many will tell you - river cruising is addictive. Although this will be your 1st river cruise, may the experience be such that it is only the first of many.

Hi Ozjohnno,

As someone who has just taken their 14th tour with Tauck, I want you to know you made a good choice. Did your TA tell you that Tauck is giving a free night's stay at their hotel either before or after the trip? They use top hotels. Go to Tauck's website and sign up for the "Ask and Share Board" and you will get answers to whatever questions you might have. There is a review of the Swiss Emerald on this Cruise Critic board in the "Ship Reviews" section. Tauck also has a video on its website about their river boats. You can also put "Tauck" in the search engine of this "River and Canal Cruise" board. It is at the top of threads. Tauck will also pick you up free at the airport and transport you to their hotel (if you are coming in a day earlier) and transport you to the airport at the end of your cruise.

Sheila

Most of the river cruise companies that service Australia already have the gratuities built into the cost of the trip ... many of the Australians that we have been with say that they don't tip much if at all in Australia ...

When we traveled to Australia we were told that if we wanted to leave a tip at a restaurant to only leave 5%, which is hard for those of us in the US who are used to giving larger tips.

Fran,

Thanks for your kind thoughts. We are hoping that September weather will be just great.

Sheila,

Thanks for the advice about the free night stay but our TA advises us that it appears that offer is only available to Nth American clients. Done a lot of research on Tauck and in fact all the cruise lines and they certainly look to fill all our expectations.

Webfoot,

Whilst it's true that most Aussies find tipping "unusual" (we don't tip down here) we found when our quotes arrived that only Tauck, APT (they use AMA) and Scenic included gratuities in the cost. The remainder all quoted the trip only and when you spreadsheet all the optionals and gratuities those other companies prices go up considerably. As I said in my original post we were totally surprised to find that both APT and Scenic were quite a deal more expensive than Tauck.

SJGOCH,

I have read the outstanding story of your trip and you'll probably get a few emails from me very soon.

Thanks again for all your inputs.

Rod

We found on our first Avalon cruise that both Australians and Canadians had the tips built in their price ... after being in Australia, I do understand that ... but never thought that about Canadians ... oh well, live and learn.

Have a wonderful cruise ...

Love to know how the Canadians got their tips included... I'll bet it was something their TA threw in (the river cruise equivalent of an OBC).

We have travelled with both Uniworld and AMA - and paid the gratuities ourselves both times. Will have to again this fall with Uniworld. First "all inclusive" will be Scenic next spring.

After reading about "gratuities with AMA I just phoned a friend of mine who cruised last year with APT an Australian Travel Group that is in partnership with AMA. He paid for his gratuities in the price of the trip and didn't get the envelope left on his bed. BUT he also said that about half the cruisers were Australian and the remainder from Nth America and there was quite a deal of discussion about why some got envelopes and some didn't. He also said there was just a little pressure put on him to "do the envelope thing" too but he politely pointed out that he had already contributed as part of his overall trip cost. He said there was a little head scratching by some and mumbles about "tight assed Aussies" but he just let it go. BTW he loved his trip and it was his story about it over a beer or two last Xmas that got us seriously thinking about our trip.

re paying in advance for tips. when this has happened on our river cruises with avalon, we were given with our documentation, paper vouchers that stated tips had been prepaid.

these were then placed into the envelopes at the end of the cruises.

if people want to tip more of course they are free to do so.

it really in my opinion is not something that needs to be discussed, unless you want to do so. its a personal decision and really no ones business what an individual decides to give?

this can be an issue that promotes debate but as said we do not feel the need to discuss what we give or the amount, but everyone is different and we all have different experiences.

re paying in advance for tips. when this has happened on our river cruises with avalon, we were given with our documentation, paper vouchers that stated tips had been prepaid.

these were then placed into the envelopes at the end of the cruises.

if people want to tip more of course they are free to do so.

it really in my opinion is not something that needs to be discussed, unless you want to do so. its a personal decision and really no ones business what an individual decides to give?

this can be an issue that promotes debate but as said we do not feel the need to discuss what we give or the amount, but everyone is different and we all have different experiences.

I'm sorry if I or others offended you but I was mearly stating how we came to our decision to travel with Tauck and the fact they included all gratuities was, because we're Australian, a significant factor in our decision making. I agree that tipping is individual and private but when you're costing trips down here it is essential, in my opinion, that you take everything into account. The cost of optionals and the cost of 'tipping" included.

Again sorry if this opened up an old "tipping wound".

Hi again Ozjohnno,

When we traveled with Tauck in July, our port charges were also included as part of their all-inclusive river cruise (except airfare). Yesterday, I received my statement for our AMA river cruise for September 2011 listing port charges. So this is another item to consider when checking out all the river cruise lines to make a decision.

Sheila

Hi again Ozjohnno,

When we traveled with Tauck in July, our port charges were also included as part of their all-inclusive river cruise (except airfare). Yesterday, I received my statement for our AMA river cruise for September 2011 listing port charges. So this is another item to consider when checking out all the river cruise lines to make a decision.

Sheila

I know you are so right Sheila. When we did or spread sheeting of the itineraries, hidden costs like optionals, gratuities and charges we were not only very happy to find that Tauck had included them all in our total price but with all of that they were still cheaper in Australia than two of their high profile competitors. We are very, very happy with our choice for next year.

Rod.

We went on a Grand Circle cruise in March. Our boat was docked next to a Tauck boat and we had to walk through their lobby to get to our boat. It was like walking from the Ritz (Tauck) to the Motel 6 (Grand Circle). :D

I think you are very much going to enjoy your trip on one of their beautiful boats.

• 1 year later...

Archived