River cruiselines smoking policy??

alexandra cruiser

I found a thread listing smoking policies for ocean cruises,,but not for river ones....can a CC member publish an updated policy...want to take one next year and want to make sure of any updates since last river cruise...just had problem with Seabourn,,,found out they allow smoking on balcony and cabins,,,a real dealbreaker,,so this update would be very helpful,,,posted this request on Questions section,,,but perhaps,,better to ask here??

Is this a problem for others on river cruises???Seemed many heated replies when I posted this question re ocean ships...whew////:confused:

On the Vantage ships there is only one place-aft on the sun deck.Check the websites of other lines-there is usually a place that gives the policy.

I do not smoke, but some non-smokers (present company excluded) are so rabid...

The classic was on a Princess ship, they have a cigar bar. People would go in and complain about the smoke.

I realize that some people are very sensitive to smoke.

Most smokers are very considerate, but in life, there are always a few who do not think rules apply to them. Look at any of the threads about bringing liquor aboard.

Many countries in Europe have banned smoking in the work place. I know of no river cruise line that allows smoking in cabins. Usually there is a designated place on the sun deck for smoking. While not a rabid nonsmoker, I am allergic to ciger, pipe and cigarette smoke. Therefore, I tend to avoid those areas. Pat

we are non smokers and the issue is very important to us.

apart from the smell etc mainly to us it is a health and therefore duty of care issue too.

2 cruises with avalon were a pleasure and smoking was never a concern for us. we would not be happy to be forced to endure exposure to smoke.

eventually we believe this will be treated seriously as it is really a health and safety issue, as important as clean food and water.

people are free to do as they wish but others who are providing a service to us needs to consider their customers and their duty of care.

others can think differently but for us we do not want to be exposed to smoking.

I believe that the majority of river lines ban smoking everywhere except the sun deck. I know for certain that Uniworld and AMA do.

As does Grand Circle and Viking (at least Viking did 3-4 years ago so I assume they still have the same policy).

There is a relaxed attitude toward smoking on the sun deck and you will typically see passengers and crew members lingering together for a smoke break on the upper deck. I take issue with passengers who smoke through their french balcony falsely believing their smoke is not wafting into the rooms above.....

so ,hopefully, we will soon have an updated list to refer to with all listed,,,so we can make a choice..so far,,seems most are limited to top deck,,,but concerned about post refering to smelling smoke on french balcony,,,,hope this is very rare,,,if not allowed in cabin,,,was it from top deck,,,I wonder,,,??? Thanks for all who responded.....asked this on ocean cruise website and got many negative comments,,,even a few "personal"comments re.my question,whew....but that one was taken off....:(

Archived