Altun Ha ruins question

Honeyroastedmelnut

For those who have been to Altun Ha, how many stories tall is the main temple that you are allowed to climb up? I'm curious how many flights of stairs I need to condition my body for. I don't want to go to such a cool place and not be able to walk up all the stairs becuase I didn't train hard enough.

For those who have been to Altun Ha, how many stories tall is the main temple that you are allowed to climb up? I'm curious how many flights of stairs I need to condition my body for. I don't want to go to such a cool place and not be able to walk up all the stairs becuase I didn't train hard enough.[/quot

Without knowing your abililty it's hard to say, but I don't see any reason to train for it IMHO. If you can climb any stairs you will be fine at Altun Ha. The only thing is, it is hot and humid (very humid)there. Be prepared to sweat!

Heat and humidity don't bother me too much since I've lived in Florida my whole life. (I'm the freak that won't wear shorts until the temp gets over 90)

I'm curious about the height becuase I've heard from others on the boards that it was quite the climb. I'm currently trying to get in shape and to account for uneven terrain/steps I want to make sure I can easily climb more flights of stairs than the temple to make sure I'm not one of those tourists panting and gasping for air at the top.

I've climbed the stairs to the top and I'll admit to being in the out-of-shape category. I'd compare it to a couple of flights of steps. The steps aren't exactly even, and are lacking rails, but unless you have bad knees or other condition that would prevent you from normal activity, you won't have a problem.

My problem was that the stairs were very tall for a short person (5'3"). I'll admit to being out of shape and I was slower than the guys and was huffing a little when I got up, but it wasn't too bad. My legs were sore, but I think it was because they were jsut so tall that I had to pull my body up with each step. It was well worth it though!

• 1 month later...
My problem was that the stairs were very tall for a short person (5'3"). I'll admit to being out of shape and I was slower than the guys and was huffing a little when I got up, but it wasn't too bad. My legs were sore, but I think it was because they were jsut so tall that I had to pull my body up with each step. It was well worth it though!

I'm glad to hear you say this! I'm 5'4" and pretty out of shape but we just decided to do this tour and I would like to get to the top! How is the view from up there? Can you see above the trees?

I'm glad to hear you say this! I'm 5'4" and pretty out of shape but we just decided to do this tour and I would like to get to the top! How is the view from up there? Can you see above the trees?

The view is not too bad...you can see above the shorter trees but not the taller trees...lol...don't worry...you'll like it

When we were at Altun Ha, we climbed two different temples. One was an uneven staircase which was a bit of a climb going up, but it was when i turned around to come back down that i got a little bit nervous...it looked alot steeper on the way down.

the second stairs we climbed was on a very well preserved temple and we were able to climb and explore.

my suggestion would be to climb one, not both. the really well preserved temple is the one i would suggest...its an excellent spot to take photos!

We loved Altun Ha. The steps for the large temple are fairly tall, but I believe there was a rail on the largest one. I've attached a couple pictures from our tour there.

232323232%7Ffp53245%3Enu%3D3272%3E7%3C6%3E25%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D3236%3B7%3B543939nu0mrj

Here is the largest temple - you can see the railing near the back right side

232323232%7Ffp53238%3Enu%3D3272%3E7%3C6%3E25%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D3236%3B7%3B543%3B38nu0mrj

Here is the view from atop the temple

I could not make the climb b/c the mosquitoes on the ground would not leave me alone for a minute at this location--even with DEET-- I had to keep puilling them off me..

I am usually a magnet for them but this was the worst I have experienced , I suggest longer pants & socks if posible & lots of DEET

It was a very nice place to visit other than that & the prices on the wooden bowls are much better than at the port

I agree with the steps being hard for short people!!! (I am 5'3) I climbed the steps even with a bad knee. Just takes a little longer than the average person, although I think on the way up the people behind me appreciated the slow pace :)

As far as Mosquitos, we were there in early march and even see a one!

Archived