Princess Secrets they Don't Tell You

philsfun

You question is probably asked tongue in cheek

actually -- i was serious. I rarely buy wine at dinner due to the expense of it, and have never brought it on a cruise.... once was given wine in a gift basket from our TA, and we were not charged a cork fee. [near end of cruise, waiters got a great tip from us]

so -- I honestly had no idea. I'll probably just keep the wine in our room - with the exception of one night, which is our anniversary -- may just splurge then, and have a nice Canadian Ice Wine for dessert.

**edited to add **

If you don't ask, you wont know the right answer.... so i asked.

Re this suggestion

This is not a "Secret" and is very obvious to most of us, but when using your own PC onboard and checking your email, never read individual messages while you're on line using up your minutes. Download everything by clicking 'Send and Receive' and then read it off line. Compose ALL your outgoing messages in Word, Word Pad, etc before you go back on line, and then cut and paste them into an email.

This suggests that the emails are actually being composed on line thus the Send option of your computer's email program

(Windows Mail, Outlook Express, etc) is not really being used.

It would be even more efficient, thus less costly, instead of typing your message in a word program, then copying and pasting it or composing to an email while on line with an internet based mail service, is to actually use your laptop's email program Send option. It appears someone must be using such a program to do "Send and Receive" and reading messages off line but are not really using the Send part or option. You can completely compose your messages or replies to messages offline including adding email addresses and attaching any files, such as picture and document, while offline using the computer's email program . The only time needed on line would be to upload your messages and download the incoming ones. Just use the Option function under Tools to unclick the box for Send & Receive at Start up. You completely compose your messages offline and then click on File > Send Later and those messages will be stored in the Out Box folder. When you do log on to the ship's internet, have your computer email browser on and click on Tools > Send and Receive > Send and Receive All. Once the uploads and downloads are complete, log off. During the last four years that I’ve had my own PC onboard I’ve been was able to send and receive emails using only a minute or two of billed time per log on.

actually -- i was serious. I rarely buy wine at dinner due to the expense of it, and have never brought it on a cruise.... once was given wine in a gift basket from our TA, and we were not charged a cork fee. [near end of cruise, waiters got a great tip from us]

so -- I honestly had no idea. I'll probably just keep the wine in our room - with the exception of one night, which is our anniversary -- may just splurge then, and have a nice Canadian Ice Wine for dessert.

**edited to add **

You are right, if you don't ask, you don't know

No question is stupid

If you got wine from you TA and it was in your room, then it was purchased through the ship, that's why you didn't get charged a cork fee.

To be honest, I find decent priced bottles on Princess' wine list. Their typical prices are about $20 more than in a store. That's not bad. Some cruiselines charge way more than that. I like to buy my own, so I know I'm getting wine I like.

This suggests that the emails are actually being composed on line thus the Send option of your computer's email program

(Windows Mail, Outlook Express, etc) is not really being used.

It would be even more efficient, thus less costly, instead of typing your message in a word program, then copying and pasting it or composing to an email while on line with an internet based mail service, is to actually use your laptop's email program Send option. It appears someone must be using such a program to do "Send and Receive" and reading messages off line but are not really using the Send part or option. You can completely compose your messages or replies to messages offline including adding email addresses and attaching any files, such as picture and document, while offline using the computer's email program . The only time needed on line would be to upload your messages and download the incoming ones. Just use the Option function under Tools to unclick the box for Send & Receive at Start up. You completely compose your messages offline and then click on File > Send Later and those messages will be stored in the Out Box folder. When you do log on to the ship's internet, have your computer email browser on and click on Tools > Send and Receive > Send and Receive All. Once the uploads and downloads are complete, log off. During the last four years that I’ve had my own PC onboard I’ve been was able to send and receive emails using only a minute or two of billed time per log on.

Many of us do not use Microsoft based email programs, instead we use gmail, yahoo, or hotmail which are internet based email programs where it is essential to use a word processing program (I use "pages" on my iPad or iphone) to write emails and then copy and paste them into the email when online.

We bring a digital alarm so we can see the time if we wake up in the night...it is so dark in our cabin...you'd never know if it was daylight...

The docking/charging station for our Droid phones turns them into a desktop alarm clock so no need for a seperate clock. I would think the same is true for iphones. Just be sure it is in airplane mode and turn off automatic time settings so you can adjust it to ships time as needed.

Many of us do not use Microsoft based email programs, instead we use gmail, yahoo, or hotmail which are internet based email programs where it is essential to use a word processing program (I use "pages" on my iPad or iphone) to write emails and then copy and paste them into the email when online.

