How rough are the seas sailing out of Bayonne in January down to the Caribbean?

We are thinking of booking the Explorer of the Seas 14nt cruise sailing Jan 2nd, 2011 out of Bayonne, NJ but I am wondering if some people who have sailed out of NJ in the winter can tell me how rough the seas will be heading down to the Caribbean?

From reading some other threads it sounds like the weather will be cold the first day at sea and the last day at sea which I am fine with. I just hope the seas are not super rough.

This cruise is CHEAP!! $1,182 for a balcony after all taxes and fees when you apply the C&A certificate. That's an amazing price for a 14 night cruise!

We are thinking of booking the Explorer of the Seas 14nt cruise sailing Jan 2nd, 2011 out of Bayonne, NJ but I am wondering if some people who have sailed out of NJ in the winter can tell me how rough the seas will be heading down to the Caribbean?

From reading some other threads it sounds like the weather will be cold the first day at sea and the last day at sea which I am fine with. I just hope the seas are not super rough.

This cruise is CHEAP!! $1,182 for a balcony after all taxes and fees when you apply the C&A certificate. That's an amazing price for a 14 night cruise!

Depends on the wind & weather.

All depends on the weather and that changes every day.

We did it in January a few years ago, it was fine. It was chilly for a day and half and then it warmed up. All depends on the weather, we had good weather for our visit to NYC days before the cruise.

We loved this cruise, have a good one!!!!:)

One Question, are you going to cancel the EPIC?

I must agree with my fellow posters, it is a "crap shoot". When we did the cruise in May we had a few hours of rough sea due to a storm, other than that it was great. I'll let you know if we hit any nasty stuff next week.

I wasn't asking about the temperature per say, I realize it's the middle of winter in NJ. I am more concerned with how rough the seas are in the Atlantic at that time of year.

Yes we are going to cancel the Epic cruise. We can do this two week cruise for less than the price of that one cruise.

We sailed on January 2 out of Bayonne in 2009. It was gently snowing when we pulled out of port. The seas were not bad. Rougher than we'd experienced before, but not at all bad. There was definitely alot of sway, and I could tell that some fellow cruisers didn't find it amusing, but DH and I loved it. Like being rocked to sleep at night.

The only disadvantage I see is that you need to pack some clothing for both climates.

I loved it, though.

Rachel

I wasn't asking about the temperature per say, I realize it's the middle of winter in NJ. I am more concerned with how rough the seas are in the Atlantic at that time of year.

Yes we are going to cancel the Epic cruise. We can do this two week cruise for less than the price of that one cruise.

Even if the first 2 or last 2 days are a little rough, you should be fine.

Last week we were on the Monarch. We were around 150 miles from Hurricane Earl, and on the tail end of Danielle.

From the bridge and engine control room tours, we could see that the sea day on the return trip was almost calm. A little rocky for a few hours here and there but from looking at the weather maps, you would have expected much worse.

We have sailed on the Explorer each January for the last three years. In fact, we are booked on the 14 NT cruise on January 2, 2011. We thought it was an amazing deal. We've never had a balcony cabin before, so when we saw the prices for 14 nights, we jumped at the opportunity. Anyway, back to your actual question. We've never noticed the seas being rough. I guess if you are sensitive to movement, it may be a bit bothersome. My mother occasionally has trouble with her balance, so she grabbed the rail a couple of times, but otherwise, it really wasn't bad at all. Now, I don't know if anyone mentioned it in this thread, but it will be the middle of winter. (Ha! Ha!)

You got an amazing deal on an amazing ship...totally agree you could have calm or rough seas....but our past three january trips have all be a little rough going down and coming back. Nothing a little dramamine and ginger didn't fix. Enjoy!!!

Yes, it is definitely winter here in NY, and be as low as 10 degrees or 30-40 degrees! great price, though! Lots to do in the inside of the ship for sailing out and sailing back in. We just came off of her, and you will never be bored! Have never sailed out of NY in the winter. Expect an almost frozen river at that time of the year! Have lived in the NY/NJ all of my life! You should try and come in the day before the cruise in case it snows, you won't miss the ship!

As previously posted, the first two and last two days are spent inside. We sailed during Thanksgiving, and the seas were'nt rough, but the air was chilly. We wore shorts with a sweatshirt or light jacket when we ventured out. They were people in the hottubs and pools on the first day.

You are familiar with the phrase, you get what you pay for, right :eek:

###

Its usually very rocky since the captain has to swerve the ship around huge Icebergs......;)

All kidding aside; it all depends on the weather at that time. The Atlantic is know to be kinda rough, but the Caribbean should be calm. Again, it all depends on the weather at that time. If someone could predict the seas and weather, they would be rich.

We have sailed out of NJ 3 times on the Explorer. Two were no problem but the third was quite memorable. 30 foot waves and wind gusts over 80 knots. The ship closed off all outside decks. In the morning the covers from the hot tubs were gone as was part of the carpeting by the pool. The ship’s photographers made up a special 5x7 called stormy weather. We were up in the crown lounge and watched the waves breaking over the front of the ship.

I grew up here on the coast and have gone fishing as far out as the canyon since I was a youngster, year round. Some of the best fishing is during the winter.

It is no secret that the North Atlantic is more rough than the warmer months. That does not mean you will hit bad seas, there are days it will be smooth. But the chances are greater in the winter for rough seas until you get past the outer banks.

Plus, our area is notorious for "Nor'Easters" which can happen very frequently. Very nasty!

We have sailed out of NY a few times in the winter months and we never hit anything too drastic. You actually get the worst of it when you get around the Carolina's...and by worst I do not mean bad in any way...the only part I hate about that cruise is the first 2 days down and back are too cold to enjoy the decks and the pools but on a 14 nighter that is a small fraction of your cruise so I would go for it...actually I am going to go check it out and see what is up with it and see what hubby thinks!

Wow, what a great price! I have it as $1445 (RI) w/out a C&A certificate...have a great time:D

p.s. we are going in December-will come back and let you know how the first and last sea day was;)

I don't blame you a couple of possible rought days at sea would beat flying for me. However as myself and other posters have said you just cant tell and it just might be a great flat ride. I say go for it!

We live in the Hudson Valley and most winters do a cruise from NY or NJ. We have left in snow storms and also in 70 degree weather. Seas are usually fine until you get to North Carolina area and then they get rough for a day. We have seen 25-35 ft waves with gale force winds and also have had smooth sailing most of the way. But in the scheme of things, how many days you are cruising, 1 day there and back rough is not all that bad. We will be going 1/2/11 for 14 days and 2 days of rough seas will be fine. Have a couple of extra drinks, it will offset the waves!!!!

We generally have "rougher weather" around here (I'm in Southwestern CT, just outside of NYC) in the winter than the Summer. That said... I don't see how it would be any rougher than taking a cruise out of FL during storm season... I will say this though, I took a Caribbean cruise in January and the weather in the Caribbean was horrible. Rain, rain and rain. And when it wasn't raining it was overcast.

Archived