Alaska cruise help

thesawch

We sailed the NCL Pearl out of Seattle two years ago and totally loved it. That ship had a wide variety of cabins, so you can find one that sleeps 5. My parents had an AB suite which has 2 bedrooms and a couch so 5 would be very comfy in there, plus you get butler service and a ton of perks. It was not too expensive, either, considering the alternative is paying for 2 cabins (four people at full rate + 1 add on) versus a suite (2 people at full rate + 3 add ons.)

Go to one of the web sites that covers all the lines and search- you have to compare too many things to be able to come up with a quick and dirty answer. All the major travel sites cover them as do the specialized ones. When, where, how long- all these things count.

Actually, Iv found the best deals on HAL. Starting at $499. The more expensive ones will be round trips.

The ones that usually seem to go on sale cheap are one way cruises, where you either have to fly back from a different port than you left from, or do a B2B. Iv watched Alaska prices as it turns out.

I find Carnival is rather expensive to Alaska.

Carnival has one ship, HAL has 3 I believe.

Best advice is shop, shop, shop. We've sailed Alaska 2x. From Seattle on NCL Star and from Vancouver on NCL Sun. Both were the least expensive at the time.

While there are some who don't like Freestyle dining it worked really well for Alaska. We could spend full days ashore and go to dinner whenever we wanted.

If you can swing going at the end of the season (early-mid September) you'll save a bunch.

Charlie

I dont think Alaska and cheap are compatible :D LOL. Any Alaska cruise will cost a pretty penny. I have been looking to book my Alaska cruise for 2011 too. The cost of the cruise isnt to to bad but once you add up flights and excursions...its a fortune! Seems most excursions in Alaska are super expensive...or at least all the ones that catch my interest.

We picked round trip from Seattle due to the cost of the plane tickets. There is a CC group sailing in June. The advantage in joining them is that you only have to put down $25 deposit on the 1st and 2nd passengers in each cabin.

Don't know if this works well in reverse. But when we sailed out of Vancouver it was less expensive for us to fly to Seattle and take the train to Vancouver.

If you are looking at a Seattle departure you may want to check that out.

Charlie

May being the beginning of the Alaska season will almost always have lower fares and is NOT specific to CCL at all......Sept. as well will offer much lower fares than during the Alaska "peak season" of June July and August.

As an FYI... HAL and Princess were the pioneers of Alaska and in my opinion offer the best Alaska cruise experience as well as ships.

We celebrated our 10th anniversary in 2002 on Princess to Alaska on our actual anniversary of 8/21. The first and last cruises of the season usually give you a deal, so consider when you are booking.

I am on several mailing lists, like SmarterTravel, but have booked my cruises often through the cruise line during a special promotion. Just check often.

No matter what, you will love Alaska!

I leave in the AM to fly to Seattle for the Spirits last Alaskan cruise of 2010.

It is a CC Group cruise, we got a great deal (Consider going with the CC Group, or planning one of your own) it leaves Seattle, does the Glacier Bay, Kechican, Skagway, Juneau and the inside passage.

Can't tell you yet how great it was, ....Give me a week or so :D

The Spirit is a great ship,

the excursions are spendy

not like $50 for AI in Cozumel...

But you can explore on your own, and there are even some this on the net for DIY tours.

We kind of are doing the middle of the road tours.

I figure for the two of us we will have spent about $4000 total

CC Group price for 8B 1000pp

Air fare to Seattle and home from Vanc. BC + baggage fees for 2 $700

4 Excursions for 2 $700, Tips- auto and otherwise $300, and $300 Misc.

Hope this helps...

Oh some of the group is taking the train back to Seattle from Vanc. after the tour there.

some are flying into Vanc. BC taking the train down to Seattle (right now)

and will fly back out of Vanc. BC

It all depends on where they are coming from, and finding the best deal on air fare. On our sailing we have some from Britain, and New Zea land flying in.

Plan Plan Plan, and do your searching....

