La Merce Festival-23Sept.-26Sept.

riffatsea

IF any of you are in Barcelona during this time there are lots of special activities going on. There's a 3 day wine tasting festival down near the port. There are free concerts of all sorts all over the city. There are traditional activities with parades,human towers,fireworks and much more.

IF you are in the city at this time and want more info just ask.

Personally we avoid Barcelona during La Merce. The human pyramids - castellers -are interesting - it's all about solidarity, support and working from a strong foundation, but it makes me a bit uncomfortable when I see a small child of say 6 or 7 scrambling atop a pyramid of people up to 7 people tall!I am not a great fan of wall to wall people, especially when there are fireworks being thrown about all over the place ( and I don't just mean firecrackers here) Spaniards, bless 'em , love fireworks. If you are not keen , stay away, stay far away. Same goes for Valencia during Las Feias.

Wow! Sorry you don't like the festival but it won't impact normal sightseeing during the day.

You can pick and choose which activities you like and stay away from the ones you don't like.

The wine tasting is for 3 days starting at 4PM on the 23rd.

There are no firecrackers around the area!!

You may be thinking of the fire run(correfoc) which is only on certain streets on one night(Sat.25) so no worries at other times!! The free music all over the city is also wonderful!

I plan to be at some of the traditional events(opening parade etc) and then leave the crowds for the quieter parts of the city!!

The adult parade can get a bit over the top (fireworks all over the place -- like 2 inches from your left ear). If that sort of thing bothers you, the children's parade (either the night following or the night before, I can't remember) is still a lot of fun but a bit tamer.

You pay your money and take your choice! If you are aware of what the events are about you can choose. If you are in Barca for a cruise at that time, then fine - go and enjoy - between the wine-tasting, parades and fireworks there is something for everyone. Personally I'd rather leave it! I like my Barca a tad quieter! (I also have a firework phobia - some people it's spiders, some people it's snakes, me it's fireworks!!)

September 24 is a public holiday.The other days of the festival are not. Museums like Picasso,MNAC etc. are free that day but may have Sunday hours. There will probably be long lines!!You can check the web sites of the museums that interest you.

riffatsea,

Gosh , I'd forgotten about that. We arrive on the 24th and usually do our shopping at El Cortes. Of course it will be closed, so we will need to bring more 'stuff' with us.

Thanks for the heads up.

IF any of you are in Barcelona during this time there are lots of special activities going on. There's a 3 day wine tasting festival down near the port. There are free concerts of all sorts all over the city. There are traditional activities with parades,human towers,fireworks and much more.

IF you are in the city at this time and want more info just ask.

Yes !!!!!!! I definatly would like to receive the vastest possible information regarding the festival.

We are a group of six. One adult ( she is 40 ) and five kids ( me 46 , and the rest, 15 X 2 , 13 and 12 )

I tried to have info from the website of La Merce, but found nothing there.

We will be arriving Friday 24th at 17:00 to Barcelona (NOT Barca !!!!) and leaving with the Jade on Sunday the 26th.

Looking forward to your insights.

Thanks

Zadik, They are very slow getting out the schedule each year.

It probably won't be completely written until that week.

The BIG events that we know of for sure:

Wine tasting --on Moll de la Fusta This street faces the yacht

basin and runs from the end of Las Ramblas to the end of Via Laetana.Friday and Sat 10AM- 10 PM.(Starts Thursday at 4PM)

Sat. night 6:30PM Corre foc(fire run)for children

This should be a bit less wild than the adult run which follows.

The adult run starts around 8:30PMwild costumes,"chasing the

demons into the gates of hell"......drumming/dancing in the streets with the "demons" Wear jeans,hat to protect from sparks.

Sunday around noon-castellers(human pyramids)

During all these days and nights there will also be free concerts of all kinds throughout the city but that schedule is not out.

There will be fireworks each night in an international competition. This culminates on Sunday night at 10PM with

Piromusical which is music,the dancing fountain lights+ fireworks -You can watch from anywhere near Placa Espanya.

