Light rail from airport to downtown after cruise

casavaha

We just got back from the Rotterdam to Alaska. After we arrived in Seattle we took

the Shuttle Express to the airport, checked our bags with Ken's Bags and then walked

to the light rail station. We purchased rt tickets to downtown, $5.00. Very nice ride.

We got off at Westlake (last stop) When you exit the station (underground) look for

signs saying 3rd & Pike, Century Square. This is the closest exit to Pikes Market.

About 3 blocks away.

What a great way to get into Seattle from the airport.

Greg

We just got back from the Rotterdam to Alaska. After we arrived in Seattle we took the Shuttle Express to the airport, checked our bags with Ken's Bags and then walked to the light rail station.

We are thinking about taking the light rail from SEATAC to Pier 66, and back, in a couple of weeks. Do you have to check your bags with the Shuttle service? Can you bring them on the light rail with you?

Yes you can. We didn't because we didn't want to haul them around all day. We did the bag program on the ship. It ended up raining, so we took rail to airport early. I saw several people onboard with luggage. There were several corners in each car where one could tuck a suitcase into.

Pier 66 is a lot closer to the freeway and a cab is a flat $32. For that early a flight I'd avoid the hassle. To get to light rail you'd have to go uphill some pretty steep hills and not easily walkable. Since the viaduct Hwy-99 is right in front of 66 the airport is only 25 minutes or so if you cab it.

You can take bags on the light rail, but know the rail is designed primarily for commuters, so there isn't a lot of extra room for luggage. Once you arrive at SeaTac, you need to wheel or carry your bags (unless you find a cart) across a large parking lot, over a skyway to the terminal, then up an elevator or escalator to the departure level. If you arrive by shuttle, which will likely let you out in front of the parking structure, not in front of the actual terminal, you need to go up an elevator, cross the skyway, etc. This is what we had to do when we took the shuttle from the nearby Hilton SeaTac. There were luggage carts available for "rent" in the parking structure, but we just used a sky cap.

Pier 66 is a lot closer to the freeway and a cab is a flat $32. For that early a flight I'd avoid the hassle. To get to light rail you'd have to go uphill some pretty steep hills and not easily walkable. Since the viaduct Hwy-99 is right in front of 66 the airport is only 25 minutes or so if you cab it.

I did not know that a cab was a flat fee of $32. Is that with every cab company or certian ones? Can you just get one from the pier or do we need to call ahead?

The light rail to and from Sea Tac to downtown is thru the gang area of Seattle. There has been many robberies on the Light rail in the last couple of months. You will notice the drug sellers get on the light rail for a couple of stops. I would not recommend the use of the light rail. Most of the people in Seattle don't use this light rail. Paying customers are only 20% of what was expected on this political waste of money of building the $ 3 billion dollar light rail.

Where is THIS coming from ? I live here, am a heavy reader of the local news, and have read or heard nothing about this. Please supply some links with proof of this.

I suspect this is heresay.....I for one have never felt unsafe or threatened riding to/from Sea/Tac on the light rail.

Also, the mention of "political waste of money" smells of not-so-hidden agenda here.....

Once again, please supply some links of this "information".

Where is THIS coming from ? I live here, am a heavy reader of the local news, and have read or heard nothing about this. Please supply some links with proof of this.

I suspect this is heresay.....I for one have never felt unsafe or threatened riding to/from Sea/Tac on the light rail.

Also, the mention of "political waste of money" smells of not-so-hidden agenda here.....

Ditto, all of the above. I ride the light rail regularly and don't hesitate to recommend it to visitors. I would like to hear just one credible citation of an actual criminal incident committed there--I've heard of none.

Ditto, all of the above. I ride the light rail regularly and don't hesitate to recommend it to visitors. I would like to hear just one credible citation of an actual criminal incident committed there--I've heard of none.

Since you two use the system often, hopefully i can pick your brains.....

Post cruise i will be flying out of SEA/TAC. We are looking at Amtrak from Vancouver down, and possibly spending a night in Seattle or Vancouver. What are your suggestions as far as getting from the Amtrak station to a lite rail station. Also would you suggest a different option other than Amtrak?

Thanks for the help!

Amtrak is very scenic and totally avoids border hassles. It is the best way home from Vancouver. From Amtrak station you can leave the station turn left and walk thru Quest Field parking lot. On left you will see an elevator. Take that up to street level. Cross street thru the bldgs and turn left. You will see the entrance to the light rail station. About a one blk walk. Very easy.

you might also look on Tripadvisor.com Seattle forum for a FAQ on how to get home from Vancovuer after a cruise.

Amtrak is very scenic and totally avoids border hassles. It is the best way home from Vancouver. From Amtrak station you can leave the station turn left and walk thru Quest Field parking lot. On left you will see an elevator. Take that up to street level. Cross street thru the bldgs and turn left. You will see the entrance to the light rail station. About a one blk walk. Very easy.

Agreed. If you have a little time to spare before your flight, you can check your bags at King Street Station (where Amtrak stops) and walk a few blocks through Pioneer Square. It's a beautiful old neighborhood, and much better for killing time than hanging at the airport! There are some good cafés and restaurants there, and interesting galleries and shops. The neighborhood can get a little rowdy at night because the bars attract some hard partiers (there are also some homeless shelters nearby, but I'd worry more about a few of the drunken fools stumbling from the clubs than about the homeless people on the street), but it's pretty okay through early dinnertime.

Agreed. If you have a little time to spare before your flight, you can check your bags at King Street Station (where Amtrak stops) and walk a few blocks through Pioneer Square. It's a beautiful old neighborhood, and much better for killing time than hanging at the airport! There are some good cafés and restaurants there, and interesting galleries and shops. The neighborhood can get a little rowdy at night because the bars attract some hard partiers (there are also some homeless shelters nearby, but I'd worry more about a few of the drunken fools stumbling from the clubs than about the homeless people on the street), but it's pretty okay through early dinnertime.

I have worked with the homeless population in the past, and have no problems with them being around, as long as they aren't aggressive with panhandling. Do you have any suggestions for a cheaper, but decent hotel in that area?

I have worked with the homeless population in the past, and have no problems with them being around, as long as they aren't aggressive with panhandling. Do you have any suggestions for a cheaper, but decent hotel in that area?

Good for you! Some people freak out at their very presence, but the vast majority of homeless people I've run across are perfectly harmless--they're too occupied with trying to survive to bother anyone. I hear about "aggressive panhandling," but I've never seen it--the folks who've asked me have always taken "Sorry, no" for an answer.

I've heard good things about a couple of places in and around Pioneer Square. The Best Western http://book.bestwestern.com/bestwestern/productInfo.do?propertyCode=48128 is right in the neighborhood, and the Silver Cloud http://www.silvercloud.com/stadium.php is a few blocks south, down by the sports stadiums. You can search them both on this board and find comments from people who've stayed there.

we just arrived in Seattle today at 1:00pm and took the rail to the last stop of westlake. It cost $2.50 each and hardly had anyone on it. It was easy to find and walk to from baggage claim. The ride is nice and very cost efficient and had several places to store our luggage while ridding. We got off and you take a few escalators, easy with luggage for us and out at 5th and pine. We are staying at the Grand Hyatt and what a hotel this is. Great service, friendly people and close to all the down town shops.

Archived