Trip Report: Southbound Seward-Vancouver/Excursion ideas

snorvell

Just returned from one week on RCI's southbound Radiance of the Seas. I usually only lurk on boards like this but figured it was time to start giving back. We are a family of five, with a daughter aged 10 and two boys, 12 and 15.

Generalities:

Rain. Rain. Rain. Be prepared for it at all times. We had fabulous weather, but I gather we were unusually lucky. Also, colder than we expected. Forget shorts and think fleeces and hoodies, even in August.

Some excursion ideas, since that seems to be the biggest topic of conversation here. We opted to go mainly independent. Didn't save that much money, but got a lot more personal attention and further off what seems to be a well-beaten track.

Juneau:

We kayaked on Lake Mendenhall, with everything (down to gloves, dry bags and complete rainwear) provided by Above & Beyond Alaska. We got lucky and only had a brief drizzle, but be prepared to be cold if its raining. That said, unbelievable. We were three (two doubles and a single) of five kayaks on the entire lake. Had the place pretty much to ourselves. It's a workout to get near the glacier, but well worth it. Unbelievable to get up so close after being so far away from Hubbard Glacier on the ship. They met us on the dock exactly as promised and the young man who helped get us started knew his stuff and reassured my rather leery spouse (the lecture about having 10-15 minutes before you die of hypothermia if you fall in the 36-degree lake was a bit of an eye-opener but made it all that more exciting).

Skagway:

Booked a bear-hunt through Joe Ordonez and Rainbow Glacier Adventures in Haines. It was a 40-minute ferry ride from Skagway, which seems to be mostly jewelry shops owned by the cruise companies, to a much more authentic town, Haines. The man Joe set us up with, Tom, is a retired middle school science teacher and avid photographer who was perfect for my shutterbug 12-year-old. Met us right at the dock in Haines as promised. Both Joe and Tom said no guarantees on sightings, but boy did they deliver. There's a couple mothers and their cubs that hang out on the Chilkoot River that put on quite a show for us. Munching salmon. Flopping about in the water. Truly unforgettable viewing. We were no more than 30 feet or so from one of the mothers at one point. We were there for ages, even in the drizzle.

Icy Straight Point:

Booked the whale-watching via the cruise company. Should have booked independent on a smaller boat, but waited too long. Smaller boats can get closer to the whales than the larger cruise-company charters for about the same price.

Ketchikan:

Booked a salmon fishing charter with True Alaskan Charters. Another great operation, and locally owned and operated. Can't say enough good things about them. The young man who took us out, Sean, was born-and-raised there and is a commercial fisherman. Spotless boat. Knew right where to take us and each of my boys got to land a 7- or 8-pound silver. (We let them go again.) Marvelous outing. Not a drop of rain (highly unusual, I am told). Sean was in the next boat over when

was shot. And the best bit is, because we had the boat to ourselves, Sean took us to a nearby harbor seal rookery on the way back to town. Very up close and personal. We actually felt guilty disturbing their siestas on that rare sunny(ish) day. Yet another reason to go independent as opposed to being tied to the larger groups -- the freedom to deviate from the schedule.

All in all, great family trip. Would definitely book shore excursions independently if possible, though.

Hubbard glacier has what the captain described as the most spectacular calving of the season right in front of us.

. Bear in mind that the way of ice you see is 10-15 stories high:

allbest

Great review and video..makes me more excited about going to Alaska next Aug.

We, too, are planning on doing the southbound on the Radiance. How was the ship? I read in one review that there was a "bathroom" smell on several floors. Before we book, I'd like to make sure that the ship is in ok condition.

Again, your info about the excursions is very much appreciated. I am definitely going to go with some of the independent companies. Seems like you get more personal attention and guidance.

Thanks again.

The Radiance was fine, but I'm probably not the best person to ask because it was my first cruise. It was clearly designed for sunnier climates and much of the outdoor facilities (one of the pools, rock-climbing wall, etc.) are not much use in Alaska. The indoor solarium pool stays nice and warm, though.

Now that you mention it, I did notice the smell of sewage on a couple of the decks that was not very pleasant. But it wasn't pervasive and it seemed to come and go.

enjoy the trip.

Icy Straight Point:

Booked the whale-watching via the cruise company. Should have booked independent on a smaller boat, but waited too long. Smaller boats can get closer to the whales than the larger cruise-company charters for about the same price.

This is not accurate. Any boat is under the SAME guidelines for proximity to whales. The benefits of going independent is LONGER tours, longer, equals more time sighting. Point Adolphus is 100% sightings of humpbacks, over many years.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived