Cancelled Flights

danimal

Except for a fully refundable fare, its highly unlikely you can get a refund. If you get into the tariff rules you will most likely find that you bought transportation between two or more points on a specific airline, not specific flights per se. I have found however that if there is a schedule or equipment change that forces the airline to rebook you on different flights, they have always been more than willing to change the dates and flights they put me on during the rebooking. When things like this happen and its not that uncommon, they just try and get everyone rebooked on something that will get them to their destinations as near to the date and time originally booked. So if what they put you on doesn't work, do some homework, find some flights that will work best and then give the airline a call and explain why the new flights they put you on don't work. Trying for anything else including a refund will probably be futile as you are sure to run into that "fine print" thing

This happened to me last week. I was booked on a non stop flight with northwest and they canceled my non stop flight and put me on the flight closest to the same time but with a connection. I called and asked them if I could cancel if the times didn't work with my schedule now and they said no problem and gave me a full refund without any arguements. My flight was a non refundable flight and was low priced but the rep said if they cancel my original flight I booked that I was eligible for a full refund. I think you have to call within a few days of the change notification. Good Luck to you!

If the airline cancels your flight and puts you on another, you can demand (and get) a refund. Or demand they put you on another flight that works better for you. I forget the rule, but they have no choice but to do so. Not many people know this.....

If the airline cancels your flight and puts you on another, you can demand (and get) a refund. Or demand they put you on another flight that works better for you. I forget the rule, but they have no choice but to do so. Not many people know this.....

If the times are more than 90 minutes difference you are also entitled to a refund.

Steve

That's only if they cancel the flight on the day of travel and can't get you out on the same day. It's called Rule 240. They have to put you on another airliune if possible, or give you a refund. Also, Rule 240 only applies if the cancellation isn't weather-related. Since almost all same-day cancellations are weather-related, it doesn't get applied very often.

That said, if the airline changes your schedule ahead of time by more than 90 minutes or so, generally they will happily change it again to whatever schedule suits you. It's a great way to get out of paying the $100 change fee and fare difference.

What is it with American changing so many flights lately? Ours was changed last week. At least they kept it on a non-stop flight and not one of the one-stop over ones. If there is a 90 minute change in the flight times over what you originally scheduled, then you are entitled to a full refund (just found this out last week).

If you think American is bad... Delta just instituted the largest-ever airline schedule change on February 1st, when they de-hubbed Dallas/Ft. Worth.

Airlines change their schedules around every 3-4 months as a rule. If you book farther ahead than that you're very likely to see flight changes. As I've mentioned before, if you're flexible it can be a positive thing. if your flights change by more than 60-90 minutes, the change fee and fare difference won't have to be paid if you choose to change your flights.

I booked air with my cruise for 12/25/05 to San Juan. I thought that I could also check into air on my own. AA does offer good prices but I have heard from many that they do cancel flights. This happened to my cousin who was traveling to Bermuda and they weren't even notified the flight was cancelled. Is it better to book air with cruise or air seperate:confused:

I don't believe this is an American Airlines issue.....I think it stems across the board. This is one of the reasons that if you are flying to your port, it is best to fly in the day before (at LEAST the day before) and have travel insurance.

My daughter goes to school in KY...we live in Maine. She has not experienced one flight that was on schedule. She flies back and forth 3 to 4 times a year and has never had it go smoothly. My Dh travles quite a bit for work...same for him. Heck, the last time I flew with my DH, the two of us wound up stuck for 2 nights in Cincinnati. Travel by plane is just not reliable schedule-wise...but these days, I'm just happy to land safely...so I make sure that I have time to spare when flying to ease the stress.

Archived