Barcelona New Year's Day

luvtravelbug

DH and I will be arriving in Barcelona New Year's Day morning. On our roll call, someone mentioned that public transit will not be operating because of the holiday. I went on TMB's (operator's) website and I found holiday operating hours, not dates of closure. Does anyone know if Barcelona's public transit shuts down on holidays? If so I assume taxis are available? Thanks in advance for the info.

Lynn

We arrived in Barcelona on 1/1 this year (great flight - only half full!). Public transport was on a Sunday/holiday schedule, which we didn't even notice. Taxis were plentiful (no wait at the airport). The only thing we noticed was that it took awhile to get our luggage when we landed in the morning - the baggage handlers were moving slowly due to New Year's Eve the night before. Many places were closed, including the Hop On/Hop Off bus, but we had a great time wandering. The HO/HO bus being closed worked in our favor because I had planned to use it on 1/2, but after seeing how easy Barcelona is to navigate, we saved a lot of money doing it on our own.

Best,

Mia

DH and I will be arriving in Barcelona New Year's Day morning. On our roll call, someone mentioned that public transit will not be operating because of the holiday. I went on TMB's (operator's) website and I found holiday operating hours, not dates of closure. Does anyone know if Barcelona's public transit shuts down on holidays? If so I assume taxis are available? Thanks in advance for the info.

Lynn

I am in your roll-call but as far as I remember it was only mentioned that the Ho-Ho-Service (Hop-On-Hop-Off-Tourist-Service) will not run on New Year's Day.

Regards

HeinBloed

Thank you so much for the information. As long as metros are running from the airport, we can get to our hotel which is pretty central just off of La Rambla and about a mile from the pier. Although convenient, I am not a fan of HOHOs so the fact they aren't running doesn't ruin our plans.

I am in your roll-call but as far as I remember it was only mentioned that the Ho-Ho-Service (Hop-On-Hop-Off-Tourist-Service) will not run on New Year's Day.

Regards

HeinBloed

There was someone organizing a tour on New Year's Day that was pretty spendy because HOHO was not operating. The way they were talking, it seemed as though they would not be able to get around to sightsee if there was no HOHO. It sounded like they were implying no public transit at all, so I wanted to make sure before we got too much closer to sail date in case we needed to find alternative transport.

Thank you so much for the information. As long as metros are running from the airport, we can get to our hotel which is pretty central just off of La Rambla and about a mile from the pier. Although convenient, I am not a fan of HOHOs so the fact they aren't running doesn't ruin our plans.

The Metro is not running to the Airport.

It's the commuter train (Cercanias), Route 2 to Passeig de Gracia and beyond:

http://www.renfe.com/viajeros/cercanias/barcelona/mapa_zonas_barcelona.html

Only from Terminal 2. So if your flight arrives Terminal 1 you need to use a shuttle bus. But maybe it's easier to take Aerobus 1 to Placa Catalunya:

http://www.sgmt.cat/aerobus/index.php/en/horaris.html

Might be easier.

Regards

HeinBloed

Archived