Sorry the Jade leaves on Sunday before this event!!

It is really interesting to read a sentence written in Catalan ,Cattlar! "Tomorrow I will go to Barcelona with friends", etc.

I am just reporting what the folks in the Barcelona forum on Trip Advisor say about their city. They are pretty much in agreement that it should NOT be called Barca! I tend to follow local custom.

Fair enough! I guess the difference is that I live on the french side of the mountains and thus in northern catalonia - we speak french and catalan but also call Barcelona Barca. Guess it's just different on the southern catalonia side of the mountains!

basin and runs from the end of Las Ramblas to the end of Via Laetana.Friday and Sat 10AM- 10 PM.(Starts Thursday at 4PM)

demons into the gates of hell"......drumming/dancing in the streets with the "demons" Wear jeans,hat to protect from sparks.

During all these days and nights there will also be free concerts of all kinds throughout the city but that schedule is not out.

There will be fireworks each night in an international competition. This culminates on Sunday night at 10PM with

Piromusical which is music,the dancing fountain lights+ fireworks -You can watch from anywhere near Placa Espanya.

Do you know where the Fire Run takes place as well as the castellers? Are they always in the same place?

Thanks,

Hey the one with the difficult nick

Thanks for the briefing.

Zadik

The program is out BUT only in Catalan. IF you read French/Spanish you may be able to figure most of it.

The events I originally listed are correct. In addition the international fireworks competition will be on at 10PM

on Saturday(25)perhaps I missed the Friday listing,not sure??

It will be in Place de Barcelonetta near the port.

There will also be "projections" on the walls of the city hall(Ajuntament) nights at 8:45

There are free concerts in :Placa Catalunya, Parc Ciutadella,

and many other locations.

Here is the program calendar:

http://www.bcn.cat/merce/ca/agenda.shtml

Castellers --Placa S. Jaume

Fire run along Via Laetana and perhaps other streets.

I am told that a good area to stand is in Placa Antoni Maura which is on Via Laetana just between the Cathedral and the Santa Caterina Market.

I will be there for the early infantil(kiddie) run.

I'll be wearing an old heavy cotton shirt of my husbands that ihas a red design if you feel like saying "HI".

Laura aka Riffatsea

ALSO in the city hall--Ajuntament They will have the "dragons and beasties" on display all day in the lobby.

This will be for every day that week from 10AM-til evening.

Thank you for the link. I'm going to try using an online translator to figure it out. Where can we get an English pamphlet/brochure on the Merce festival calendar of events when we arrive in Barcelona?

Since 9/24 is a public holiday, will the markets, like Boqueria be closed? Also, what else can we expect to be closed? ie. restaurants, grocery store.

Chiqui

Yes, the big markets like the Boqueria will be closed. There may be small convenience stores like the 7-11s in the USA that may be open. SOME restaurants that are closed on Sundays may also be closed but many will be open. All the museums and normal tourist attractions are open and public transportation runs all night on those days.

I understand that the English language versions are shortened editions and will be available on Thursday Sept.23 in SMALL nos. They will be found at the Palau de la Virreina which is on Las Ramblas just before the Boqueria.

I have listed most of the traditional events and you can probably figure out the concerts which BTW go until about 3AM!!

IF you have another specific question I'll try to answer.

Hmmm? I guess I did not list the traditional events here.

I thought I did but perhaps I just wrote on the Trip Advisor Barcelona forum.

Sooo--Sept.23 7PM--Sardanes Folk dancing with live music

in front of the Cathedral 7PM

7:45 -Opening Ceremonies-Placa S.Jaume

speeches,giants,parade/music drumming

8:45 Projections on wall City Hall(Ajuntament)

concerts all over the city

Sept. 24 childrens activities--Parc de la Ciutadella and concerts all over the city all day and night

Sept. 25 Corre Foc(fire run) info further back on this thread.

Every day 10AM-8PM dragons and beasts on display at the city hall lobby

wine tasting from 4PM on Sept 23 -25

LOTS more but too much to list

Archived