Just off the valor - 8/15 to 8/22

LynneL

Our Valor Cruise - Departed 8/15/10 from Port of Miami

Background - 12 traveling in our group, which included my DH & I - 55 yrs. old, two of my kids, son 20 yrs. & daughter almost 23, four of my daughter’s friends all around 22-23 yrs. old, our friends who are in their mid-50s and their son & his g/f (age 22 & 21). I have been on almost 30 cruises over the years, with this being #16 for me on Carnival. Have cruised on RCI, NCL, Princess & a variety of other lines in the past.

Prior to our cruise we stayed at LaQuinta East - Miami Airport. The AAA rate was $79.00 a night for up to 4 people in the room. This was your basic chain hotel. However, we felt it well worth the money as it was very clean (constantly saw staff washing floors, touching up paint in hallways, etc.), they provided pick up service from the airport to the hotel at no cost, and also provided van service from the hotel to the pier. You must sign up upon arrival. Front desk staff could not have been nicer trying to get us the earliest shuttle that would accommodate all 12 of us at once. We were given a 10:45 shuttle meeting time - departure at 11:00 (earliest was 9:45), which was perfect. Also included was a very nice breakfast, which included cereal, make your own Belgium waffles, hard boiled eggs, bagels, juice, coffee, etc. For the value of the transfers & the breaksfast, I felt as if we stayed for free. Choices for dinner in the area limited. We ate at a Bennigan’s that was located in an adjacent parking lot. Food was decent, reasonable, but restaurant a bit tired looking. Staff was accommodating.

Arrival at the ship:

The van dropped us off right in front of pier check-in & I was a bit sad to see that some others from the van got out, watched the driver haul out their heavy luggage & offered him no tip. We tipped him decently, but in proportion to what I was paying for a week’s vacation no big deal. The driver thanked my husband & I profusely and was shaking hands with us wishing us a wonderful trip. I hope he was just an exceptionally polite guy & this wasn’t such a rare occurrence.

We used VIP check-in for our cabin & my children’s cabins. Two of the kids with us had to go to the regular line, as well as the other family since they weren‘t Platinum cruisers. Our check-in went unbelievably fast. The regular check-in didn’t seem as organized, though we were told there was a self-check where you scanned your document & then waited on a shorter line. They didn't know about that until later. I saw a few employees standing in front of terminals, yet not calling any customers. I don't think they were slacking off, just not assigned to the check-in terminal since at no point did they ever call anyone. But why have people there if not helping the line. If you want to use more than one credit card tied to a cabin you must get on another line to do so or it was suggested they wait until the next day and go to the purser’s desk…”you will be given a $50. Credit line for the first day so no rush….” This was not the case. The kids without the card/cash tied in had their cards denied. We went to the desk that day rather than wait until the next day as instructed or else they couldn't buy any drinks.

The Ship:

I thought the décor was very nice, giving an Americana feel (stars & stripes in the main atrium), sports bar based on Yankee Stadium which our family loved, etc. The other couple & we had very nice balcony cabins - Deck 6 almost all the way in the back. We asked that the partition between them be opened and they did so. The kids had inside cabins across from us. This ship has the design where you must go up to deck 5, walk towards mid-ship & then go down to avoid the dining rooms. A bit pesky. There was no elevator all the way in the aft area like we had on the Pride that made it so easy to get from aft rooms up to higher decks. We had ordered bottles of liquor for our cabins from the Bon Voyage department and it was worth not having to do the whole smuggling routine, carrying them on the plane & maybe having luggage overweight, etc. The bottles were waiting in our cabins when we arrived.

I’ve heard a lot about the “pink dining room.” Yes, there was pinkish/coral color on the walls but I was expecting neon pink. Carpet & chairs were in subdued colors. That really isn’t a big issue for me anyway. I’m too busy enjoying my dining companions’ company & my food. We did have a table for 12, which was nice.

