Melbourne or Orlando

jrkast5

I just booked the Dream for October 16th. Is it easier to fly into Melbourne or Orlando. The price was about the same out of Milwaukee.

Melbourne will have considerably less passenger congestion, while Orlando will have the best selection of nonstop flights, as well as more options to transfer between the airport and Port Canaveral.

Melbourne is a much smaller airport, only served by Delta Air Lines (with flights connecting in Atlanta), or US Airways (with flights connecting in Charlotte). There's an independently operated (not Carnival's) cruise ship shuttle desk and several rental car desks in the baggage claim area. When we flew into Melbourne, we were literally the only passenger airplane at the terminal. We grabbed our bags and walked right to our rental car. Easiest thing we've ever done!

Orlando is a much larger airport, with several terminals connected by trams, served by all major and low cost airlines, as well as many international airlines. You'll have hundreds of flight options. Also, Carnival provides transfers (for a fee) from Orlando (but not from Melbourne). Other companies also provide scheduled transfers to Port Canaveral. The only drawback is (just like at any large airport) dealing with thousands of other passengers, getting on trams, having to wait for shuttles if you're renting a car, etc. Patience is key. With that said, for its size, Orlando is run very efficiently, at least when compared to other large airports.

The rest of your post is spot on, but most car rental firms have the cars in parking garages that you walk to from the terminal

In Orlando? Thanks. I just remember a bunch of shuttles, but didn't realize that the rental cars were right there!

In Orlando? Thanks. I just remember a bunch of shuttles, but didn't realize that the rental cars were right there!

They recently moved all the major rental agencies into the terminal. OIA is a very effecient airport, and PC is a straight shot down the Beach Line. Plus, if something does happen to your flights, you'll have a much better success in Orlando with the quantity of flights.

Also, Carnival provides transfers (for a fee) from Orlando (but not from Melbourne).

Not true. For our last cruise, we used Carnival's air and they booked us into the Melbourne airport. They were also providing our transfer, so they do operate from the Melbourne airport. Unfortunately, Delta cancelled our flight and we ended up flying Westjet to Orlando. It would have been nice to be so much closer to the port when we landed though. We barely made it before the ship sailed.

Not true. For our last cruise, we used Carnival's air and they booked us into the Melbourne airport. They were also providing our transfer, so they do operate from the Melbourne airport. Unfortunately, Delta cancelled our flight and we ended up flying Westjet to Orlando. It would have been nice to be so much closer to the port when we landed though. We barely made it before the ship sailed.

Unless something has changed, my understanding is that if you made your flight arrangements, you can't purchase Carnival transfers from Melbourne but you can still purchase Carnival transfers from Orlando.

Based on your post, I've now learned that Carnival may route some passengers who've booked air through them) into Melbourne and provide transportation in these specific instances.

I just booked the Dream for October 16th. Is it easier to fly into Melbourne or Orlando. The price was about the same out of Milwaukee.

Melbourne by a mile. No crowds, 15 miles to the port either rent a car and turn it in at Cocoa Beach (about 2-3 miles from the port where most rental agencies offer free shuttle to the port) or grab a transfer to get there. MCO is a large airport and somewhat congested also 50 miles from the port.

I'd say use Melbourne - I love our little airport, and so does everybody I know who have used it. My mother flys weekly for business, and she loves the easy style of the Melbourne airport. She often pays considerably more to fly to Melbourne instead of Orlando because it is so much "calmer and more peaceful".

That being said, there are only a few flights a day - but almost all leave on time - so if you had problems that might present a problem. We do however have many nice hotels and a nice stretch of beach here. And as others have pointed out - it is only about an hour to the Orlando airport even from Melbourne, so MCO remains an option.

Archived