Yes, I also normally use yahoo and sometimes hotmail online and only use the Windows Mail on my laptop when cruising to download messages from our principle email accounts, which are yahoo ones, to save on log on time.

The suggestion was " when using your own PC onboard and checking your email, never read individual messages while you're on line using up your minutes. Download everything by clicking 'Send and Receive' and then read it off line" and IMO that indicates a laptop's mail program is being used. You don't really do that with an online email service so my discussion wasn't about that type of email service.

I agree if you are using internet based and not a PC based mail programs then typing in a word program, copying and pasting while composing your message online does save some ship's internet log on time but this isn't as efficient as composing completely offline.

Wow, thank you for all the wonderful tips! This will be my first Princess cruise next week (got 3 bottles of Muscato and 2 reds, as well as a six pack with me thanks to this board!) And I've learned a lot.

One thing I've learned, regardless of the cruise line, is be skeptical of any "deals" you see on the ship or right off the port - most of the stores are owned my cruise lines and standard tourist crap you can get anywhere... think of the disgust most folks have for tourist trips in their own town... go past the dock, get away from the uber touristy traps and find the more local markets. You might have to walk a little farther, but you'll probably find something more authentic and/or cheaper. Also, you can book nearly the same excursions for half price if you book them on the dock instead of through the ship.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

**edited to add **

You are right. As I always told my staff, the only stupid question is the one you don't ask.

If you buy wine on board there is no corkage fee. That might have been the case with the gift basket from your TA.

There are some reasonably good wines on the Princess Wine List for around $30 which would be the same as bringing a $15 bottle of wine and paying corkage. We only bring more expensive wine from our favorite local wineries to dinner. The less expensive wine is consumed on our balcony before dinner.

Enjoy your cruise and your wine, wherever you may drink it :)

I assume you're traveling out of FLL. No problem to bring lots of wine on board at that port. We stop at Total Wine on our way to the ship. We don't mind paying the $15 cork fee. Sometimes, we don't even get charged; then we leave a nice tip.

so is this a port thing ? depending on what port your embarkment is. or are they just more tolerant at FLL?

so is this a port thing ? depending on what port your embarkment is. or are they just more tolerant at FLL?
The answer, as often with Princess, is "it depends". From the Princess website Alcohol Policy (I added the bullets):

• We kindly request that you do not bring alcoholic beverages (other than wine and/or champagne) onboard for consumption.
  • Alcoholic beverages sourced from shore-side and brought onboard, no matter where sourced, will be collected at the gangway for safekeeping and will be delivered to the passenger's stateroom on the last day of the cruise.
  • A member of the ship's security staff will be at the gangway to assist passengers with the storage of their alcoholic beverage purchases. The only exception to the above rule, is that passengers are permitted to bring one bottle of wine and/or champagne per person purchased in a shoreside location onboard. If the wine and/or champagne is brought to the dining room for consumption, a $15.00 per bottle corkage fee will be applied to the passenger's shipboard account. We prefer that passengers bring wine/champagne no larger than 750ml, however, magnums are acceptable. Wine in a box is not encouraged.
  • Passengers are also permitted to consume the wine and/or champagne in the privacy of their stateroom only, but it may not be brought into any public lounge for consumption.
  • Please note that any wines and champagnes supplied from the ship's stock to passengers would not be subject to a corkage fee.

We have openly brought on more than one bottle of wine per person when boarding at San Pedro (3 times), Vancouver, Buenos Aires and Valparaiso but never a whole case. It has been posted recently that some ports including FLL have enforced the one bottle of wine rule while others on the same cruise have brought on a full case.

FLL is the one I most familiar with, although in Europe, we never had issues bringing wine or beer on board. I understand that in Hawaii, they enforce the one bottle rule.

IEcalcruiser-just an aside. We did the Baltics last year, it was great. If you need any recomm, you can email me at mrspaper1 at aol dot com

Yes, I also normally use yahoo and sometimes hotmail online and only use the Windows Mail on my laptop when cruising to download messages from our principle email accounts, which are yahoo ones, to save on log on time.

The suggestion was " when using your own PC onboard and checking your email, never read individual messages while you're on line using up your minutes. Download everything by clicking 'Send and Receive' and then read it off line" and IMO that indicates a laptop's mail program is being used. You don't really do that with an online email service so my discussion wasn't about that type of email service.

I agree if you are using internet based and not a PC based mail programs then typing in a word program, copying and pasting while composing your message online does save some ship's internet log on time but this isn't as efficient as composing completely offline.