If there were deck chair hogs I didn’t see them on this cruise. So many chairs empty, never a problem getting one. Late a.m. the ones by the pool busy but I’d pass there around 8:30 a.m. or so and a rare item left on a chair to hold it. I don’t sit there since it isn’t important to me to be on the lower pool level so I leave the chairs for those who really want that location. The adult only pool had only adults in it each time I was there.

Traveling with Kids (you are whether they’re yours or not - lol):

It was announced that there was 1,700 children on board. I’m guessing a “child” is someone in the infant - 17 yr. old range. I was shocked because I hardly saw any except the little ones who were in cabins near ours and they were very sweet. My kids attributed this to Camp Carnival or “Carnival Youth Experience” as it is called in the “FunTimes” being considered a bit more cool these days. They had Water slide races for the 12-14 aged group, Hip Hop Dance Class for ages 15-17, Club O in which I saw a number of teens hanging out playing a video system, etc. Never came upon the much discussed “pushing all the elevator buttons” complaints or kids knocking on doors late or anything like that.

Food:

In my opinion, the food was very good (though baked potatoes are consistently undercooked). For early in day meals, I only ate in the dining room once for breakfast and once for lunch and both times very nice options available. Room service was nice on our balcony for breakfast and the buffets fine. They still offered the lobster tail & shrimp combo for Elegant Night and after my cruise in May on NCL where the tail was the size of a prawn (no exaggeration), this was a fine sized tail. Not like the Steak House offering but you’re not paying additional and can ask for another. BTW - we did not try the steak house. Did so on our last cruise and my husband and the other couple didn’t feel it was worth the add’l fees.

Entertainment:

A nice new addition is the Punchliners Comedy Club. One of the rear lounges had 2 comedians that would alternate doing early shows so each seating could see someone then adult comedy at night. Midway thru the cruise 2 different comedians came on the ship. Most were pretty funny. This is very popular so get there a little early to get a seat. They had musical shows such as “Far From Over” going thru music from generally the 80s - 90s I’d say, “More Than Magic” by Rand Woodbury that was decent (though either I saw this guy already or more than 1 person doing the little pull at your heartstrings attempt for the finale), “Motown & More” which featured an excellent singer named Marcus Anthony.

Disembarking:

Now the bummer….since all our cabins didn’t have VIP tags we waited, of course, until the others in our party were called so it was crowded as we went to get our luggage. I have never seen a more disorganized terminal as Miami for Customs. Approx. 10 agents, one huge line filling into rows for these agents from one direction & another huge line also jockeying for spots from the other directions. No one to direct people - if you had more aggressive movers (which the other line did), they filled the agents’ rows time & time again. We stood behind people who had their little ones sitting on their luggage & just didn’t move at all. In short…one & a half hours waiting on the custom’s line! We had to send our cab away and ask for them to return later so we wouldn’t be changed a waiting fee.

We took a cab to Ft. Lauderdale for our Delta flight home…. The flight from hell!!! Bad weather, poor communication between ground staff & flight crew…from the time we got on the plane to the time we stepped off….9 hours for what should have been a 2 ¼ hr. flight! Airlines have no control over weather but they do have control over how they keep people informed and have someone to direct people once landing, especially when they keep changing terminal info, where to pick up luggage, etc. Put a bit of a damper on the ending of our vacation.

Looking forward to more so I can 'relive' my January Valor cruise!

There was no elevator all the way in the aft area like we had on the Pride that made it so easy to get from aft rooms up to higher decks.
...and not sure about why you didn't find the aft set of elevators? (there are 3 sets on the ship - front/atrium, middle and aft) They go from deck 1 all the way up to the very important LIDO DECK! :D:D

Our Valor Cruise - Departed 8/15/10 from Port of Miami

If you want to use more than one credit card tied to a cabin you must get on another line to do so or it was suggested they wait until the next day and go to the purser’s desk.

Did you fill out the fun pass ahead of time with each person in the cabin giving a different credit card? We will have eight people in four cabins all using their own credit card and we filled out the fun pass accordingly. Do we STILL have to go in a separate line?

