Sorry to say it--tipping (or not) question

tiderfan

As mentioned before it never ceases to amaze the number of rude and blatantly snide comments people make towards someone they dont even know based on a guideline for tipping other complete strangers. :eek: Name calling and snide suggestive ideas on cleaning their own room are uncalled for. You should be ashamed. I fail to understand this 'Holier Than Thou' attitude people get when sticking up for cruise ship staff they dont know, against cruisers whose situation you are unaware of, and flame people because they maybe didnt understand or were unaware of a policy on tipping. Realistic suggestions or comments would probably be more appreciated than rediculous sarcasm. For some, saving up for a cruise can take years. For me it has taken five years. Even something like re-instituting the Fuel Surcharge again can throw my budget into turmoil. What would happen if the same happen to her, if she was on a strict budget, didnt have bottomless pockets, and got hit with a huge unexpected additional charge like that? As I mentioned before tipping is a reward, not a right of passage simply because they showed up for work. Attitude in the steward and server is everything, simply providing their service is not justification for a reward in itself. It is their 'job'.

I remember seeing a post on another board where kids that were staying in a separate room were worried about tipping for room service, that if they ordered pizza did they have to tip. Werent aware of the tipping policy. Could they leave little gifts in place of money? You should have seen the way those kids were flamed and the onslaught of rediculous comments, telling the kids to 'get a job!', not to use room service if they cant tip for it, flaming the parents.

Rediculous comments suggesting people maybe inclined to not tip because the work is not appreciated is assuming a lot. I am sure if she has four kids she is fully aware of what it takes to clean up after them. Maybe also she has four kids, has struggled to save for this trip for years, and needs a vacation cruise just as bad as the next person. It is all relative to that persons scenario, there is no 'one size fits all' explanation.

If the OP sees that maybe this might evolve into an unexpected 'situation' for his sister then maybe he can provide a backup plan or fallback plan. Maybe if she is on a budget and cant afford tipping everyone he can provide an Onboard Credit towards her account that might help out. I am sure the OBC would be a nice jesture?

I knew to wear my flameproof clothing. It sounds like it will be pretty easy.

Her argument is (not mine, hers) the attendant cleans the room the same for one or five. And yes, it is all her family.

No flames here.....some people (like your sister) simply need to be educated that tips are the way many cruise lines (including Carnival) pay their employees. When people do not tip, these hard working individuals do not get a paycheck.

You need to point out that those 2 extra people will be using towels which will have to be washed and folded. They will be sleeping in beds that will have to be made in the morning and turned down at night. They will be generating trash that will have to be emptied. And yes, those 2 extra people will make additional mess in the cabin that the stewart will have to deal with.

With all the cruises you have been on, I am a little surprised that she did not know about the tips.

Please educate her so that she does not stiff these people.

I've looked everywhere for the answer. Can one go to the purser's desk at the beginning of the cruise, and decrease the tipping amount without any questions asked? This is not for me.

I think you cant go until at least after dinner to remove tips. Some ladies were in line and I overheard the purser's desk saying they needed to come back after dinner to remove tips.

They probably cant remove the tips until they post. Yes, they will ask her why. She can just tell them she wasnt prepared to tip for everyone in the cabin, seems like too much. (the waiters tips are included in the $10 per day though)

It sounds as if she wants to remove tips because she wasn't aware she had to tip.

I wanted to comment to this specifically because on the Elation last week, I overheard a very nice young couple asking what this "service gratuity" charge was on their Sail and Sign card.

They were first time cruisers....had used a TA and the TA had not told them about this charge.

:confused:

It always amazes me how many choose not actually answer the question asked.

Ain't it the truth. So many posters feel the need to go on and on about how wonderful they are, ridicule the OP, and not even answer the question.

Fortunately after much ridicule you were able to find out that, YES... your sister can remove tips. In fairness to the room steward, perhaps your sister should do it as early as possible. Not sure if the room steward will be told about the deduction in tips, but if so, they could adjust their service accordingly.

Sorry, but as a business owner, I wouldn't want a customer who thinks like you or the OP's friend.

Imangine being the catalyst be being the reason for the person, who is put there to serve YOU, quits because he's had enough, and you've stiffed him NOT for his performance, but because YOU can't afford it, or are trying to economize.

Stick to self serve vacations.

I've looked everywhere for the answer. Can one go to the purser's desk at the beginning of the cruise, and decrease the tipping amount without any questions asked? This is not for me.

My sister will have 5 in her cabin for her very first cruise. She had no idea about tipping on a cruise. She only wants to tip for 2-3 people in the cabin. When should she do this and will it be easy and hassle free?

After all my cruises, I've never dealt with this subject.

Thanks for your input!

She sure can. She can adjust up, down or remove all. Its her choice, tipping amount is only recommended. It is not mandatory.

Archived