Best Way to Make Sure Fan is OK with Carnival

Ithocles

Hello All,

On my previous cruises, we've been able to bring our fan with no problems. However, the new rules make me a bit nervous. We want to stay within the guidelines set by Carnival and still have the pleasure of sleeping with our fan, which I've done for years and years. If I buy a fan and power strip while in Miami, and leave the packaging intact and have a copy of the receipt, do you think this will be the best way to make sure it is okay with Carnival? I'd probably leave them with the porter in our luggage to have them checked in that way. I know this is probably subjective with both you all and with the people who will check us in on the cruise, but I'd like any advice from you that have cruised since the rule was implemented.

Thanks,

Danny

Since they are not allowed, new or used ...leaving them in the package does nothing to get around the rule.

Host Mach posted that if you put a note on them that they are medically necessary, they will allow them. I would carry them on and have a note and explantion ready.

Carnival will allow your fan as long as it doesn't present a hazard. The small travel fans don't seem to have been an issue since the new rules were released.

I'd recommend packing it in your carry on bag rather than your checked bag.

:)

Hello Fire - That's what I thought at first too. After reading the FAQ, which I found posted here on CC (thanks all) it sounded like you could bring them as long as they weren't hazardous. The FAQ says "Electrical devices such as fans, power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords will be removed if determined to pose a hazard and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark." If I can bring them, I want to make sure they aren't hazardous as defined by Carnival.

-Danny

Carnival will allow your fan as long as it doesn't present a hazard. The small travel fans don't seem to have been an issue since the new rules were released.

I'd recommend packing it in your carry on bag rather than your checked bag.

:)

I also would agree with carry on, at least you will have the chance to defend your fan, if it is in question.

If it is below deck, you only get a letter if it looses.

If it is to big to carry on, it is to big to bring with.

Then I would make sure it is off and unplugged when not in the room, so it is not a fire hazard.

This varies and "the new and in good repair" means nothing. I lost a brand new extension cord merely because I then had the POTENTIAL to plug many things in. Even though we only planned to get the computer closer to the bed so we could watch a movie in bed on the computer. The bottom line is you will lose it if they want to take and they will fall back on the (too much wattage) Go the route with the note as Mach said and LOCK your luggage. They cannot open it and if it gets busy, (they do and will cut zip ties) we find they don't sweat the small stuff. Pray for many liquor smugglers on your cruise with locked luggage. They have to call all those people to the naughty room (which is why they want your luggage unlocked) and as time gets short, they start to cull the bags with "not much in them" and just send them on. An unlocked suitcase means there is no way for you to appeal anything as they have already gone through your suitcase, took it and left a note. At least if it is locked, you could explain it and probably stop them from taking it for the duration of the cruise.

Archived