Sovereign Order of Malta?

daryleann

Carlmm had a mention of this site as something to see in an extended stay in Rome? Does anyone have more info? I have heard of it, but he mentions only a "keyhole view" so is it really something one can do? [and does it count as visiting the smallest kingdom in the world??;)]

Thanks for any info...

Carlmm had a mention of this site as something to see in an extended stay in Rome? Does anyone have more info? I have heard of it, but he mentions only a "keyhole view" so is it really something one can do?

Indeed there are only the view posted by canuck.qc and the outside walls to be seen.

and does it count as visiting the smallest kingdom in the world??;)

Well, no, I would not count it.

I would not suggest to go there just for this view, even though it is quite famous, but as a part of a visit of the Aventin with the important churches next to the Order' seat. Than this area makes for a nice half day away from the major tourist streams.

Thanks to all. I periodically get the email with 'unknown facts' and one is the 'smallest sovereign nation' - when I did a search one time, it gave me an address in Rome. This time, I get lots of addresses, throughout the world.

Guess it really isn't that interesting unless I am totally lost and find myself with a keyhole to look thru...

The one you are looking for, with the keyhole, is

The VILLA MALTA

GRAND PRIORY OF ROME

Piazza dei Cavalieri di Malta, 4 – 00153 Roma

Tél.: +39.06.5779193 – Fax: +39.06.5758351

E-mail: granprioratodiroma@orderofmalta.org

The PALZZO DI MALTA at Via dei Condotti 68 is where the government is located.

If you interest in the Order, you can read more about its history, structure and today's activities at http://www.orderofmalta.org/?lang=en .

If you are really interested in the Order and in visiting it in Rome, you can request an inside visit of the palace in advance in writing. At least in the past such request was occasionaly granted.

If you've gone to all the so called touristy sites (which I've done), read up on this site..the knights Templar etc and take a walk up and visit.....I am one of the few in my 'well traveled' group who has seen thru the keyhole and visited the surrounding site. Off the beaten path...go for it.

Archived