Drunks on Diets ??

pltag

recommends no more than 2-3 drinks for a man and no more than 1-2 for a woman. "
Oh, did you have to say the "E" word????? :eek::rolleyes::(
The "E" part has never been a problem for me ...... it's that pesky moderation part!! :D

Rum & Diet coke is carb free (as is all hard liquor), and only about 100 cals (assuming one shot). Mich Light has 4 carbs, 90 cals. Both of these drinks are only 2 points on Weight Watchers, if anyone follows that.

The ONLY way to lose weight is to burn more calories than you consume, whatever those calories are made of. THAT being said...for ME, I find that severely limiting carbs (particularly of the bread/grain group), the scale will budge easier.

Some people do better with a tight program...others do better when being allowed the things they love in moderation. You have to know what works for you. I don't do well when I have things I CAN'T eat (luckily I'm not a huge fan of carbs, except fruit--which seems to be fine for me), so I plan for the things I want.

There is the issue of drinking too much then eating too much...I find that as long as I have had dinner FIRST it is much easier to manage.

I think KKB has absolutely hit the nail on the head. It really is a personal thing as to what sort of diet works for any individual. For me an absolutely rigid diet works best, because I respond better to black and white rules as to what I can eat and what I can not eat. However, I also realize that, in this regard, I am very unusual, as most people can not stay on rigid diets and do much better on diets which allow flexible decisions.

Bill

Have you noticed that Pringles has come out with Pringles Light potato chips -- which are completely fat free? Taste rather chemically, but hook you on finishing the whole container just like the real chips!

Bill

If you love potato chips, have you tried Pop Chips? They are air-popped and therefore much less fat than traditional chips. I swear they taste great, not like baked chips (which to me don't have the satisfying CRUNCH! of good old-fashioned chips).

I don't care for the "fake" stuff like fat-free food (what do they put in it to make it taste good? Yikes!) I just want to point out fat free Pringles are made with Olean - and consuming a lot of that might cause tummy troubles. Politeness prevents me from going into detail, just Google it if you need to know more...:eek:

I just want to point out fat free Pringles are made with Olean - and consuming a lot of that might cause tummy troubles. Politeness prevents me from going into detail, just Google it if you need to know more...:eek:

Those Olean (Olestra) tummy troubles can sometimes lead to extra weight loss - if you don't mind the side effects! And if you can stay close to the rest room..... :eek: Sorry about the TMI....

Hey, Karinac, are you related to Johnny Carson's Great Karinac? Or was that Carnac? :)

Not all fat free food has something added to make it fat free. In skim milk, for example, the fat component is removed by centrifuge - nothing is added. In many fat free bars, it is a question of not including certain items (nuts, for example) to keep the fat content below 0.5 g per serving, which I believe is the usual criterion for a fat free label.

Bill

Hey, Karinac, are you related to Johnny Carson's Great Karinac? Or was that Carnac? :)

Not all fat free food has something added to make it fat free. In skim milk, for example, the fat component is removed by centrifuge - nothing is added. In many fat free bars, it is a question of not including certain items (nuts, for example) to keep the fat content below 0.5 g per serving, which I believe is the usual criterion for a fat free label.

Bill

I have been known to hold envelopes up to my forehead while trying to surmise the contents. If I determine that it's a bill, I send it straight to the round file. :p

Good point about skim milk and other fat free or low fat foods. I should have clarified, I'm steering away from fake food whenever possible. I can't cut it all out, but after years of "dieting" and thinking I'm doing good by eating "diet" cookies or chips, I'm finally learning that it doesn't work for me. I'd rather have real chocolate in moderation instead of diet candy that doesn't satisfy me, and sends me into a binge. Plus, I'm starting to eat clean - not 100%, mind you, but I have really started reading labels, and I decide on a case-by-case basis whether an item has too many ingredients that I can't pronounce. :rolleyes:

Those Olean (Olestra) tummy troubles can sometimes lead to extra weight loss - if you don't mind the side effects! And if you can stay close to the rest room..... :eek: Sorry about the TMI....

Are you sure that's "sand" in your pants?!?

:D hee hee hee! Sorry...had to say it! :p

Rum & Diet coke is carb free (as is all hard liquor), and only about 100 cals (assuming one shot). Mich Light has 4 carbs, 90 cals. Both of these drinks are only 2 points on Weight Watchers, if anyone follows that.

The ONLY way to lose weight is to burn more calories than you consume, whatever those calories are made of. THAT being said...for ME, I find that severely limiting carbs (particularly of the bread/grain group), the scale will budge easier.

Some people do better with a tight program...others do better when being allowed the things they love in moderation. You have to know what works for you. I don't do well when I have things I CAN'T eat (luckily I'm not a huge fan of carbs, except fruit--which seems to be fine for me), so I plan for the things I want.

There is the issue of drinking too much then eating too much...I find that as long as I have had dinner FIRST it is much easier to manage.

I went on WW last year and lost 30 lbs. It was really hard for the first 4 months and then it just clicked and became a way of life and I've been able to keep it off fairly easily. My drink of choice has been rum and diet, but while on a recent 5 day cruise- I did drink the frozen DODs and ate whatever I wanted and only gained 1 pound (don't know how that happened). What I do is this: First I calculate my points on a weekly basis, not daily (so if I go out to lunch and have a burger and fries...it balances out over the course of the week). Then I never eat after dinner, try to never drink my points (drink a lot of water), try to leave food on my plate when I eat out (eat small portions at home). Moderation is definitely the key. Oh and I try to replace white grains with wheat whenever I can.

Are you sure that's "sand" in your pants?!?

:D hee hee hee! Sorry...had to say it! :p

Snort! I love it! Thank God I've never had THAT much of a problem with my diet Ruffle potato chips.... :D

Recently I've switched over to spicy hummus & baked pita chips anyway - I agree with eating more "natural" foods. I really need to get off the Splenda, I think I'm trying to fool my body by thinking it's getting something sweet and it just rebels..... by the end of the day I'm practically inhaling my son's stash of Twinkies and DingDongs. Maybe a sprinkle of sugar in my coffee instead of Splenda, and a small square of real chocolate after lunch instead of those fake chocolate diet cookies would be a good switch to try - it couldn't hurt.

And ramp up the exercise a tad bit. Either that or give up my evening "drink while I'm fixing dinner".

Nah. :);):rolleyes:

Archived