Royal Caribbean insurance vs. Travelex

hartskys

We are getting ready to purchase trip insurance for our Oasis cruise in December. We booked back in October 2009 so the pre-existing waiver does not apply to us. I noticed Royal Caribbean has a clause in it that for any reason you cancel they will give you credit for 75% of your cruise price up to 1 year to use. We purchased our airfare separate, could someone give me your opinion which one would be the best? We actually have 4 cabins with a couple in each that are going. Ages 18 to 51. Thanks!

Do you need any pre-ex's waived? If so, take the Cancel for Any Reason coverage from RCI or buy insurance that will allow a pre-ex waiver up until Final Payment. (CSA is one.)

Obviously, RCI insurance won't cover airfare, 3rd party will. Whether or not this is important to you I supposed depends on the cost of your airfare.

SirWired

It is hard to give you advice as each persons situation is different.

I would line up each policy and compare the cost and the benefits. I think you know that there is more than one Travelex policy to choose from.

Again, I would compare each of them.

As sirwired mentioned if the airfare is important to you and you booked that independently then that is another consideration.

We have been very pleased with Travelex in terms of how quickly they processed those claims we have put though to them and we have found their policies to meet our needs quite well.

Keith

Just briefly checked RCCL's Cruise Care Insurance and they do cover independently booked air but it is according to a schedule. Not sure what that means but with Celebrity's Cruise Care, they cover the independently booked air, nothing mentioned of a schedule:)

Obviously, RCI insurance won't cover airfare, 3rd party will.

From the RCI Cruise Care Description of Coverage:

"CRUISECARE TRAVEL INSURANCE PROGRAM

PROVIDED BY STONEBRIDGE CASUALTY INSURANCE COMPANY

Policy Number(s): MZ0911036H0000A

DESCRIPTION OF COVERAGES Maximum Benefit Amount

PART A. TRAVEL ARRANGEMENT PROTECTION

Trip Cancellation for Independently Booked Air....................................Up To Total Original Airfare Cost

Trip Interruption for Independently Booked Air........................Up To 150% of Total Original Airfare Cost"

If I'm reading RC insurance correctly then they will cover our airfare that we purchased on our own, correct? So if our flight is cancelled due to airline, weather, etc and we miss the cruise would that be covered along with the cruise? Wow, I have been reading different plans for 3 days now and the more I read the more confused I get. I do like that Travelex is primary for medical though.

I would find out who their underwriter is and contact them but if you have purchased the air on your own I don't see how you would be covered.

I like to have a carrier that is the primary insurer. Some don't think it's important but honestly I find it easier to submit the claim once and not multiple times.

Keith

I would find out who their underwriter is and contact them but if you have purchased the air on your own I don't see how you would be covered.

I like to have a carrier that is the primary insurer. Some don't think it's important but honestly I find it easier to submit the claim once and not multiple times.

Keith

I agree about the primary insurance. I like the idea if you cancel for any reason other then the covered items RC will credit up to 75% of your cruise cost but I can't think of any reason outside of the covered ones that we would cancel for so I think I'm leaning for Travelex.

I have used Travelex this time, because I did not book directly through RC, I did some comparisons with a bunch of others, and they all are slightly different, and not having slept at Holiday inn express, or am a insurance agent, I tried to look and understand it. The one thing that I was worried about, was, medical coverage and natural events changing my plans. Travelex seemed, to be what I need. I also talked to my TA whose company does not sell travel insurance plans and she told me what amounts of coverage I might need at my age. Medical evacuation was the big thing, and other stuff medical as well.

I was told by someone a Cruise Rep or a TA some where, that on most ever long cruises someone will die, I guess that might be true, when you look at the over all age of cruisers.

Archived