Denali shuttle day - Breakfast? Lunch?

ceejay_San Angelo

Our party will include 2 HUNGRY men and 2 HARD-to-FILL-up teenagers. What have you done for breakfast and lunch on the day of the all-day shuttle trip into Denali?

We're doing the 8hr tour to Fish Creek, leaving at 6am. Will be coming from 6 mi south of the park, Cedar's Lodge.

Are there any restaurants close to the Park entrance that are open for an early b'fast and that might make sandwiches, etc for lunch?

I'm not 100% sure, I believe that we headed into the park on a 6 am (or earlier) bus. We were staying at the Princess Lodge and grabbed breakfast and ordered a packed lunch at a counter-restaurant at the hotel. In fact, I picked up some coffee at that place before my girlfriend had even made it out of bed ... without the coffee, she wasn't getting out of bed.

Are you driving there??? If so, pick up stuff in Wasilla at Fred Meyer, Walmart or Safeway. I took in a 4 pack of muffins, loaf of bread, peanut butter and jelly - don't forget a plastic knife. :) Bag of chips, cooler full of drinks, cookies. Yes indeed a buffet. Some lodgings have bag lunches and breakfasts for purchase. Or you could order from one in Glitter Gulch?? As a suggestion- you will want to be in line a half hour before AT LEAST to get those great front driver's side seats.

When we were there in late August, we had a 6:30 or so bus. We were also staying south of the park at the Perch. Since we were a little later than you, we got coffee in their pizza parlor at 6 and ate muffins in car on way to the Park. For main food, we went to Subway the night before and had two sandwiches prepared. They were nice enough to put all the cold wet stuff like lettuce, tomatos, etc in baggies for us so we wouldn't have soggy roll by the next day. This worked great. We took a 12 pack size soft cooler in with all our food,fruit, snacks, drinks, water and had no problem. This was in addition to tons of camera gear, coats, etc. We were lucky enough to have only about 16-20 people on our bus to start with. so most had seat to themselves.

We got to the park in 15 minutes or less and were ready to go in plenty of time. We were one of the first on bus. In fact a bus left right before us but wasn't going to Wonder Lake as ours was. Enjoy, take lots of snacks, fruit. And most important, lots of film, digital cards, batteries so we can see all your pictures!!!

Thanks for your replies. We will have a car and had already planned on stocking up on "snackables" for our 2 week land itinerary, so it will be easy to get PB&J, jerky, fruit, etc for b'fast and lunch. Somehow the thought of a sub sandwich prepared the night before just doesn't sound appetizing..........

It sounds like we will be carrying the entire cupboards in with us, but it's nice to hear that others have carried in a "buffet" also! Since I have heard such terrible reports on Princess coffee, I had already planned on carrying an immersion heater coil and Melita drip filter cup, or maybe a travel coffee pot - will come in handy for that 5am cup of Starbucks!!!

And thanks BQ for the advice of 1/2 hr before departure time.......

Archived