Azipod problems on the Star,

kingrobby25

Friend is cruising onboard and texted me to say they were late to Ketchikan and they may miss Juneau due to azipod problems. Divers have been under the boat, but he didnt have anymore info than that.

Oh, crud. I was hoping against hope that was not the reason for their being late into Ketchikan this morning. Been there, done that, don't want to do it again.

Seems to be an epidemic going on 3 NCL ships with azipod problems all at the same time.

I'll agree that 3 NCL ships are having propulsion problems, but not 3 with azipod problems unless there's another ship having problems I'm not aware of.;)

Azipod problems = Jewel and Star; Diesel problems = Dawn.

So what's going on? Coincidence, or does NCL push their maintenance intervals too far?

I don't know. but I have no doubt whatsoever that they can hear my very unladylike language right now all the way from Miami. I have to call them about another issue tomorrow morning, anyway, so you can bet I am going to grill them on this one, too.

Geez... NCL can't get ahead at this point. Didn't they sue the manufacturer not too long ago or was that another cruise line? I would have hoped in the settlement that they got an upgrade at least to a model without these design issues. :)

I know that X sued Rolls Royce over THEIR azipods, but don't believe that NCL sued the maker of theirs.

The Star just had a drydock during the Vancouver Olympics, remember she was supposed to be a floating hotel for the Games but then it was canceled so they put it in drydock early in Vancouver. I do know a lot of work was done on the Starboard azipod, not sure about the port one.

The Star just had a drydock during the Vancouver Olympics, remember she was supposed to be a floating hotel for the Games but then it was canceled so they put it in drydock early in Vancouver. I do know a lot of work was done on the Starboard azipod, not sure about the port one.

And that work was done in Victoria, which is close, but, IIRC, they have to order parts from somewhere in Europe, and it can take months for them to arrive. They don't just carry around spare parts for them.

Geez... NCL can't get ahead at this point. Didn't they sue the manufacturer not too long ago or was that another cruise line? I would have hoped in the settlement that they got an upgrade at least to a model without these design issues. :)

something similar happens to Celebrtiy about 3 years ago (I think about 3) it seemed all ther millinium class ships were having problems at once or within a few months of each other.

Nita

You are very welcome. Now I wish that they would just hurry up and make some decisions about the balance of the Alaska season. But I'm not going to hold my breath until I turn blue.:eek:

Not recommended... that is holding your breath... it took them a few weeks to get the Boston drydock lined up for the Jewel anyway. I don't know if NCL has actually confirmed a problem with the Star too or has it just been on guest reports right now? :cool:

Here's hoping it all gets worked out soon. I see you are very close to sailing. I doubt NCL would be able to get drydock space that fast to cancel your sailing. They might even wait until the season is completely over before doing (like the Canada/New England runs with the Jewel).

Not recommended... that is holding your breath... it took them a few weeks to get the Boston drydock lined up for the Jewel anyway. I don't know if NCL has actually confirmed a problem with the Star too or has it just been on guest reports right now? :cool:

Here's hoping it all gets worked out soon. I see you are very close to sailing. I doubt NCL would be able to get drydock space that fast to cancel your sailing. They might even wait until the season is completely over before doing (like the Canada/New England runs with the Jewel).

It's based on what pax aboard now have been told by the Captain. They are missing Sawyer Glacier, for Endicott: getting into Juneau at 2 pm rather than 6 am today; unknown changes for SGY as of yet; and missing Prince Rupert altogether. They are also cruising at about 12 knots, rather than the usual 20-21.

It's based on what pax aboard now have been told by the Captain. They are missing Sawyer Glacier, for Endicott: getting into Juneau at 2 pm rather than 6 am today; unknown changes for SGY as of yet; and missing Prince Rupert altogether. They are also cruising at about 12 knots, rather than the usual 20-21.

Oh wow... that's some serious speed issues with 12 knots. :eek: I wonder just how fast NCL could get drydock space??

Anyway you could check in with Vancouver to see what space they have there?

Oh wow... that's some serious speed issues with 12 knots. :eek: I wonder just how fast NCL could get drydock space??

They would have to go to Victoria, which is where they had the recent dry dock work done earlier this year. And I understand that they did some azipod work at that time (the starboard one that had the problems before????). It would depend on whether or not they have a major project going on right now or not.

12 knots? I'll bet they'll need a whole extra day (Leave early) to get home. Between Seattle and AK, the Pearl was going 25 knots, according to the hotel director, anyway.

One would think if you are willing to spend enough money, drydock space could be found mighty fast.

Oh boy, if someone comes back to post and is angry and disappointed, the board is going to be in for it again..........

Archived