The Ship:

I thought the décor was very nice, giving an Americana feel (stars & stripes in the main atrium), sports bar based on Yankee Stadium which our family loved, etc. The other couple & we had very nice balcony cabins - Deck 6 almost all the way in the back. We asked that the partition between them be opened and they did so. The kids had inside cabins across from us. This ship has the design where you must go up to deck 5, walk towards mid-ship & then go down to avoid the dining rooms. A bit pesky. There was no elevator all the way in the aft area like we had on the Pride that made it so easy to get from aft rooms up to higher decks. We had ordered bottles of liquor for our cabins from the Bon Voyage department and it was worth not having to do the whole smuggling routine, carrying them on the plane & maybe having luggage overweight, etc. The bottles were waiting in our cabins when we arrived.

I’ve heard a lot about the “pink dining room.” Yes, there was pinkish/coral color on the walls but I was expecting neon pink. Carpet & chairs were in subdued colors. That really isn’t a big issue for me anyway. I’m too busy enjoying my dining companions’ company & my food. We did have a table for 12, which was nice.

If there were deck chair hogs I didn’t see them on this cruise. So many chairs empty, never a problem getting one. Late a.m. the ones by the pool busy but I’d pass there around 8:30 a.m. or so and a rare item left on a chair to hold it. I don’t sit there since it isn’t important to me to be on the lower pool level so I leave the chairs for those who really want that location. The adult only pool had only adults in it each time I was there.

It was announced that there was 1,700 children on board. I’m guessing a “child” is someone in the infant - 17 yr. old range. I was shocked because I hardly saw any except the little ones who were in cabins near ours and they were very sweet. My kids attributed this to Camp Carnival or “Carnival Youth Experience” as it is called in the “FunTimes” being considered a bit more cool these days. They had Water slide races for the 12-14 aged group, Hip Hop Dance Class for ages 15-17, Club O in which I saw a number of teens hanging out playing a video system, etc. Never came upon the much discussed “pushing all the elevator buttons” complaints or kids knocking on doors late or anything like that.

Food:

In my opinion, the food was very good (though baked potatoes are consistently undercooked). For early in day meals, I only ate in the dining room once for breakfast and once for lunch and both times very nice options available. Room service was nice on our balcony for breakfast and the buffets fine. They still offered the lobster tail & shrimp combo for Elegant Night and after my cruise in May on NCL where the tail was the size of a prawn (no exaggeration), this was a fine sized tail. Not like the Steak House offering but you’re not paying additional and can ask for another. BTW - we did not try the steak house. Did so on our last cruise and my husband and the other couple didn’t feel it was worth the add’l fees.

Entertainment:

A nice new addition is the Punchliners Comedy Club. One of the rear lounges had 2 comedians that would alternate doing early shows so each seating could see someone then adult comedy at night. Midway thru the cruise 2 different comedians came on the ship. Most were pretty funny. This is very popular so get there a little early to get a seat. They had musical shows such as “Far From Over” going thru music from generally the 80s - 90s I’d say, “More Than Magic” by Rand Woodbury that was decent (though either I saw this guy already or more than 1 person doing the little pull at your heartstrings attempt for the finale), “Motown & More” which featured an excellent singer named Marcus Anthony.

Disembarking:

Now the bummer….since all our cabins didn’t have VIP tags we waited, of course, until the others in our party were called so it was crowded as we went to get our luggage. I have never seen a more disorganized terminal as Miami for Customs. Approx. 10 agents, one huge line filling into rows for these agents from one direction & another huge line also jockeying for spots from the other directions. No one to direct people - if you had more aggressive movers (which the other line did), they filled the agents’ rows time & time again. We stood behind people who had their little ones sitting on their luggage & just didn’t move at all. In short…one & a half hours waiting on the custom’s line! We had to send our cab away and ask for them to return later so we wouldn’t be changed a waiting fee.

