GEM,JEWEL??? Villa Suite Questions

ccrtexas

Have never sailed NCL but would really like to try it. We have cruised 35+ times in the last 10 years so I would say we are familiar with cruise life.

I am more interested in the ship than ports of call so I think the Jewel or Gem would be great.

I would appreciate it if someone could help me with the following.....

1. will they sell the A3 two bedroom suite for 2 people only? Any pictures?

2. are kids allowed in the courtyard by the pool? If so, was it loud or did you find they behaved?

3. any pictures of a A4 courtyard villa.

4. I understand there is a CL...do they serve cocktails in the PM or is it a nice lounge to relax in?

ANY other info would be great

Ann

Godley TX

Have never sailed NCL but would really like to try it. We have cruised 35+ times in the last 10 years so I would say we are familiar with cruise life.

I am more interested in the ship than ports of call so I think the Jewel or Gem would be great. The Pearl also has the Courtyard Villa Suites, so don't rule it out.

I would appreciate it if someone could help me with the following.....

1. will they sell the A3 two bedroom suite for 2 people only? Definitely! Any pictures? Click on the link in my signature. My photos are of the A3, Suite 14006 on the Jewel

2. are kids allowed in the courtyard by the pool? If so, was it loud or did you find they behaved? There were a couple of very well-behaved children on our cruise. It all depends upon the parents. :)

3. any pictures of a A4 courtyard villa. Not yet, but I know a regular poster here has some, and if he doesn't come along in a little while, I'll try to find them for you.

4. I understand there is a CL...do they serve cocktails in the PM or is it a nice lounge to relax in? I'm sure your butler can get any kind of cocktail or wine you'd like. Cocktails are not routinely served in the Courtyard though.

ANY other info would be great You will not regret booking one of these fabulous suites, and you will be thoroughly spoiled. Cruisers from other lines who have cruised in them say there is nothing like them on any other cruise line.

Ann

Godley TX

Hope this helps!

4. I understand there is a CL...do they serve cocktails in the PM or is it a nice lounge to relax in?

The Jewel has a CL but it seemed to me people only ran up for coffee, cookies, etc. and didn't stay. The CL does not have free drinks as some other lines. But yes, you could have the butler get drinks for you at a charge.

hHi,

I have not sailed in a CV but friends did and had us us for lunch and such. Since it is okay to have guests up to your suite but not entertain them in common areas such as the CL or CY pool area, it seems to me that typical kids staying in a CV would want to go to the main pools or kids club where they can interact with other kids.

Also, our friends had the A3 and one of them used the spare bedroom as their computer room, mainly to download their pictures and work offline.

If you are only two people, I would highly recommend the A4. It is the same as an A3 minus the second bedroom and with a smaller balcony. The A4's are at the back of the courtyard and are very secluded and quiet.

Here are some photos of Gem 14014. If there is anything specific you want to see a photo of just ask and if I have it, I will post it here.

Our cruise was during a school holiday for Montreal, Canada. There were many kids in the courtyard. Their behavior depended on which parents were supervising.

gem201066.jpg.33363df94a7f33c4ac38d8d9323e6011.jpg

gem201018.jpg.1f7224cbfd687a5854e6648e1988d2b2.jpg

gem201012.jpg.e39ebc3d2fd1e235d3f776891b564c63.jpg

gem20108.jpg.83e8031aa6a40967dbea6b1eb041a424.jpg

gem201047.jpg.27396aeeb56d50963000358bc460877c.jpg

ccrtexas, I couldn't find the photos of the A4, but just think of it as an A3 withoout the extra bedroom.

Cruise_More_Often...thanks for the great info. Your photo albums really helped.

I looked at the Pearl but was leaning towards the Gem and Jewel because they sail from NYC. Im thinking a few days in one of our favorite cities would be nice...great food and broadway in the evening:)

I have a few more ????

I didnt think we would like the Deluxe Owners Suite on the Gem (because it wasnt at the courtyard) but after looking at your pictures, Im rethinking that.

What are your thoughts on the DOS vs a suite on 14 by the courtyard?

Do I understand there is no elevator to 15, just stairs?

Thanks

Ann

Godley TX

Cruise_More_Often...thanks for the great info. Your photo albums really helped.

I looked at the Pearl but was leaning towards the Gem and Jewel because they sail from NYC. Im thinking a few days in one of our favorite cities would be nice...great food and broadway in the evening:)

I have a few more ????

I didnt think we would like the Deluxe Owners Suite on the Gem (because it wasnt at the courtyard) but after looking at your pictures, Im rethinking that.

What are your thoughts on the DOS vs a suite on 14 by the courtyard?

Do I understand there is no elevator to 15, just stairs?

Thanks

Ann

Godley TX

Ann, you're very welcome! You're right, there's no elevator to 15, just the stairs. We got an upsell to the DOS on the Pearl, but it was only for a 1-night cruise, so we really didn't get to experience it the way we'd like to have.

Here are some things you might think about re the DOS:

• The balcony is forward facing, so it would get the full force of the wind when underway. When you're seated, however, you should be protected from the wind, much like being in one of the suites at the front of the ship.

• There's the wonderful hot tub that would be so much fun to be in while sailing.

• It has those floor-to-ceiling windows across the entire front of the suite that give you a to-die-for VIEW!

• The Courtyard is just down the one flight of stairs.

• There is no separation between the living room and bedroom areas of the DOS, like there is in the A3 and A4.

So, have I talked you out of it or into it? I'm sure glad it's not me deciding! :D

Cruise_More_Often...

I think I have to go with the A4. We have stayed in suites with and without a separate bedroom and I prefer the ones with a bedroom.

I think NCL could turn into our new favorite line. Thanks for all your help

Ann

Godley TX

Thanks for the great pictures of the GEM # 14014 Rockland Cruiser! I just re-joined Cruise Critic after a long time away and had been booked on the EPIC for March..until today. dont want to fly to Miami so we will drive to NYC and now rebooked on the GEM, in that exact cabin for Feb 2011! So I

had a question about the Bedroom, is there a door that seperates the Bathroom or is that what those Purple Curtians are for?

Also,is the Courtyard Area inclosed or open sky? since we are leaving in the winter was curious about being able to be in there during first and last day because of the weather

Anything else you could share about the Cabin would be helpful, first time on NCL have only cruise RC before, thanks! I appriciate it!!:)

Archived