Help with Kona for non-beach suggestions

cruznbelle

I'm at a loss for what to do in this port. DH has a bad knee (recovering from surgery) and cannot walk long distances and is not up for water activities. I have rented a car and was thinking of finding a nice casual place to go have lunch by the water but not sure a car is worth renting for just that. Any ideas? Should we just stay in port and save the $40 rental cost or should we attempt to meander along the coast? How is the Fairmount? (only reason for asking is we've stayed/stopped at several over the years - it's a bit of a quest now to see how many we can visit - but truely this is not a compelling need by any stretch).

Any suggestions appreciated....

Thanks

Cheryl

For Kona the ship doesn't tender too far from the pier and the staff will be more than helpful for you on/off the tender. Once at the pier your right in town with lots of stores, cafes, restaurants near by.

I would maybe research a restaurant along the waters edge there and just take a cab. Another suggestion would be to look into a ship wheelchair rental (if there is such a thing) as your on very flat land with good side walks.

Would your DH be able to leisurely stroll for about 5-10 minutes? If the answer is yes, then you can enjoy all that the little town of Kona has to offer along the waterfront. There are many restaurants to chose from, but the Kona Inn is really nice and sits right on the water. This place is great for just a drink or a leisurely lunch. Along the way you will pass several historical sights and have lots of photo ops. And, there are plenty of places to stop and rest and enjoy the water view along the way.

I have problems walking very far, so we have decided to take a tour with Roberts-Historic Kona Tour. I wanted to see some of the island and a bus tour is not taxing on my legs even if we have to get off now and again. The tour lasts 10-2:30 for $35 pp.

My DH had hip replacement surgery in December and we did the POA in April. He had just stopped using his cane a week before. We did the glass bottom boat in Kona. It was very nice. It was right at the tender pier. We then walked around the shops. Lunch was on the ship.

Thank you all very much! - yes DH can walk short distances and the Kona Inn sounds right up our alley ;) Given that we'll be in a car all day in Kuaui, I'm leaning strongly towards just winging it in port. I did mull a sail boat ride or the glass bottom boat - some of our best times have been when we simply play it by ear. I plan to reread my REVEAL book on Kona but unless something really compelling jumps out at me - we'll just make an adventure in port :D.

Thanks again,

Cheryl

Archived