What to Pack?

Terre

We will be cruising Alaska the first week of June...what clothes should I pack? We've always done Caribbean cruises and am not sure about clothes for Alaska for this time of year.

Besides living here 32+ years, in 2008 we did an Alaskan cruise the first week of June (Whittier to Vancouver), so the rule for living and traveling here is layers.

So usually a tshirt, a sweatshirt or fleece and then a waterproof out layer. I prefer one with a hood so I don't have to deal with a hat and umbrella.

In regards to pants, I either do convertibles (pants that do go to shorts and dry really easily) or fleece.

At the glaciers you'll need a hat and gloves and even some people find that long underwear is good for them.

Susan in Anchorage :)

We did what AKSusan suggests on our July cruise. I took short sleeve tops, a fleece jacket and a lined waterproof windbreaker with a hood. It worked perfectly with three layers. The only time I did not wear the windbreaker was in Victoria because the weather was nice and just a bit cool for me. I brought jeans although some people don't recommend it since it takes too long to dry if it rains. I used the hood when we went up to the Yukon and also in Juneau when it drizzled. No problems with jeans being wet or even damp since it didn't really rain.

Layers, perfect! :)

Archived