Rome National Holiday

katkell

We will be in Rome on 8 December. This is a National Holiday. Is anyone else going to be there on this day. I would be interested in what you have planned as I am finding information about whats open hard to find. I know the Pope will be at the Spanish Steps around mid morning so I assume it will be very crowded. Has anyone out there been in Rome on the same day in previous years. Really would love some feedback

December 8th is the feast of the Immaculate Conception. The Vatican Museums will be closed, but pretty much everything else will be open.

I was in Rome a few years ago on Immaculate Conception and had actually forgotten what day it was. Since we hadn't been planning to be over near the Vatican anyway, there wasn't much to indicate it was a different day until late afternoon, when we got caught up in the procession to the Colonna dell'Immacolata, which is at the southern end of Piazza di Spagna, not at the steps themselves. At the end of the parade a wreath is laid at the statue of the Virgin Mary. I suspect that this is where the Pope will be, not on the steps.

In a year when the Pope wasn't anywhere around it was a zoo, I can't even imagine how crowded it will be with him as an added attraction.

But other than that, for a tourist it would be a normal day in Rome.

December 8th is the feast of the Immaculate Conception. The Vatican Museums will be closed, but pretty much everything else will be open.

I was in Rome a few years ago on Immaculate Conception and had actually forgotten what day it was. Since we hadn't been planning to be over near the Vatican anyway, there wasn't much to indicate it was a different day until late afternoon, when we got caught up in the procession to the Colonna dell'Immacolata, which is at the southern end of Piazza di Spagna, not at the steps themselves. At the end of the parade a wreath is laid at the statue of the Virgin Mary. I suspect that this is where the Pope will be, not on the steps.

In a year when the Pope wasn't anywhere around it was a zoo, I can't even imagine how crowded it will be with him as an added attraction.

But other than that, for a tourist it would be a normal day in Rome.

We will be in Florence on a Monday that is also All Saints Day. I've heard advice ranging from "everything will be closed down" to "it will be a madhouse with locals celebrating". Do you have any experience traveling on All Saints Day in Florence? Thanks!

Your issue won't be that it's All Saints Day, the issue is that it is a Monday. Many (I'd even go so far as to say most) museums in Florence are closed on Mondays, which makes it a difficult day for tourists.

Although office workers may have the day off, life will go on. The only days when you risk finding nothing open are Christmas Day, New Year's Day, and Labor Day (May 1).

I've enjoyed several Mondays in Florence, it just takes more careful planning than other days of the week.

Archived