We took a cab to Ft. Lauderdale for our Delta flight home…. The flight from hell!!! Bad weather, poor communication between ground staff & flight crew…from the time we got on the plane to the time we stepped off….9 hours for what should have been a 2 ¼ hr. flight! Airlines have no control over weather but they do have control over how they keep people informed and have someone to direct people once landing, especially when they keep changing terminal info, where to pick up luggage, etc. Put a bit of a damper on the ending of our vacation.

That is so intresting about marcus Anonthy. He was on our cruise as well. He was on the Legend on Tuesday night 8-17-2010. What night was he on yours?

The Ship:

Food:

Entertainment:

Disembarking:

Thanks for the review...looking forward to our cruise on her in a couple of weeks! (Flying always seems to take the joy out of vacations!)

thanks so much for your review....it was helpful esp since we are also staying at LaQuinta East - Miami Airport pre-cruise.....I got our rooms on cc points with 4 to a room so glad to hear it will serve our basic needs well enough....after reading your take on the value, I'm appreciating our "free" rooms more than ever now :D.....I'll go cancel our other "pay for" room I had waiting in case I later saw LaQuinta East wasn't a good idea......

enjoyed your Valor review.....we're there in November....glad you had a good vacation and sorry about the customs and flight home downer.....

That is so intresting about marcus Anonthy. He was on our cruise as well. He was on the Legend on Tuesday night 8-17-2010. What night was he on yours?

It was Friday, Aug. 20th

do you mind me asking what it cost to get to the airport?

We had booked in advance on line with QualityLimoService. For a party of 12 they only charged $9 pp plus whatever you give as a gratuity. The rate will be different for a smaller number of people, but we had a great experience with them. They called us the morning we docked to confirm pickup, we called to let them know when we got our luggage, and the driver & the office kept in touch with us by cell phone as we let them know about the Customs processing problems (they said not uncommon at Port of Miami).

Did you fill out the fun pass ahead of time with each person in the cabin giving a different credit card? We will have eight people in four cabins all using their own credit card and we filled out the fun pass accordingly. Do we STILL have to go in a separate line?

Everyone had filled out their fun pass. However, they had difficulty adding more than 1 credit card to the cabin when doing the fun pass on-line. It seemed like once you entered one credit card # you were giving the others in the cabin the access to having that credit card tied to the account and therefore at the pier were told to that to add another card # on the to cabin you had to wait on the line. In the past the check-in agent did that when giving your room key.

Looking forward to more so I can 'relive' my January Valor cruise!

...and not sure about why you didn't find the aft set of elevators? (there are 3 sets on the ship - front/atrium, middle and aft) They go from deck 1 all the way up to the very important LIDO DECK! :D:D

Used all three sets. It just always seemed like due to whatever we were doing we were taking probably the front/atrium elevators & having to walk a mile to our room. You are right though, I do recall using the aft elevator when at the buffet area. I looked back over the deck plans to both the Pride & the Valor - had cabins in almost the exact area on both yet the Valor I always felt like the elevator we took was far from our cabin. On the Pride using the atrium elevator placed you mid-ship; possibly that was difference.

thanks so much for your review....it was helpful esp since we are also staying at LaQuinta East - Miami Airport pre-cruise.....I got our rooms on cc points with 4 to a room so glad to hear it will serve our basic needs well enough....after reading your take on the value, I'm appreciating our "free" rooms more than ever now :D.....I'll go cancel our other "pay for" room I had waiting in case I later saw LaQuinta East wasn't a good idea......

enjoyed your Valor review.....we're there in November....glad you had a good vacation and sorry about the customs and flight home downer.....

Not sure if you are people who like to stop at a liquor store prior to your cruise for whatever reason....there is one - turned out to be more of a bar/restaurant/liquor store - that I believe Google clocked at 8/10 of a mile. We walked there (you pass a Burger King & some sort of chicken fast food place along the way if you're interested in any fast food). Just know you will have to cross a very major, wide, intersection. I would never have done this with young kids. The neighborhood was fine - mostly businesses on this busy road.

