POLL: For my 9/11/10 Norwegian EPIC Roll Call'ers

JRoadZ

Supplemental Insurance anyone??  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Supplemental Insurance anyone??

• YES! I purchased and always do purchase the supplemental insurance.
    • NO! I never purchase the supplemental insurance as it is a waste.
    • NO! I did not purchase the supplemental insurance, but am kinda kicking myself now for not.

OK, so who purchased the supplemental insurance either through NCL, their travel agent, or whatever??

In light of Hurricane Earl making his way up the East Coast...and the 2-3 forming in the Atlantic / Caribbean...did you? Did you not? Do you regret not purchasing it? What is covered if you did not purchase it?

Can the more expert cruisers weigh in on your experiences, even if you're not sailing with us on the 9/11/10 Norwegian EPIC Eastern Caribbean itinerary?? I've only sailed one other time, 2 years ago, in the Mexican Riviera in 2008. I'm really looking forward to St. Maarten and St. Thomas. I'm sure Costa Maya, Cozumel, and Roatan are great and all and we will have great time regardless but I booked Eastern Caribbrean as I've been to Mexico (ME by Melia in Cancun 2007...Cabos, Puerto Vallarta, and Mazatlan on the NCL Star in 2008...and think Cozumel, etc. might be similar in offerings).

I recall it being $100/per person for me and my wife, and possibly $50/per perfon for my 2 toddlers...I did not select it personally to keep costs down.

I knew I was cruising during hurricane season, but that wasn't a factor in purchasing the insurance.

We are sailing without our children (especially the youngest, which is 2) and it will be the FIRST time we've ever left her for longer than a couple of hours. With children, they are so unpredictable and anything can happen (with sickness or accidents) and we just thought it was a good idea to make sure that we had that added protection just in case. Now I'm glad we did, for other obvious reasons. :)

OK, so who purchased the supplemental insurance either through NCL, their travel agent, or whatever??

In light of Hurricane Earl making his way up the East Coast...and the 2-3 forming in the Atlantic / Caribbean...did you? Did you not? Do you regret not purchasing it? What is covered if you did not purchase it?

Can the more expert cruisers weigh in on your experiences, even if you're not sailing with us on the 9/11/10 Norwegian EPIC Eastern Caribbean itinerary?? I've only sailed one other time, 2 years ago, in the Mexican Riviera in 2008. I'm really looking forward to St. Maarten and St. Thomas. I'm sure Costa Maya, Cozumel, and Roatan are great and all and we will have great time regardless but I booked Eastern Caribbrean as I've been to Mexico (ME by Melia in Cancun 2007...Cabos, Puerto Vallarta, and Mazatlan on the NCL Star in 2008...and think Cozumel, etc. might be similar in offerings).

I recall it being $100/per person for me and my wife, and possibly $50/per perfon for my 2 toddlers...I did not select it personally to keep costs down.

I'm not on your cruise, but voted anyway since you posted the thread here... seemed like a fun vote and I couldn't help myself! :)

:p

I would have preferred an additional category...

Yes! I purchased it for this cruise only, but usually consider it a waste!

I bought it for this cruise, but NEVER before. We had a health issue at the time of booking that we were not sure how it would turn out. That is the only reason I bought it this time. The extra bit if money gave me peace of mind in this case. I think if I purchased it in other years without a clear reason for needing it, I would have been kicking myself for wasting money. I didn't vote because my category wasn't there :)

Thanks for the replies everyone. I called my Personal Cruise Consultant, Kim S., at NCL who calmed my nerves somewhat by clarifying the supplemental insurance is for health and loss of job reasons...not weather.

We did buy the supplemental insurance for 2 reasons:

#1 and most important: my mother is ill and I am her primary caretaker (this is our respite trip. yahoo!)

#2 hurricanes.

Note on #1: we were told that IF my mother's condition worsens so that we have to cancel we have to produce a boatload of documentation and it still has to be reviewed and then "they" get to decide if we are worthy of cash reimbursement. And it takes 4 months for this process.

Not to be crass but I would assume some of this process would be shortened should she meet her maker!!!

Note on #2: We were told we can cancel FOR ANY REASON WHATSOEVER but we only get 75% compensation returned. That sounded good to us because if the weather looked bad and my mom's condition had worsened but not life-threatening we could at least get some return on our investment.

I noticed on the actual document that there is also NCL’s Platinum Travel Protection Plan, you will receive an NCL cruise credit equal to 90%. don't know how much more the Platinum plan is but we did not buy that one.

So far looks like all is go on this end. PTL!!!

Archived