Best Authentic Mexican food In Coz?

TeeBuccs

Can anyone give me suggestions for where to enjoy a great snack when in port. I know this is an unusual question seeing that we are coming from a ship which provides food - but..

Looking for great guacamole, cerviche and margaritas -- perferrably within walking distance of the ships as we have some shopping to do.

Thanks for suggestions!

Can anyone give me suggestions for where to enjoy a great snack when in port. I know this is an unusual question seeing that we are coming from a ship which provides food - but..

Looking for great guacamole, cerviche and margaritas -- perferrably within walking distance of the ships as we have some shopping to do.

Thanks for suggestions!

Which ship are you on? And do you know which pier you'll be at? Are you planning on shopping at the pier? Or in San Miguel? If up in San Miguel, there'll be plenty of good places to try. There are threads on local restaurants with good recs on these boards. If your'e docking at Punta Langosta, you are downtown already and no need to find a place on the pier because food and drinks are better a couple of blocks away. If you're at the International Pier, I think there's only a Senior Frogs Jr. there. Overpriced drinks and not that great of food, IMO. At Puerto Maya, where Carnival ships dock, Panchos has a restaurant there, very strong margaritias. They're known locally for their chili rellenos. Not sure if the branch carries them. There's also a 3Amigos and Fat Tuesdays, but these last two are primarily bars.

Best ceviche is on the East side at either Rastas, Playa Bonita or Mezcalitos. None are close by for your plans. If you're downtown, try Camilos, just north of the plaza on Avenida 5. There's also a great little taco stand on Calle 2 between avenida 5 and 10 (El Sitos?) but they close early after lunch time.

but there's a small restaurant on the corner behind the old main square where we had the best guacamole and salsa and great margaritas and it was very reasonable. There were lots of shops around the corner and a big silver shop a block below .

but there's a small restaurant on the corner behind the old main square where we had the best guacamole and salsa and great margaritas and it was very reasonable. There were lots of shops around the corner and a big silver shop a block below .

Sounds like Casa Denis. I love to hit this port because I love to eat and there are way too many good places on Coz.

Click on these: www.cozumelmycozumel.com and www.cozumelinsider for more info.

I like to head over to the market area "El Marcado" and check out the “Loncherias”. Keep an eye out for hand written signs saying "la comida corrida". It is the daily special or loosely "food on the run". If you want real local Mexican food that is the way to go. No “TexMex” served here. It is best to have pesos when eating at these places. They will take $$ if they have to but do prefer pesos. For $5 or less you will have a meal to remember.

Any good eating spots at the International Pier? Also, is there a place to exchange dollars for pesos on that pier?

Thank you.

I can't speak for what there. I think there's a junior Senor Frogs, but it'll be over priced and not tha tgood of food.

As far as getting pesos, try the guest services (pursers) desk on the ship. But you really don't need them for most shopping. Just beaware that most shops and restaurants will use a 10 pesos to a $1 conversion rate. I think the current offical rate is 13 pesos to a $1 (2.3 cents difference).

I like to head over to the market area "El Marcado" and check out the “Loncherias”. Keep an eye out for hand written signs saying "la comida corrida". It is the daily special or loosely "food on the run". If you want real local Mexican food that is the way to go. No “TexMex” served here. It is best to have pesos when eating at these places. They will take $$ if they have to but do prefer pesos. For $5 or less you will have a meal to remember.

Where is this area? Thanks!

Any good eating spots at the International Pier? Also, is there a place to exchange dollars for pesos on that pier?

Thank you.

There is an ATM just south of the International Pier (north of the Puerta Maya Pier) at the PEMEX station (gas station) to the right side of the entrance. It is across the street from the piers. We got a very good exchange rate and low fees this past January.

I was wondering about this too (authentic mex), certainly didnt want to eat at a chain place....our ship is Carnival Destiny, does anyone know where she docks? thanks.

Destiny usually will dock in Puerto Maya unless there are other Carnival ships in that day, then she'll dock in Punta Langosta. I fyou want to stay on the pier in Puerto Maya, there's Panchos Backyard, sorta better class Americanized Mexican food but good chili rellenos and strong margaritas. If you're at Punta Langosta, you're right downtown and just look up all the threads here on good places to eat, La Choza, la Mission, Casa Denis,Especias, Camillos, too name a few.

Where is this area? Thanks!

It is an short walk straight inland from the main square. Sorry, I don't know the street names. The locals can point you in the right direction from the square. You can also take a taxi from the docks. Tell the driver to take you to "El Marcado". Once you find it the first time it is an easy walk to and from.

It only gets weaker if you get stuck with some. Use a credit card and you will get the bank conversion rate which is better than what the stores will give you for US$. I only use cash for taxis and small local shops. Most stores take credit cards.And I don't convert to pesos. Even the Mexicans prefer US$ to pesos.

How do you know which pier you will be in at this port? I am looking to take my mother (surprise Christmas present) on a girl's only trip in January - we will sail the Inspiration. Trying to relate to previous posts regarding food and drink based upon where we will dock/tender.

Thanks!

How do you know which pier you will be in at this port? I am looking to take my mother (surprise Christmas present) on a girl's only trip in January - we will sail the Inspiration. Trying to relate to previous posts regarding food and drink based upon where we will dock/tender.

Thanks!

Carnival Inspiration docks at Puerto Maya pier. However, if by chance or schedule changes, there are more than 2 Carnival ships in port that day and the Inspiration is the last ship to arrive, it may be docked at Punta Langosta downtown.

• 1 month later...
We'll stop in Cozumel on Voyager in 1/2011. Any idea where the ship docks? Any food safety tips or concerns eating in Cozumel? Last thing we want to do is get a tummy bug eating off the ship.

We're also on Voyager in January and from what I can see, the ship will be docking at the International Pier which is about a 7 minute taxi ride into town.

Last time we were in Cozumel, we had lunch at Paradise Beach and it was all good ;) ... no problems with our stomach afterwards. :)

Enjoy your cruise!

We'll stop in Cozumel on Voyager in 1/2011. Any idea where the ship docks? Any food safety tips or concerns eating in Cozumel? Last thing we want to do is get a tummy bug eating off the ship.

I live and work in downtown Cozumel, you will most likely be docked at the International Pier as most RCCl ships dock there. The taxi to downtown is just $7.00 one way. Panchos Backyard downtown is delicious authentic Mexican food, very popular with cruisers visiting Cozumel!

I live and work in downtown Cozumel, you will most likely be docked at the International Pier as most RCCl ships dock there. The taxi to downtown is just $7.00 one way. Panchos Backyard downtown is delicious authentic Mexican food, very popular with cruisers visiting Cozumel!

1. How is the restaurant La Choza compared to Panchos Backyard?

2. Several years ago, I read about a store where a man actually paints pictures on bird feathers. Do you have any ideas if this still exists and where it might be?

Thank you for any help!

1. How is the restaurant La Choza compared to Panchos Backyard?

2. Several years ago, I read about a store where a man actually paints pictures on bird feathers. Do you have any ideas if this still exists and where it might be?

Thank you for any help!

1. Kimberly will probably tell you it's better at Panchos. Panchos has more Am-Mex style food familiar to cruisers. La Choza has dishes that are more Yucatan oriented. But why don't you give both a try...Get the rellenos at Panchos (best thing on the menu, and yummy too) and then go to La Choza for the frozen avocado pie (creamy,dense with a hint of mint and cinnamon!).

Archived