How rough are the seas sailing out of Bayonne in January down to the Caribbean?

We are thinking of booking the Explorer of the Seas 14nt cruise sailing Jan 2nd, 2011 out of Bayonne, NJ but I am wondering if some people who have sailed out of NJ in the winter can tell me how rough the seas will be heading down to the Caribbean?

From reading some other threads it sounds like the weather will be cold the first day at sea and the last day at sea which I am fine with. I just hope the seas are not super rough.

This cruise is CHEAP!! $1,182 for a balcony after all taxes and fees when you apply the C&A certificate. That's an amazing price for a 14 night cruise!

Hi, yes they are great prices! We are going on the Explorer 11/7 for a 12 nighter doing almost the same itinerary as we did this past November. The first day and 1/2, it is quite cold and windy and you really can't be outside. Late day on the 2nd, it warms up a little, but we felt certainly not swimming weather. Sat outside for a bit, even with the wind.

The last 2 seas days are definitely inside days!!! You could have a little rough seas, but not too terrible. You could also have very calm seas. No way to tell. Don't let that stop you. However, it is too cold and windy for outside. You'll be OK the first sea day back as you are coming from warm weather.

In spite of this, I think you'll have a great cruise!!! We wanted to change from 11/7, but because we are all paid in full, we can't. We'd have to lose the deposit since it is in the penalty frame. Oh well. We did this 14 night November on NCL, but flew back from Miami to NY. It was OK...So, I don't feel that bad as we've seen these ports and a couple that are not on this January itinerary.

Have a wonderful cruise! Book it and I'm sure you'll be glad you did!

Safe travels.

We live in the Hudson Valley and most winters do a cruise from NY or NJ. We have left in snow storms and also in 70 degree weather. Seas are usually fine until you get to North Carolina area and then they get rough for a day. We have seen 25-35 ft waves with gale force winds and also have had smooth sailing most of the way. But in the scheme of things, how many days you are cruising, 1 day there and back rough is not all that bad. We will be going 1/2/11 for 14 days and 2 days of rough seas will be fine. Have a couple of extra drinks, it will offset the waves!!!!

Hi: Yes cruising can be smooth or rough at any time, especially starting from the Atlantic and returning there. There are 2 sail days down, 1 sail day in the middle of Port days and 3 sail days back through the Atlantic again! It's not just 1 day down and 1 day back...but we survived this past November for 14 days and we will enjoy this November for 12 Nigts!

East LOTS OF GREEN APPLES, if you feel at all uncomfortable..Tested, tried and Very true!!!! Even ate them on our Bermuda cruise just this last week!

Safe sails all!!

I'm interested in this thread, since we are planning to be on the exact same cruise! (Wife's BD).

I'm fine with a day or two of cold and stormy seas on the way down and back, I'm just wondering what the weather is like in the Caribbean. I haven't been down there in 'winter' before. Doesn't it just get slightly less warm and more rainy? One can still enjoy beaches and what not?

I'm interested in this thread, since we are planning to be on the exact same cruise! (Wife's BD).

I'm fine with a day or two of cold and stormy seas on the way down and back, I'm just wondering what the weather is like in the Caribbean. I haven't been down there in 'winter' before. Doesn't it just get slightly less warm and more rainy? One can still enjoy beaches and what not?

It will probably be quite warm. Maybe not super high 80's, but wonderful. and beaches will be fine...Less humidity also....Go and enjoy!

We have taken the last two 14 night Explorer Holiday cruises out of Bayonne, same as yours except more then twice the price because they are double holiday sailings.

At the worst, which is what you are asking about, you're looking at extreme conditions. In Jan 2009, on NYs Eve, there were 60 knot gale winds blowing across the decks and the waves were high. I thought there were a lot of drunken women since many of them were really stumbling around the Promenade at 1 AM and it was NY Eve. Then I realized it was the shaking of the ship. We went up to our cabin as the ship was shaking and lurching, to get our storm coats, and to go out on the pool deck. We heard a crashing in the hallway and realized that it was the service carts banging against each other in their storage rooms.

We finally went out on deck, along with 4 other crazy people and lurched around holding on for deal life because Force 10 winds are strong and we were high up. Nobody wanted to volunteer to climb up to the jogging deck.:eek:

After one minute, we all thought time to go back in so we slid along the railing and went back in. The carts kept crashing for another 20 minutes. This was on the next to last night so I guess we were near the Carolinas.

Then, on the next cruise, it was very cold as we left Bayonne on the first night. Everybody was walking around the Promenade wearing jackets, sweatshirts, etc. because the electric eye doors were not turned off so as people walked by them, they would open and close letting cold and wind in. Finally, the crew turned the electric eyes off and roped the deck 4 doors closed. It started to warm up. We ate late dinner in heavy sweaters.

The OP is from Minnesota so is used to cold and wintry weather.

The way I look at it, we have lots of stories to tell.

Hi: Yes cruising can be smooth or rough at any time, especially starting from the Atlantic and returning there. There are 2 sail days down, 1 sail day in the middle of Port days and 3 sail days back through the Atlantic again! It's not just 1 day down and 1 day back...but we survived this past November for 14 days and we will enjoy this November for 12 Nigts!

East LOTS OF GREEN APPLES, if you feel at all uncomfortable..Tested, tried and Very true!!!! Even ate them on our Bermuda cruise just this last week!

Safe sails all!!

I wasn't stating that it was only 1 sea day down and back. I was stating that 1 day, each way, out of however many sea days there are down and back would or could be rough around North Carolina area. This is only from my personal experiences over the last 5 or so years which in no way reflects all cruises that go out of NY/NJ in the winter, only the cruises I have been on.

The OP is from Minnesota so is used to cold and wintry weather.

Yes indeed! A little cold and wind doesn't even compare to the brutal winters we have here in MN. :)

I can't wait for this cruise! We are thinking of going to NYC early on Dec 31st to do the whole Times Square New Years Eve experience. That would be awesome!

I wasn't stating that it was only 1 sea day down and back. I was stating that 1 day, each way, out of however many sea days there are down and back would or could be rough around North Carolina area. This is only from my personal experiences over the last 5 or so years which in no way reflects all cruises that go out of NY/NJ in the winter, only the cruises I have been on.

My apology! I must have misread what you were saying..Bad or not, we still take our chances and cruise.

Safe sails and again, Sorry....

Yes indeed! A little cold and wind doesn't even compare to the brutal winters we have here in MN. :)

I can't wait for this cruise! We are thinking of going to NYC early on Dec 31st to do the whole Times Square New Years Eve experience. That would be awesome!

Not to mention Rockefeller Center and Plaza, with the Tree, Saks 5th Avenue, etc.

Times Square on New Years Eve !! :eek::eek:

And you are worried about the seas ??? :D:D

We were on the EOS for a 9 night cruise this past March and we had rough seas going down ( including a 12 degree list ) and some rough seas coming back ( 20-25 foot swells). Explorer handled everthing with ease and apart from a few quesy people we had a great time.

Archived