Tampa Cruise Terminal

NikKasey

How convenient is Courtyard St. Petersburg to HAL pier? I've booked a good rate for a Jan. Ryndham sailing I'm consiering but if what I save will be spent in taxis to airport and to pier I might as well stay at Courtyard Tampa Downtown. Opinions?

I think you will be spending more in taxiis than if you stayed at one of the hotels within a half mile of the pier. I think the distance between St.Peter downtown and Tampa downtown is about 25 mile. That's a guess, however.

Not a different pier, just a "remodelled" facility according to this thread which I posted a while back:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1401323&highlight=tampa

I think that the "remodelled facility" is the original HAL pier. I believe the number is 6. HAL has been sailing for the past 3 years out of No. 3. (I may have the numbers confused, however.)

We went on Ryndam this past April. We live in Tampa, so of course it was very easy and fast for us. The terminal we left out of was very nice, however starting this fall the Ryndam will be leaving out of an older terminal that they have been renovating. The previous terminal will be used for the Norwegian Cruise line. They are starting cruises this fall to the Caribbean. Enjoy your cruise on the Ryndam. It is a lovely ship.

I think you will be spending more in taxiis than if you stayed at one of the hotels within a half mile of the pier. I think the distance between St.Peter downtown and Tampa downtown is about 25 mile. That's a guess, however.

Thanks and I'll take your educated guess for distance and opt for the Hyatt Regency Tampa which is downtown over the St. Pete Courtyard. :)

We went on Ryndam this past April. We live in Tampa, so of course it was very easy and fast for us. The terminal we left out of was very nice, however starting this fall the Ryndam will be leaving out of an older terminal that they have been renovating. The previous terminal will be used for the Norwegian Cruise line. They are starting cruises this fall to the Caribbean. Enjoy your cruise on the Ryndam. It is a lovely ship.

I will echo JKM151's opinion on the Ryndam. We have sailed on the Veendam, Zuiderdam, Statendam and Ryndam. I love the "S" class ships, and the Ryndam was the loveliest.

We will be on the Ryndam for a B2B on Dec 26. We have cruised from Tampa before and we stayed at a hotel with free parking. This time we will drive to the port. We noticed there is alternate parking at a place called Premier Parking, which is supposed to be only 200 yards from the cruise terminal. They offer the following: Pay $7.99 a day online, $12 a day when driving up versus $14 at the Port Garage.

Have any of you used this alternate parking?

So -- how far away from terminal 3 that HAL used in 2010 is this terminal 6?
About 700 meters (0.4 mile) north. Google map 1333 McKay St, 33602. Terminal 3 is at 815 Channelside Dr 33602

So -- how far away from terminal 3 that HAL used in 2010 is this terminal 6?

KK (and sail7seas),

We sailed the old Noordam (III) out of Tampa twice, once in the mid-90's and once in 2003. Memories fade (as I have demonstrated several times), and I honestly don't remember which terminal we used.

But, this winter (Feb. 2011), we sailed on Ryndam from Tampa. There were two piers operational -- Channelside, which the Carnival ship used, and the one just up the channel that we used. There was another obvious but unused terminal building further up the channel a few hundred yards, and a bit around a bend from Ryndam, and one of the port people told me it was the one that HAL would use in the future. It looked OK, but not as close to the parking garage as the others.

I look at it this way -- I prefer the terminal across from the garage in Ft. Lauderdale (pier 26), but when Noordam sailed from pier 29, I didn't cancel our cruise because I had to take a shuttle from the parking. I was about to embark a great HAL ship; what was a little bus ride?

Dave

We've flown out of Tampa two or three times in the last half dozen years...and LOVE the Tampa airport. Absolutely the most efficient airport...the best all the way around!

Once after we took our children/grandchildren to Disney and spent some time in FL afterward, and twice while emarking/disembarking from Port Everglades and visiting friends, post-cruise, Naples and Sarasota.

We're sailing again in '12 from/to Port Everglades, but I'm seriously considering the Ryndam from Tampa in January '13.

KK (and sail7seas),

We sailed the old Noordam (III) out of Tampa twice, once in the mid-90's and once in 2003. Memories fade (as I have demonstrated several times), and I honestly don't remember which terminal we used.

But, this winter (Feb. 2011), we sailed on Ryndam from Tampa. There were two piers operational -- Channelside, which the Carnival ship used, and the one just up the channel that we used. There was another obvious but unused terminal building further up the channel a few hundred yards, and a bit around a bend from Ryndam, and one of the port people told me it was the one that HAL would use in the future. It looked OK, but not as close to the parking garage as the others.

I look at it this way -- I prefer the terminal across from the garage in Ft. Lauderdale (pier 26), but when Noordam sailed from pier 29, I didn't cancel our cruise because I had to take a shuttle from the parking. I was about to embark a great HAL ship; what was a little bus ride?

Dave

I believe that Pier 6 has its own parking area. At least, it used to.

We, as residents of Tampa, were forced to find substitute housing for a couple of days while our house was being tented for termites. (Yes, they are here!) We have a cat, so we were looking for a pet friendly hotel. We found a wonderful hotel suites on the Causeway, overlooking Tampa Bay, which provides transportation to and from the piers, plus parking. The prices are extremely reasonable, and the suites are great. Check out the Chase Hotel Suites on the Courtney Campbell Causeway. Plus, you are near the water, and there are several good restaurants nearby, including the Chart House and Bahama Breeze. It is next door to the Tampa Airport - well, virtually next door.

KK (and sail7seas),

Dave

Back in the 90's when we sailed on the OLD Noordam we did use an old terminal -- can't remember if it was pier 6.

But in 2008 when we sailed on the Veendam we loved the new terminal 3 and were so glad that in 2010 for the Ryndam we were still at terminal 3.

We, as residents of Tampa, were forced to find substitute housing for a couple of days while our house was being tented for termites. (Yes, they are here!) We have a cat, so we were looking for a pet friendly hotel. We found a wonderful hotel suites on the Causeway, overlooking Tampa Bay, which provides transportation to and from the piers, plus parking. The prices are extremely reasonable, and the suites are great. Check out the Chase Hotel Suites on the Courtney Campbell Causeway. Plus, you are near the water, and there are several good restaurants nearby, including the Chart House and Bahama Breeze. It is next door to the Tampa Airport - well, virtually next door.

Termites -- bad situation. We live in a termite area as well - thankfully we have never had them but several of our neighbors have had to deal with them.

When we had the house damaged by the snow storm last year -- we did have the house checked for termites.

Every time we are in Tampa we stay at the Embassy Suites -- used to use the one near the airport but when the new one by the convention center opened -- we switched to that one.

I believe that Pier 6 has its own parking area. At least, it used to.
From the Google Earth picture dated 4/5/2010 it appears that there are large parking lots but no garage right there.

Archived