Any opinions of Charlie Car Rental - San Juan, PR?

dcward89

Has anyone here ever rented a car with Charlie Car Rental in San Juan? If so, how was the experience? I made the reservation but I feel hesitant because it's not one of the nationally known car rental agencies. It's only for 1 night and not very expensive but I thought I'd see what the CC'ers have to say about them!

We used them in 2009 and they were fine,with one small exception. At the time, they indicated that once you dropped off the car, they provided you with free transportation to the port. We dropped off the car and found out that the transport "guy" (as in there's only 1 guy) had just gone on his lunch break and wouldn't be back for an hour. We ended up having to flag down a taxi (took about 15 mins) and paying the cab fare (about $25).

• 4 years later...

For the exact same price you can go to Enterprise or Hertz. They state on their website 5 min. from Cruise Ship Dock more like 15. We called when we got off the ship as they told us when we made the reservations. After waiting 20 min. a shuttle pulled up and was full of people already, the driver told us he'd be back in 5 min. 30 min. later he arrived. Once we got to the store front and waiting in line for another 30 min. we were told that they didn't have our car available (I made the reservations 3 weeks prior) and they upgraded us to a minivan for free. At this point we had been off the cruise ship for 2 hours and didn't want to wait any longer. When we finally got the the mini van it obviously had been used as one of their shuttles and was in really poor condition and had signs of being in an accident with dents and paint marks all along the side. This was the worst experience we've ever had renting a car. Customer service was the worst, they could care less about keeping you waiting or giving you a crappy vehicle. Do yourself a favor pay the taxi fare and go to another agency it's not worth the free shuttle to go here!!!!

Edited by jorroak

I just made a reservation for this weekend strictly for the shuttle. Mixed reviews on this place - bad cars, poor shuttle, long waits...

They advertise that they will match competitors rates during this time of year.

I filed a legitimate request and the reply was "due to being busy now we will not honor this request". = False advertising

Doesn't make me really excited about renting a "charliecar".

My DD and I used Charlie in Isla Verde for a week in January. We had no problems at all. The service was good, the car was very nice. When we dropped the car off on our last day, we took the shuttle to our hotel room. I would reccomend them.