In case you haven't noticed I can't get to sleep :o

Help me narrow it down a little faster. What is the cheapest crusieline to cruise Alaska with. I need to take 5 of us for a cruise next summer and need to do it on the cheap. Seattle or vancouver is fine. Thanks

If you do one-way out of Vancouver/Anchorage, the airfare for those cities is pretty expensive and Hotels/Food there are a bit expensive - so you might want to look at a Round Trip out of Seattle. Excursions on any of the lines are VERY expensive in Alaska and with 5 people you may want to look at walking tours of the towns (The LumberJack show in Ketchikan is reasonable and fun, you can city bus to Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau). We travelled last week of August, the weather was GREAT and the fares much lower than mid-June thru mid-August. May and September are the lowest, lowest fares - personally I wouldn't book the first several and the last several cruises of the season. I'd compare Princess, HAL and Carnival fares - Princess grants price adjustments if your fare drops.

ken

I desperately wanted to go, but I just couldn't find a cheap enough cruise to Alaska for summer 2011. I searched and searched. The cruises were expensive (especially since we like the privacy of balconies) and the airfare from the East Coast was outrageous - even with the discount airlines. I just gave up and we are sailing to the Bahamas from Charleston instead.

Oh well, any cruise is better than no cruise at all. :rolleyes:

Something I forgot to mention to help save money.....

Since we'll be in Skagway for 14 hours, we're going to rent a car from Avis for about $90. Then, using Murray's Guide we're going to drive up the South Klondike Highway to Emerald Lake. The road is heavily traveled, so in the event of car problems we'll be able to get help. The guide offers a mile-post by mile-post guide to the trip with recommendations on where to stop for photo ops.

At first we had thought about taking the White Pass & Yukon Railway, but decided to rent a car.

Since we'll be in Skagway for 14 hours, we're going to rent a car from Avis for about $90. Then, using Murray's Guide we're going to drive up the South Klondike Highway to Emerald Lake. The road is heavily traveled, so in the event of car problems we'll be able to get help. The guide offers a mile-post by mile-post guide to the trip with recommendations on where to stop for photo ops.

At first we had thought about taking the White Pass & Yukon Railway, but decided to rent a car.

We rented from Avis in Skagway and did this very same trip up into Canada. Reserve your car early online as you will see the Avis desk is in a motel room of a crappy motel with about 6 cars outside to rent. Nice little town and the scenery up to Emerald Lake is incredible.

We will be driving down an d have friends and relatives to stay with and park at .I have to pay for all that stuff when going to the caribbean but Alaska the only thing i need to pay for is gas and cruise. thesawch

this thread is of particular interest to me as a friend and I just today discussed taking a cruise to Alaska. It will without a doubt have to embark/debark in Seattle as we are locals.

Spirit (at least in 2011) will be beginning/ending on Tuesdays. Hmm that won't work for us. Princess doesn't seem too outrageously priced so we may have to give them a try. One of their ships (at least for 2011) begins and ends on Saturdays, which is perfect for us. I just hope Princess is as fun as Carnival!

this thread is of particular interest to me as a friend and I just today discussed taking a cruise to Alaska. It will without a doubt have to embark/debark in Seattle as we are locals.

Spirit (at least in 2011) will be beginning/ending on Tuesdays. Hmm that won't work for us. Princess doesn't seem too outrageously priced so we may have to give them a try. One of their ships (at least for 2011) begins and ends on Saturdays, which is perfect for us. I just hope Princess is as fun as Carnival!

Make sure you checkmark all possible discounts you may be eligible for i.e. state residency, military. sr. fares, past guest, etc.....

All alaskan cruises are expensive but Carnival is one of the best deals. We had oceanview for less than $700 for 1st 2 people... Spirit is a great ship and the cruise was amazing.

When did you book? i cant find anything lower than $759 for an inside room. Sounds like you got an awesome deal. Did you book through carnival?

I just compare NCl and carnival. The difference for inside room $56.84. I noticed the Gov't Taxes & Fees for 3 people on NCL is $511.40 on Carnival it's $318.24/ Why is there a difference.

We would love to cruise to Alaska but not sure if it will happen. We also need airfare so its a pricey vacation

The White Pass and Yukon was the highlight of our whole cruise experience. I highly recommend it!!

Archived