La Merce Festival-23Sept.-26Sept.

riffatsea

Thanks Riff!

We might just miss it by a couple days then, but I added it to my trip file and will keep an eye on the dates for next year.

Our cruise leaves on Oct. 2 and we plan to be in Barcelona on Sept. 30 and October 1 right now.

Still a long way to go, though!

Thanks again!

:)

NEW 2 CRUISIN , The holiday is ALWAYS Sept. 24 so the festival will be 4days based around(before/after) that date.

Hola Laura

I will write in English for the Spanish illiterates here.

We are a family of 6 . One adult: My fiancée (women have no age) and and 5 children: Me (46), and 4 teenagers (15*2,13 and 12).

We have no problem walking and laughing, so Barcelona suits us fine.

I will write you our more or less general sort of itinerary and I will be grateful if you elaborate with your comments.

Arriving to BCL around 16:00 Friday 24 September.

Heading to the apartment near sants station. So were to eat in the area ?

Then we will start walking towards the magic fountain and after the show, ... nothing planned.

Saturday 25th : heading towards Sagrada familia and then to parque Guell. Then straight to boqueria for a late lunch (around 15:00 + - ) . we either eat there (if there is a good place) or we buy the goods and head to a nice picnic, somewhere. We have no problem regarding the food and we eat anything that has a mother.

after lunch, walking the rambla , the old city and then , until the very late hours, its just us and merce.

Sunday morning, we take it easy (probably deal with the hangover) , go to el corte ingles for some grocery purchase ( marquis de riscal ) and at noon we board the boat.

So... if you had patrience to read until here, do you have any suggestions ? A place to hang out at night and enjoy the culinary of Catalonia ?

Thanks

Zadik

Hola Zadik,

I don't know your price range for restaurants but Barcelona has many really fine ones!!

You might take a look at:

Gresca-modern Catalan

Fonda Gaig for sit down traditional Catalan food

Paco Meralgo for great tapas(but counters and high stool tables only)

These all have web sites and take reservations. There are others of course!!

I would not go all the way to the Boqueria from Parc Guell to eat lunch!!

First of all there are other markets in the city.

IF you want to picnic why not shop before you go to the Park?? You might consider going to the park first with your picnic food and then going to Sagrada Familia . One can buy tix ahead if you go to the web site so you don't have to worry so much about lines.

Also then you will be geographically closer to the old part of the city. The places to eat in the markets are generally just counters with stools so not necessarily comfy for your whole crew.

The newest market, Santa Caterina (near Palau de la Musica Catalan) off Via Laetana, has a sit down restaurant called Cuines Caterine.

You might also like the Origens99 restaurant not far from Sagrada Familia which is low key, uses only local products, and the menu is a souvenir you can take home with pix of Catalan dishes.

There is really tooooo much for me to write!!

I might have to start another section after a little break and after you let me know what sort of price range you want for these restaurants??

Adeu,(Catalan)

Laura

Hola Zadik,

I don't know your price range for restaurants but Barcelona has many really fine ones!!

You might take a look at:

Gresca-modern Catalan

Fonda Gaig for sit down traditional Catalan food

Paco Meralgo for great tapas(but counters and high stool tables only)

These all have web sites and take reservations. There are others of course!!

I would not go all the way to the Boqueria from Parc Guell to eat lunch!!

First of all there are other markets in the city.

IF you want to picnic why not shop before you go to the Park?? You might consider going to the park first with your picnic food and then going to Sagrada Familia . One can buy tix ahead if you go to the web site so you don't have to worry so much about lines.

Also then you will be geographically closer to the old part of the city. The places to eat in the markets are generally just counters with stools so not necessarily comfy for your whole crew.

The newest market, Santa Caterina (near Palau de la Musica Catalan) off Via Laetana, has a sit down restaurant called Cuines Caterine.

You might also like the Origens99 restaurant not far from Sagrada Familia which is low key, uses only local products, and the menu is a souvenir you can take home with pix of Catalan dishes.

There is really tooooo much for me to write!!

I might have to start another section after a little break and after you let me know what sort of price range you want for these restaurants??

Adeu,(Catalan)

Laura

Hola Laura

Thanks for the info.

The list of places was great and since Paco is near our apartment, we will definitely give it a try. By the way, is the neighbourhood safe at night?

Regarding the next day, a good idea could be to hold the picnic at parc guell. we hope it is allowed, since I always wanted to use the chameleon at the entrance as a table. (Just joking...)

Thanks

If Paco is near your apartment then it is an upscale residential neighborhood.

It might be quiet at night but I have walked there on my own with no probs.

Paco was my favorite tapas experience last year because it was not full of tourists and I could chat with neighborhood people.

You might want to make a res for your group. BTW the name is also a play on words Paco Meralgo pa comer algo

YES, you can picnic in Park Guell but NOT on the lizard!(LOL)

Archived