One last thing, I compose my entire email offline and when it is complete, I fire up the internet and paste the email in, it amounts to the same as your send and receive function, and for me it is much more efficient.

One last thing, I compose my entire email offline and when it is complete, I fire up the internet and paste the email in, it amounts to the same as your send and receive function, and for me it is much more efficient.

You still have to do the copy and paste part online for each email individually before uploading them one at a time even if the email you compose offline is complete with recipient's email addresses and all attachments, such as documents and pictures. Using the PC's program all emails are completely done and stored in the outbox off line and only needs to be sent or uploaded as a group to the internet when online by hitting Send All.

That's great if your method is fine for you but IMO it isn't more efficient.

How do you review your incoming messages offline? I guess you could download each individual message (without reading them) one at a time to your unit but for me it's easier to do a quick review of the message list (without opening any) while online to delete any spam or emails I don't want downloading and then download them all as a group with one Receive All command to be review offline.

Actually with a PC's email program you can use the Send All and Receive All command to do all uploads and downloads as one continuous series of operations.

The docking/charging station for our Droid phones turns them into a desktop alarm clock so no need for a seperate clock. I would think the same is true for iphones. Just be sure it is in airplane mode and turn off automatic time settings so you can adjust it to ships time as needed.

Yes there is. iHome has an inexpensive clock/radio/iPod player. It charges your iPod and plays it via speakers that pop up on the sides and really have decent sound. You can change the brightness of the clock display,and it has a remote control to boot, so perfect for the cabin.

Mine is about the size of a smaller clock radio, but they also make them cubed shape. Saw one on sale at Best Buy for $14.99 down from $45.99! Almost bought that one just cause it was a great price even though I don't need it.

How do you review your incoming messages offline? I guess you could download each individual message (without reading them) one at a time to your unit but for me it's easier to do a quick review of the message list (without opening any) while online to delete any spam or emails I don't want downloading and then download them all as a group with one Receive All command to be review offline.

Actually with a PC's email program you can use the Send All and Receive All command to do all uploads and downloads as one continuous series of operations.

The email on iPad works the same as outlook/OE, you have to connect and download the emails and then you can read them offline. You can even compose an email and then connect and send it.

The iPad does not hold a connection as well on a ship as a PC, its probably the biggest downfall of using the iPad on ships, but its so darn fun I hate to leave it at home!

We have openly brought on more than one bottle of wine per person when boarding at San Pedro (3 times), Vancouver, Buenos Aires and Valparaiso but never a whole case. It has been posted recently that some ports including FLL have enforced the one bottle of wine rule while others on the same cruise have brought on a full case.

so i guess it is just a crap shoot basically

so i guess it is just a crap shoot basically

The email on iPad works the same as outlook/OE, you have to connect and download the emails and then you can read them offline. You can even compose an email and then connect and send it.

It appears you are partially using your iPad's onboard email program to read your messages offline and must have your online mail service set up with an POP protocol address so all messages can be down loaded using that unit's email function. I have our yahoo accounts set up that way and I know that gmail can be set up with a POP protocol address which allows the use of an unit's onboard email program weather it is an iPad, laptop, desktop, etc.

If this is so you should also be able to type your messages as part of and completely compose your emails offline in your iPad email program and upload them to the internet thus avoiding the copying and pasting emails online procedure.

It appears you are partially using your iPad's onboard email program to read your messages offline and must have your online mail service set up with an POP protocol address so all messages can be down loaded using that unit's email function. I have our yahoo accounts set up that way and I know that gmail can be set up with a POP protocol address which allows the use of an unit's onboard email program weather it is an iPad, laptop, desktop, etc.

If this is so you should also be able to type your messages as part of and completely compose your emails offline in your iPad email program and upload them to the internet thus avoiding the copying and pasting emails online procedure.

Actually I usually do a "live" thread and I like using a word processing pgm rather than email for all but the most simple of responses, but as I told you before, iPad's email functions much like O/OE so yes I could completely compose offline and then fire up the internet to send them!

Since this is a "secrets" thread, here is one for the iPad. It seems that the metal that lines each room messes with the iPad's ability to hold a connection, composing everything offline helps, and when you must be on the internet, get close to the internet cafe for the best connection.

We just got back from the Golden to Hawaii. We asked to see the menus for the cruise and were told that they only have them for the next night. However, when we asked about a particular night (namely our anniversary), they provided the menu the next morning. So, at least on some ships (maybe longer than a week cruise?), you cannot see all the menus for the cruise in order to determine where you want to dine.

Archived