Which Mayan Ruins

CINDYSUE

First, thanks in advance for any shared info. I love this site and it has helped me so much on each cruise I have taken.

Now for the question. There are three or four Mayan ruin excursions I can take through RC. We will be on the Mariner next year. Which one is the best and grandest. I have been to Tulum and thought it was wonderful.

Which one, huh?????

If you're willing to travel for much of the time you're in port, then either Lamani or Xunatunich (which has grand views from the top of the temple) would be the places to visit.

If you'd like to possibly have some time to shop at the Tourism Village or even grab a drink/beer before catching th etender, then look at a tour to Altun Ha, which is much closer and has beautiful vegetation and structures. Unlike Tulum, you will be able to climb on these ruins, and you will find them very different from Tulum.

a tour to Altun Ha, which is much closer and has beautiful vegetation and structures. Unlike Tulum, you will be able to climb on these ruins, and you will find them very different from Tulum.

we did that in January GOOD tour and very accesible easy to get around...

in December we are doing TULUM...so many have said do this and we are really looking forward to it...we know its a long day, but BETTER to do now; we arent getting any younger:D

The only ruins I have been to are Xunantunich so I have nothing to compare to.

I did not even want to go see the ruins but I was out-voted, but I'm glad I was. It was a very impressive view. Interesting too.

The ride was a little long but worth it. To be honest I would do it again just to climb the ruins and see that view again.

we did Lamani, the trip just getting there was worth the cost. We took a tour bus from the port, about an hour, then boarded speed boats(twin 220hp motors) for an hour up the river.Arriving at the site was a beach area and small dock. Lunch was served very good chicken with lots to eat and ice cold drinks(it was June and extremely hot and humid). Walked into the jungle to the pyramid. Howler monkeys everywhere. A small museum on site with a narrative by the curator-who was from The Royal Ontario Museum in Toronto. it was extremely interesting. Would do it again! Then the boat ride and bus back to the port. Just as good as seeing Chichen Itza in the Yucatan. Dona

Particularly if it's offered through the cruise line, I'd pick Lamanai. You spend a fair amount of your time traveling there and back, but, as has been said, the boat ride is part of the experience. Only do this, though, if you do not want to fit anything else into your day in Belize.

When we were booked on RC's Voyager I researched and researched and was all set to do Lamanai. Then our sailing was chartered and we got booted. :( Thought we'd do Carnival Glory instead, but they don't offer Lamanai, so I went back to researching and decided Xunatunich was the next best thing. Now we might be doing NCL Spirit instead (can drive to the port instead of having to fly to FL) and they don't do Xunatunich but they DO have a Lamanai excursion. So now we're back to that! I have all my ports planned out...I just need a ship!! LOL :D

Have fun whatever you choose, and please come back and tell us what you did!

• 8 months later...

Still can't decide between Lamanai or Xunantunich. It will be one or the other. Both are all day, both include lunch, prices are $104 for L and $ 89 for X. Somebody make up my mind for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

for lamanai, you have to be able to walk about 1 1/2 miles on uneven ground. they take their time about it, but the ground can be anything from :muddy, tree limbs, stone steps, wood steps, dirt path and grassy meadown. only places, to set down, are around the lunch area and a few benches/stones around 2 of the sites.

good walking shoes (hiking boots not needed) and a couple of bottles of water, are needed.

916053180_enteringtheballcourtarea.jpg.db2d9da87a53a27edb1b0f3fc0685344.jpg

445255444_Jewellwithourtour.jpg.bca7bf9b5d63ac6ba46a4a44307e89af.jpg

IMG_1220.jpg.c68dfbf95134590e0a8862f9132d3682.jpg

Just wondering if there is a lot of walking with these tours? We would love to see some ruins, but unfortunately I can't do a lot of walking.

Altun Ha ruins are easier to get around and you can see some without alot of walking...it is the easiest of the ones i have been to which included

Lamani and Tulum

Lamanai is amazing! Think Chichen Itza in the rough. You will experience wildlife and some amazing ruins in the middle of the jungle. When we were there the lunch was pretty darn good too!

This sounds great! I'm all for as much wildlife as possible! I haven't even booked my cruise yet (same one as CindySue), but once I do, I'll be checking out the shore excursions. I will have to remember this one from all these comments. I'm liking the idea of the river boat to get there. I assume there is lots of wildlife to see during that, too? Thanks!

Archived