Question re: walking tour of Port Stanley

edgee

We are sailing on Celebrity Infinity in February. We are visting Penguins in the morning, but expect to be back to the port by noon. There is a cruise ship walking tour (2 hours) available at 2 p.m. which we are considering booking. However, we are also considering touring on our own and not committing to a $100 tour (for both of us) in case weather is a problem, or if we decide on a more unstructured afternoon.

Would appreciate any comments on the value of a cruise ship arranged formal walking tour in Port Stanley versus touring on your own with guidebooks or audio guides which I understand are available. Also, are last minute walking tours available locally?

Thanks for any advice!

I was there last December. I went on tours to two penguin sites and then wondered around for near 2 hours. The only advantage of a guide on a walking tour to me would be that you may get to ask questions. You would be better off in my opinion to get a book or good brochure that has a map with highlights. It's not a very big town and most things are along the water front. Most cruise ships will double the population while in port.

The beauty of going on a tour with a local guide is that you not only an overview of the Stanleys history but often a more detailed explanation of certain parts of that history, depending on the guides interests. I personally have an interest in the 1914 battle of the Falklands and stories about some of the original settlers in the Islands, with hopefully a bit of fun thrown in. You also as one poster has already mentioned get to ask questions or get a little bit more info about certain things from history to current day life. Also you often get taken a slightly different route that takes you a street or two back from the main road, especially useful on a busy day.

However saying all that it is a lot cheaper (obviously) doing it your self, the best walk is up the front road to the museum, where most of the "sites" are, you go past the Jublilee villas churches, whale bone arch, Cable cottage, SS Great Britain Mast, old exchange building, police station, town hall, central store building, 1982 liberation monument, Government House, 1914 monument, Solar system, Jhelum, Museum. From the museum you can then take the free shuttle back to the jetty or on a nice day walk back. Also remember the wildlife, you might see seal and dolphins in the walker Steamer Ducks, Upland Geese, Dolphin Gulls plus much more.

As for walking guides available on the day on busy days they will probably be working for one of the bigger tour companies however on a wet day you could possible get a tour by a local guide ask at the jetty centre when you get off. You also mention audio tours I thinks that’s organised by the ship as well and the cost isn't much different.

There are normally places available on the walking tours so you might be able to leave it to the last minute to decide whether to go on it or not depending on the weather.

Hope all that gives you a better idea.

Archived