When we got there we did not see wine for sale - they had beer, not sure of price - and we asked how much they charged for a 1 ltr. bottle of Absolut vodka and it was $32. plus tax, so the $40. plus tax we paid thru bon voyage wasn't horrible & no risk of it being confiscated. Of course a lot more than we would have paid at our local liquor store & a bust when you know the ship is selling it on the first night sailing 4/$44.99 but you wouldn't be able to crack open those bottles anyway.

yep, we can use this info :)....we're about 20 people of varying ages and to be sure obtaining alcoholic beverages to take on the ship will be among our considerations....and I live a block from a major multi-laned freeway so you are cluing me in well.....

we usually buy alcohol when we get to our pre-cruise spot and take on board....these options and visuals you give are great....thanks a bunch

yep, we can use this info :)....we're about 20 people of varying ages and to be sure obtaining alcoholic beverages to take on the ship will be among our considerations....and I live a block from a major multi-laned freeway so you are cluing me in well.....

we usually buy alcohol when we get to our pre-cruise spot and take on board....these options and visuals you give are great....thanks a bunch

If you are with a group who likes to enjoy a few cocktails, in Cozumel we went to Mr. Sancho's. It was $50. a person and you got to order anything you wanted off the menu (exception lobster) and whatever you wanted to drink from the bar. Also included use of the pool, snorkel equip. and kyacks. I am not a big drinker (plus someone had to be clear headed to be sure we kept on eye on time to get back to the ship), but felt like I got my money's worth even just having my 3 frozen Mango Daiquiri's (really good & refreshing), a few sodas, a couple of bottled waters, which were also included, plus food. My kids and their friends definately felt like they got value for their buck.

LynneL, glad you had a good cruise, despite your return flight problems.

Next time you are in Miami and staying at the La Quinta East, try the Pollo Tropical next door. It's a fast food place, cuban/carribbean food and far far better than anything at Bennigans. Nice tipping story. Hope those non-tippers in the van weren't part of your party.

3 frozen Mango Daiquiri's
LOLOL ok I stopped reading for a bit when I got to this just to hmmmm in my imagination

I'm a cuttin' and pastin' this info away in my tip document.....most in our friends and family group are cruise virgins and have been excited for months :D

thanks for the Pollo Tropical tip crewsweeper...sounds good....we're all converging in Miami from planes, trains and automobiles so somewhere to eat that close will fit our variety of timings and travel-weariness ;)

LynneL, glad you had a good cruise, despite your return flight problems.

Next time you are in Miami and staying at the La Quinta East, try the Pollo Tropical next door. It's a fast food place, cuban/carribbean food and far far better than anything at Bennigans. Nice tipping story. Hope those non-tippers in the van weren't part of your party.

I don't allow non-tipping when anyone is with me - lol....I took it upon myself to hand out a tip that would cover for all in our group & then said, "you owe me such & such per person...." I kid you not, especially since I was traveling with a number of young adults in their early 20s who may not think of that. No...the non-tippers were adults who should have know better.

Pollo Tropical was the chicken place I was referring to on our walk to the liquor store. Unless there was more than one at one time though, it wasn't next door to La Quinta (there was a closed up restaurant maybe it was at one time). To get to Pollo Tropical you will have to walk about 1/2 mile or less. Leave LaQuinta's lot & turn right heading up to the traffic light. Go left at the traffic light (this is where things get a little scarey with traffic). You are basically walking underneath the highway overpass & then turn left again & get yourself over to the side on the street with the sidewalks. You'll see Pollo right near the Burger King.

LOLOL ok I stopped reading for a bit when I got to this just to hmmmm in my imagination

I'm a cuttin' and pastin' this info away in my tip document.....most in our friends and family group are cruise virgins and have been excited for months :D

thanks for the Pollo Tropical tip crewsweeper...sounds good....we're all converging in Miami from planes, trains and automobiles so somewhere to eat that close will fit our variety of timings and travel-weariness ;)

Tell them to leave the salt & the red flakes (they say it's salt but I never heard of red salt) off the rim of your mango daiquiri. Much better without it...well at least we all thought so. Wow, I'm sure missing those babies!

Archived