Travel dilemma, Paris to London on 23rd or Christmas Eve

Steppinup

Hi,

We are trying to decide exactly how to divide our Paris London trip (19 days). We land in Southampton on the 17th December and leave from there on the 5th of January 2011. We were thinking that it would be easiest travel wise if we went to Paris first for 7 nights, then return to London on Christmas Eve (midday) for 11 nights and then Southampton for the last night. We are aware that London pretty much shuts down on Christmas day so we are thinking that traffic at either end of the Chunnel would be horrendous so maybe we should come across from Paris to London a day earlier (23rd) instead. Does anyone know if this one day earlier would make such a difference? We would hate to lose a day in Paris unless it saves us significant time/difficulty overall.

We want to book our Eurostar tickets and accommodation now and will be catching taxis at either end because we will have lots of luggage.

Any Information/advice/comments would be gratefully received.

Cheers

ZsaZsa

Arriving in London on 24 December at around noon should be fine, public transport starts winding down from about 2pm. Christmas Day in London is quite a special time to visit although attractions are closed as are most shops and restaurants you will get to the city in a surreal peace. Make the most of it because the next day shops begin opening with their post Christmas sales and the crowds return.

We were thinking that it would be easiest travel wise if we went to Paris first for 7 nights, then return to London on Christmas Eve (midday) for 11 nights and then Southampton for the last night. We are aware that London pretty much shuts down on Christmas day so we are thinking that traffic at either end of the Chunnel would be horrendous so maybe we should come across from Paris to London a day earlier (23rd) instead. Does anyone know if this one day earlier would make such a difference? We would hate to lose a day in Paris unless it saves us significant time/difficulty overall.
You will have no problem getting to London at lunchtime on Christmas Eve. Traffic will actually be very light in London, but there will be no shortage of transport. The afternoon of Christmas Eve is actually one of my favourite times to go shopping.

Unless you have a particular reason for going to Southampton for one night before you depart (sail?) from there on 5 January, I would stay in London that night as well. Getting from central London to Southampton to embark on a ship is almost risk-free in terms of whether you will get there. It is definitely not the same as flying to a port on the same day that the ship departs.

It's been a very long time since I've spent Christmas in London (45 year), but when I was in the service, I tried to get out of London on the day after Christmas and found out it was also a holiday, Boxing Day, and everything was also closed, had to stay another day and was almost AWOL. Have things changed??

Cheers

Len

thanks for the quick reply. I guess nothing stays the same anymore.

cheers

Len

Hi, Len. I'm a little wary of H's posting re Boxing Day.

It's a public holiday, New Year's Day is also a public holiday these days. Yes, the big stores are heaving with sales shoppers, but smaller shops (certainly out of London) are closed, ditto museums etc, & ancillary services are very limited. Banks are closed, public transport runs a very limited service esp the trains which run sunday services or worse & take the opportunity to close lines for 2 days+ for major engineering work. Most restaurants are closed, those which are open have to be booked way in advance & offer only special menus, at inflated prices.

I don't know London that time of year but elsewhere, with the exception of major shopping centres & pubs, Britain is closed for the holiday.

JB

Thanks, that really helped us finalise our arrangements.:) We are going to travel back to London at lunch time on Christmas eve and also fit in a Salisbury/Stonehenge visit the day before our return cruise.

I apologise for the tardy reply.

Cheers

Zsa

• 2 weeks later...

Anywhere in the world, travelling on the 23rd is mayhem, since a lot of people are still trying to get home for the holidays. On the 24th, it is much quieter, on the 25th even more so, because people are already home and don't want to travel anymore. I always loved working at the airport and at hotels on Christmas Day, since the place was deserted. I once flew Amsterdam-Hamburg on the 25th, and there were only 5 passengers on board!

Archived