What to wear for embarkment?

deanswife1990

I was wondering the same thing.. We will be on our first cruise nov 28 out of baltimore so i am sure i wont have to worry about swim suits,,lol... I know i am going to want to be outside watching the boat leave baltimore so I am thinking jeans,, top and jacket... Nothing fancy but warm and comefortable!

We have seen some wearing their swim suits under casual wear. Usually your cabin will not be ready until about 1:30.

For us we embark as early as possible, grab some lunch and explore the ship----even if we've been on it several times before.

Charlie

I was wondering the same thing.. We will be on our first cruise nov 28 out of baltimore so i am sure i wont have to worry about swim suits,,lol... I know i am going to want to be outside watching the boat leave baltimore so I am thinking jeans,, top and jacket... Nothing fancy but warm and comefortable!

That's probably what you will see on every other passenger.

Charlie

Dress comfy and for the weather for that port at that time of the year. You're going to be lugging suitcases/carry-ons, waiting in lines, sitting in the waiting area, etc. Take something to change into in your carry-on if you think you'll want to change or use the pool before you get to your room and your luggage arrives.

The dress code (even in the MDR) on embark day is very casual.

Wear whatever you feel comfortable wearing for a while. You might not get your luggage right away, and if you eat early, you might be in those clothes for dinner.

I usually wear jeans and a comfy shirt, and carry a light jacket cos the public rooms are kept at bone-chilling temps!

I wear my swimsuit under a sundress or shorts....(assuming we arrived a day early and were at a hotel!--I wouldn't wear it on a flight if I was arriving the same day!!)...

That way, I don't have to find somewhere to change.

I'm not interested in eating being my first activity! We board and head to the pool!

I typically wear a sundress, casual skirt and tank top or something similar. I basically go for cute and casual but comfortable for a lot of standing and walking around. I've never actually swam on embarkation day because even though one of the pools tends to be open and I get on as early as possible, by the time I get onboard, get lunch and a drink, drop off my carryons and explore the ship a bit, there's not that much time before the muster drill. After that is sailaway and then dinner. If I want to, I can always dip my feet into the water or something.

I do bring different clothes for dinner in my carry on to change into so that I'm fresh for dinner and can wash up some anyway.

usually if we're leaving from one of our homeports here in California its a sweatshirt and jeans, its usually way too cold to even consider getting into a pool. I've only been in a pool on a cruise ship once or twice, we've visited the hot tubs a few times. We've been on many cruises, we just rarely swim in the pools, they're like public pools to me lol :p we always do our swimming off of the beaches so that we can snorkel and see the colorful fish.

usually if we're leaving from one of our homeports here in California its a sweatshirt and jeans, its usually way too cold to even consider getting into a pool. I've only been in a pool on a cruise ship once or twice, we've visited the hot tubs a few times. We've been on many cruises, we just rarely swim in the pools, they're like public pools to me lol :p we always do our swimming off of the beaches so that we can snorkel and see the colorful fish.

You do know what those fish do in that water, right?!:eek:

In answer to the OP's question - If we are leaving out of Miami, then depending on the time of year, we take a small backpack with us that has our swimming togs and change in the Spa area. LA - no way.... too chilly. We normally board dressed casually, but not in thongs and shorts. I guess if we were leaving from San Juan we might dress differently.

We always wear our swimsuits under our clothes. We love to sit on the Lido & watch all the people arrive. Sometimes, especially for first time cruisers they like to wear dressier casual for the embarkation pictures. Also a good idea to split up clothes between the suitcases in case one of them comes late & you'd like to change for dinner.

I wear onto the ship what I plan to wear leaving the ship. Same for my DH---makes for one less outfit to plan/pack.

Also, since we generally travel 2-5 hours the day we set sail (longer when we head home) the clothes are comfortable and port/climate appropriate.

The same goes for me. Take a decent sized back pack along with you during your embarkation. That way you can hit up your room rather quickly change if you need to, and hit the deck to explore/eat. Then catch the sail out, then from there it is all fun and sun... I however, usually dont use the pools, Not that I wouldnt, its just to crowded for my tastes. The hot tubs are a different story though.

What do most of you wear for embarkment? Do you already have your swimsuits on or do you have them packed in your carryones and change once you are on the ship?

Depends on what time of year we cruise. We usually go in January and the weather is still cool outside. So I wear long pants and a sweater. We're cruising again towards the end of October, so I'll probably wear shorts and a T-shirt, tennis shoes....casual. I don't bring my swim suit with the carry on, too much other stuff to do than go jump in the hot tub or pool on the first day of embarkation.

Depends on what time of year we cruise. We usually go in January and the weather is still cool outside. So I wear long pants and a sweater. We're cruising again towards the end of October, so I'll probably wear shorts and a T-shirt, tennis shoes....casual. I don't bring my swim suit with the carry on, too much other stuff to do than go jump in the hot tub or pool on the first day of embarkation.

I agree with you....too much other stuff to do......Check out most of ship...talk to people and sail-a-way. Plus the first night you don't need to get dressed up for dinner. I have never wanted to swim on the first day. Not that there is anything wrong with wanting to.

IMHO the most important thing to remember is that you'll do a lot of standing and walking your first day on board and during the boarding process. Depending on your ship and port it can take an hour or more just to get to the check in counter. If your carry on bags are heavy, you might be lugging them around for several hours before you can drop them off at your cabin. Make sure you have comfortable shoes that won't wear your feet out.

If you're unsure what you want to do once you board the ship, slip an alternate outfit in your carry on if possible.

Watch the weather reports! You can always wear layers if need be.

What do most of you wear for embarkment? Do you already have your swimsuits on or do you have them packed in your carryones and change once you are on the ship?

I usually wear jeans and a long sleeve tshirt. We usually cruise in dec/jan though!;)

It depends on whether we are on a same-day flight or stay at a hotel the day before.

If I go on the same day as my flight, it would likely be a polo shirt and jeans. If I go to Alaska again, probably a sweatshirt or fleece shirt as well. If from the hotel, likely a cruise/Hawaiian shirt and shorts. I do not wear my swimsuit on embarkment day because I would have lunch in the Lido deck first, then walk around and get my soda card before settling in the cabin for a while.

We have been cruising recently in winter, I wear the heaviest stuff on that day, ie, sneakers, or walking shoes, sweater, long sleeve shirt, jeans(it's also what I will need to head back home in on the last day) When we sailed out of Tampa in January it was wet, cold and yucky! Lucky me, I for once was dressed correctly! It didn't warm up until we woke up pulling into Cayman.

Remember, it's always cooler on the water, when the ship is moving.:)

Archived