Southampton info park/hotel

Single Cruiser

As this board is most likely to have the Southampton experts hope you don't mind me asking?

How reliable is the train service into Soton. Was thinking of driving down but in Dec the 4+ hrs would definitely require a hotel stop-over not allowing for adverse weather.

I hadn't realised the port parking costs were so high! About 3 times cost of equivalent airport parking which leaves the hotel/park packages. Any recommendations?

Also if I caught the train down is there any hotels within walking distance of the city terminal, so just one taxi station to hotel.

Would be interested to see what those from mids/north do. Dare I risk train am of departure day? 06:50 nottm into soton by 11:00!

Can't give you any info on the trains as we always drive down but if you want to drive down to S,ton. Book a hotel and stay the night before (you don't even have to stay!) and then leave your car in one of their car parks, which is cheaper for a 15 night stay than parking in the terminal car park, usually costs £79 - £99 at Ibis / Novotel or Holiday Inn. Some offer free transport to the terminal.

Just to note the queues to get into the port parking area are horrendous and can take an hour + in traffic, parking at a hotel means the driver takes the back streets into the dock and saves all the queueing in traffic, which takes out all the hasstle.

We are fom Staffordshire and we always used to drive down the night before and stay at Eastleigh Holiday Inn which transported us to the docks and gave us parking for the duration of the cruise. We did this for about 10 years but it started to get expensive. We now catch the coach (Evesway) and this is much cheaper and you have no driving to do either! The driver puts your cases on board and you see them again outside your cabin door. You also have the added advantage that the ship will wait for a coach full of people if there are any traffic problems but not for individuals! We sit back, relax and start our hols! You can get chatting to other passengers too and so see familiar faces around the ship during the cruise!

On our last 3 cruises we have taken the train down to Southampton the day before. Really cheap even in 1st class if you book 12 weeks before. We stay at the Novotel which is just over the road from the station, just walk across the road. Taxi to the terminal in the morning and the good thing is the taxi sails past the cars queuing up and drops you off at the top of the queue.

On our last 3 cruises we have taken the train down to Southampton the day before. Really cheap even in 1st class if you book 12 weeks before. We stay at the Novotel which is just over the road from the station, just walk across the road. Taxi to the terminal in the morning and the good thing is the taxi sails past the cars queuing up and drops you off at the top of the queue.

Now that sounds good. Save any driving hassle and can have a drink on the train etc..

We usually come down by train, and stay in one of the 3 hotels opposite the station- Novotel, Ibis or Etap. They're all owned by the same company. Etap is basic, very cheap, but our room overlooked MacDonald's, and the youth of the town all seemed to gather there around 1am, and were still singing and smashing bottles at 3am....

The other 2 are further up the car park, so it's back to them next time. You can do park and stay at the Novotel, for you drivers.

We roll our luggage across the road to the hotel- no problems.

This June, we actually rolled it all the way to Ocean terminal, stopping at shops on the way, and taking a drink into Mayflower Park to see the ships. It was a pleasant way to fill the morning. We were early at the terminal, but the shore staff don't mind, and we were amongst the first on the ship.

We have a basic breakfast in MacDonald's- porridge and a bacon sandwich- very cheap, but enough for us.

Coming home, we always self- disembark, and catch the earliest train north-using a taxi. This time, we caught the 8.15am one.

Jo.

We mostly use Eavesway or take advantage of the free parking.

However, the Holiday Inn on Herbert Walker Avenue does a cruise, stay& park package, as does the Holiday Inn Express Southampton West but their parking is with Cruise Parking and involves a minibus transfer.The car is held in a secure site, just as with CPS, the usual cruise parking company used by P&O.

Used each of these just once and had no problem, but really prefer CPS, it's far easier.

All the advice you have been given so far is quite valid and would apply if travelling from anywhere in UK. However, if you are coming from London and really want to make a saving consider the Greyhound UK coach service from Victoria (Bulleid Way).

This really is the cheapest form of travel with very comfortable seats, plenty of leg room, free WiFi, power and toilets. Direct London to Southampton. Three stops in Southampton, the last being Town Quay right at the port and convenient for all the hotels. Hope this helps.

Seats bookable on their Greyhound UK web site.

Best,

Joshua's Gramps

Joshua's Gramps - When Greyhound first started the route it looked good but when I researched recently the first coach (Monday to Friday) does not depart London until noon - a bit late if ship departs 4.30 ish and you wish to be there for lunch. I am mystified as to why they have coaches departing Soton early morning but not the other way. National Express on the other hand runs 24/7 and its funfares are cheap but only bookable online.

Joshua's Gramps - When Greyhound first started the route it looked good but when I researched recently the first coach (Monday to Friday) does not depart London until noon - a bit late if ship departs 4.30 ish and you wish to be there for lunch. I am mystified as to why they have coaches departing Soton early morning but not the other way. National Express on the other hand runs 24/7 and its funfares are cheap but only bookable online.

Fair comment 2irisheyes, must admit that I thought that 7.10 London arrival would have provided an earlier return service to Southampton. Greyhound have recently re-scheduled and lost mid-afternoon departures. Obviously service would only now help if you were intending to stay at a Southampton hotel overnight. Shame National Express don't provide the same calibre of coach as Greyhound!

Best Joshua's gramps.

Re - Greyhound compared to National Express compared to the train service.

We are intending at the moment to use the train - primarily because of the baggage restrictions on the coaches. My understanding is that they restrict to 1 bag per person - whereas , as far as I know, there is no restriction (apart from our physical abilities) on the train??

Barry

Archived