Questions regarding South American Cruise

JudeeJim

I originally posted this on the South America Board but not much help. Any answers to my questions will be greately appreciated.

We have scheduled an excursion to Magdalena Penguin Reserve and I have a couple of questions.

The excursion shows about 3/4 mile walk on a graded path, not paved. I have had a hip replacement and knee replacement within the last year. Can anyone explain what problems I might have walking on uneven ground? Do you think walking sticks would be a good idea?

Also any suggestions as to the type of clothes to wear? I am sure layering is the best bet but anyone know just what kind of weather to expect?

Oh, and if you are on the same cruise on HAL leaving Valparaiso on November 26, 2010 how about joining the Roll Call for this cruise?

Judee

The excursion shows about 3/4 mile walk on a graded path, not paved. I have had a hip replacement and knee replacement within the last year. Can anyone explain what problems I might have walking on uneven ground? Do you think walking sticks would be a good idea?

You might have to answer that yourself. My mother had her hip replaced also and the difference between one month was quite a change, and everyone heals at a different rate. The way you feel at the time will be the best judge. Happy travels, JK

We took the St. Magdalena Island excursion when we did our SA cruise. Yes, I would recommend taking a walking stick with you, especially if you would like to make your way up to the lighthouse. As I recall, when you leave the ferry which takes your bus to the island (at least back then it took our busses), the path gradually ascends. However, even if you decide not to make your way up to the lighthouse, you will still be able to see a lot of penguins up close. We really enjoyed that excursion. Have a great cruise! :)

be sure to dress in layers on this one. even with the sun out it was chilly. I was there the last week of Jan this past year.

it got quite windy, so it was not possible to walk all the way to the lighthouse. still, lots of wonderful penguins to see.

If this is the excursion I'm remembering (I don't recall a lighthouse, but perhaps I didn't get to it?), then there were scooters available for rent for $25. Is this in Punta Arenas, Chile? And there's a wooden walkway out to the seaside pavillion? And lots and lots of penguins on the way?

There were two pathways---a shorter, and a longer.

Anyway, ask the shore excursion office if there are scooters for rent at the site. They could make all the difference for you. The stop was a highlight for me.

Ruth, Do you know anyone that has taken the Antatica excursion?

Are you referring to the flight that goes over Antarctica, from one of the South America ports? The one that costs somewhere between $2000-$3000? And goes, even if the routing has to be changed?

On my first South America/Antarctica cruise I knew one woman who did it. The route had to be changed, due to weather conditions over Antarctica. I believe, but don't recall how I came to this conclusion, that it's frequently the case that the routing has to be changed.

The woman I referred to did enjoy her tour, however. And I believe there is a partial refund if you don't make it to Antarctica.

Wish I could be of more help on this one.

Thanks! That is the one. it is on by bucket list and we are going on the Veendam in Jan and plan on doing this excursion to get to Antartica and then I will have all 7 contents and 50 states. My DW and DD will have 6 and all the states. I hope this goes as planed.

any other info would be nice.

Archived