Couples massage on board or at port?

shellcoates

My husband and I are in our late 20's (with 3 small children) and I'd love to surprise him with a couples massage while on vacation. We will be on the Celebrity Solstice. Is it worth the price on board at the spa? Does anyone know of a great experience at port? St. Marteen? San Jaun? Or St. Thomas? -Any suggestions? Rates? Thanks in advance! :) -Shelley

Can't speak of the ports but the massages on board are VERY expensive...and shorter than you would recieve on land....and no guarantee of the quality of the technician....I used to have them on board frequently until I started having them where I live...and then I realized the quality on board just is NOT up to normal standards. If someone doesn't have a great suggestion for a port I would recommend finding someone on land where you live before you leave...you will no doubt find it MUCH less expensive, longer and better quality.

If money isn't a factor then go for it, have fun.......do both!!!!:):D

I had booked a couples massage for our Jan Solstice cruise but cancelled it.... just couldn't see spending 309.00 for 50 minutes. Celebrity includes the tip. I've found massages for 175.00 a couple in port, so with the 15% tip, that's around 200.00.

Haven't booked yet, but bother San Juan and St Maarten port sites have Massage and spa posts.

I am a massage therapist. I generally do NOT get massages on vacation. I have made exceptions, but it's rare. These massages are generally overpriced, short on time and therapists are either not up to par or do not really care that much because they know they won't be seeing you again. No need to really go out of their way to please you. I have definitely had a few occasions that I have been pleased, but that has been rare. I am not overly picky and my vacation massages I am looking for nothing more than general relaxation......no special work to get any major kinks out or anything.

Many of my clients have reported dissatisfying massage experiences while on vacation too.

My recommendation would be to get a couple's massage before you go and get your vacation off to a good start. OR.....save it for your return after you have walked your legs off or lugged around all the luggage (and extend the vacation a little).

Just a little advice when booking the couple's massage (wherever it turns out to be).......consider your feelings and his about the gender of your therapists. Many men will not want to be massaged by another male and will have problems if a male is giving their wife a massage while they are in the same room.

For myself....I am not a fan of couple's massage. I don't want to be concerned that I am disturbing my husband's relaxation if I happen to ask my therapist for more pressure or something. I also don't want to be disturbed if he should need to converse with his therapist or if he should start to snore! Many couples do enjoy it though. They get massage only occasionally and like being in the same room as their significant other and knowing that each other are both enjoying the relaxation. I would NOT recommend chatting with each other through the whole session. Massage is much more effective if you are quiet and sink away into the relaxation with the music and the calming effect of the massage.

Whatever you decide.......ENJOY!!!!

I am a massage therapist. I generally do NOT get massages on vacation. I have made exceptions, but it's rare. These massages are generally overpriced, short on time and therapists are either not up to par or do not really care that much because they know they won't be seeing you again. No need to really go out of their way to please you. I have definitely had a few occasions that I have been pleased, but that has been rare. I am not overly picky and my vacation massages I am looking for nothing more than general relaxation......no special work to get any major kinks out or anything.

Many of my clients have reported dissatisfying massage experiences while on vacation too.

My recommendation would be to get a couple's massage before you go and get your vacation off to a good start. OR.....save it for your return after you have walked your legs off or lugged around all the luggage (and extend the vacation a little).

Just a little advice when booking the couple's massage (wherever it turns out to be).......consider your feelings and his about the gender of your therapists. Many men will not want to be massaged by another male and will have problems if a male is giving their wife a massage while they are in the same room.

For myself....I am not a fan of couple's massage. I don't want to be concerned that I am disturbing my husband's relaxation if I happen to ask my therapist for more pressure or something. I also don't want to be disturbed if he should need to converse with his therapist or if he should start to snore! Many couples do enjoy it though. They get massage only occasionally and like being in the same room as their significant other and knowing that each other are both enjoying the relaxation. I would NOT recommend chatting with each other through the whole session. Massage is much more effective if you are quiet and sink away into the relaxation with the music and the calming effect of the massage.

Whatever you decide.......ENJOY!!!!

What she said....and might I add that the therapists onboard are not licensed. On Ohio, massage therapists are licensed by the State Medical Board. On a cruise ship, who would they be licensed by? What training/education have they received? I have a standing appt. with my MT and she knows my body better than I do. For a "good" massage, your therapist must know about you and your body, and will do a consultation and personal history before placing their hands on you. They will ask about all medical conditions. That does not happen on a cruise ship, not in 50 minutes. Having said all of that...for fun and relaxation, I would consider booking a massage at a land based hotel/spa in port. I am sure you will get some recommendations. I have cruised with CCer's who know where to go. I wold not expect the same treatment as my regular MT, but I would benefit to some degree, I'm sure.

Good luck and enjoy your massage.

Archived